Unable to play existing Backups after SoftMod

qwertyasdfg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

My mate gave me his new wii that he just purchased which had f/w 3.3e.

I tried to copy the twighlight hack onto it after playing zelda once and doing the game save thing but it wudn copy over for some strange reason.

I updated the f/w to 3.4 by taking a system update then prepared an SD card as per the dummies tut in the stickies and installed the neccesarry WAD's and back-up channel etc..

I tried my existing back-ups in this wii using the back-up channel and only 2 worked out of 50 odd, i know these back-ups work as I have been using them in my own wii which has a pic chip with a YAOSM hex on it. I kept on getting DVD read error (349) or games would launch and then i would get a blank green screen.

I now tried to install starfall hopeing that this would help but I kept on getting an error 1022 when trying to install the cios_fix.wad.

I then searched around for answers through various threads on DW and found this link in a thread h**p://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112945

I followed all the instructions in that thread and used the files that were posted on that link also and managed to downgrade to 3.2e but I am still encountering the same issue's when trying to play my existing backups, I still have not installed starfall, will it make a difference if I do?

Any idea's on why my backups are not working on this wii and work fine on mine?

Any advise on this would be much appreciated.

Same goes for me
Most of my games dont work nomore after the installing softmii

Evening All,

I tried to copy the twighlight hack onto it after playing zelda once and doing the game save thing but it wudn copy over for some strange reason.

I updated the f/w to 3.4 by taking a system update then prepared an SD card as per the dummies tut in the stickies and installed the neccesarry WAD's and back-up channel etc..

I tried my existing back-ups in this wii using the back-up channel and only 2 worked out of 50 odd, i know these back-ups work as I have been using them in my own wii which has a pic chip with a YAOSM hex on it. I kept on getting DVD read error (349) or games would launch and then i would get a blank green screen.

I now tried to install starfall hopeing that this would help but I kept on getting an error 1022 when trying to install the cios_fix.wad.

I then searched around for answers through various threads on DW and found this link in a thread h**p://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112945

I followed all the instructions in that thread and used the files that were posted on that link also and managed to downgrade to 3.2e but I am still encountering the same issue's when trying to play my existing backups, I still have not installed starfall, will it make a difference if I do?

hi
try re loading the cios 249 wad then try again :)

are your backups on -R dvds softmods are very finicky about disks i had to change to verbatums -R to get compatability

edogg

yes i use verbatim dvd-r and i just downloaded tony hawks proving ground today and burned it at 2x and it still doesnt work
im using softmii v1

yes i use verbatim dvd-r and i just downloaded tony hawks proving ground today and burned it at 2x and it still doesnt work
im using softmii v1

you done it wrong m8. upgrade to 3.4 then ..

try 6bellys files;

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/posts/1477943/

Softmii v1 is rubbish anyway ;)

6bellys is custom softmii v0.9.5.

if u brick ur Wii you can blames him lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

reinstall cios_249.wad m8

you Need to have Starfall installed m8 it's not an option, using the dummys method.

Last edited:
I am using some unbranded DVD-r's which work fine in my wii which is chipped but they do not work in the soft modded wii, the only 2 games that do work on the soft modded wii are town hawks downhill jam and jenga which have been burnt on Datawrite DVD-r's. I am guna pick up some quality DVD-r's today and see if that makes a difference.

I have re-installed the cios_249.wad and have installed starfall too but I am still getting the same DVD read error (349) and some games launch but give me a blank green screen. None of the games burnt on the unbranded -r DVD's work at all, just get the read error, the Datawrite DVD-r's launch but only 2 work as mentioned above, the rest i get a blank green screen.

Whats this softmii stuff all about? is this another softmod? From taking into account Fisal's experiences I don't reckon I should try this modification!

Thanks again for all your time and help.

I was only able to get hold of a Verbatim DVD+RW and burnt a game to that and once again got the same result :-(
I will get hold of a -r tomorrow and give that a go.

For DVD+Rs you have to set the booktype. I think the Wii can't read RWs.

when i burn to dvd-rw philips the games work perfectly.
btw i did upgrade to 3.4 then tried do the softmod but still no luck with the other games.

you done it wrong m8. upgrade to 3.4 then ..

try 6bellys files;

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/posts/1477943/

Softmii v1 is rubbish anyway ;)

6bellys is custom softmii v0.9.5.

if u brick ur Wii you can blames him lol

just playing about with some files and hope to have a fullproof version ready soon gona change the hacks ini cause this seems to have better results for some, but you should try the file i posted cause i have had no issues.

not alll my work credit due you know who you are!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Success, the Verbatim DVD-r's did the trick, thanks for all your time, help and advise guys, much appreciated.

Success, the Verbatim DVD-r's did the trick, thanks for all your time, help and advise guys, much appreciated.

Guys,

Just for info, i have used Verbatim -r's for a couple of months on my soft modded wii with no problems.

When i went to get some last week they'd run out so i got some PHILIPS 16x -R's instead.

out of 10 dvd's burnt, only 3 worked. I got some Verbatim's today and copied FROM the bad Philips ones and they all work!

STEER CLEAR OF THE PHILIPS 16X DVD-R'S AND STICK TO THE VERBATIM'S.

JB6801.

Last edited:
ok ive used 6bellys files, everything installed ok
but not when the wii starts up just before the menu i cant press A
which wont let me get to the main menu
ive tried loading system menu throught preloader but still no success

EDIT

It seems to happen right after i install preloader,

Last edited:
Back