Update solo2

slacky1230

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys

Not updated my box in a while it's running v2 and I want to update to the latest firmware if possible. Basically not been Able to download any plug ins because the firmware is old. Where do I start on getting my box updated to the latest clone safe firmware

Do a v3 update and flash a new image from vu-hd.com if you are using lorisun or from the downlad section if you are using sunray.

Isn't there a v4? Is there a back up image of the newest vix for lorisun?

Yeah, you can do a v4 update but most people do v3 then v4.Back up image ? I don't think so but check.

What's the difference between v3 and v4? If I back up the image and install fresh firmware can I use the back up to transfer all settings over?

I've just tried to do the update ran the update file but nothing happens. I'm using a rs232 to usb from my local computer shop. I think I'll need a better cable can any one point me in the right direct to one that works? Thanks

I would like to know this too. I would like to update my box, but not sure which rs232 to USB adapter to get. There are some on ebay for £2 and others for £12.

Thinking more about it, are you sure you have the correct port setting?. That tends to be the reason serial adapters don't work.

Have yous tryed switching the cable ends around this happened to me before.
And you.s can go from v2 to v4 no need for v3 and you might need windows net framework to be installed.

If netframework is not installed already .What you can do is google windows 7 usb installer then install this program on your desktop.then start w7 usb installer if netframework is not install this will download it for you let it finish after installed restart your computer then connected your lead again see what happens hopefully you should see comport installing.

Would you happen to know if generic USB/rs232 adapters will work?. The £2 Ebay ones almost seem too cheap.

Have yous tryed switching the cable ends around this happened to me before.
And you.s can go from v2 to v4 no need for v3 and you might need windows net framework to be installed.

If netframework is not installed already .What you can do is google windows 7 usb installer then install this program on your desktop.then start w7 usb installer if netframework is not install this will download it for you let it finish after installed restart your computer then connected your lead again see what happens hopefully you should see comport installing.

Haven't tried that. When I run the update and turn the box on nothing's happen on the update screen just stays black but the box just boots up normally. I know the com ports right because when I change USB port when opening the update software I get comport error message

Ok slacky230 do this if your on w7 right click on my computer { this pc w8 } go down to properties click this a new window opens goto Device manager now click on that and a new window opens again .

Now you should see ports [COM & LPT } in the list click the little marker on the left side then you should see Prolific usb-to-serial comm { com3}.Right click on this goto properties click on that .
Now on the top click port setting then go and click on advanced another window open and you will see Com port number put this on Com1 then click ok to save settings and you should be sorted now.

Sorry mate don't think I made myself clear in my last post I already changed it to com1

No problem slack1230 its must be that netframework is missing or usb serial drivers are missing .
You do need windows netframework installed .

When your flashing the firmware turn your box on within a second or two at most and try changing the lead ends around aswell .

Another thing worth trying is running hyperterm to see if you get any output from the box as it boots. My box and one other that I've seen, the serial port was working when the box was update to v2 and v3 but the serial chip on the daughter board had to be replaced in order to update to v4. So some time in between the serial port on the box stopped working.

Another thing worth trying is running hyperterm to see if you get any output from the box as it boots. My box and one other that I've seen, the serial port was working when the box was update to v2 and v3 but the serial chip on the daughter board had to be replaced in order to update to v4. So some time in between the serial port on the box stopped working.

IAmATeaf i had problem with serial port. Was initially working and i could see boot up messages etc. Then it went funny.. scrambling letters etc.. now it has stopped altogether. Do you have info on serial chips and how to fix it ?
Thanks.

I've found that once the rs232 port on the solo2 stops workings you have to replace the actual chip on the daughter board. I think it's a max232 chip but you should be able to get the numbers off it and do a Google.

Back