Unable to mount Windows XP shares on Dbox

gaizka71

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I do not know what I am doing wrong here...

Well, I have the PC and a Sagem dbox2 concected via crossover cable now, and I can ping the dbox, I can ftp with DCC, telnet.... I can watch my Divx using VLC 0.8.5 with the tutorial I got here (thanks guys!) but I am not able to mount any shares.
I have followed the instructions to mount a share to be able to play mp3 that we have here in dw.

1. - I have shared a folder in windows, create a new user, password dbox2, add this user to the permisions of the folder in windows.

2.- In the Dbox I have create a Csfs share with the Ip of my pc, change parameters like in the tutorial... to include the user and the password, change ro to rw.... etc. the only thing is that my image does not incluce de /mnt in the /var, the /mnt directory is at the same level as /var... (does it matter?)

When I finish changing the parameters, I go mount now, get no error whatsoever, but when I go audoplayer, add, and look in the /mnt folder I can not see my musika folder.... it is nowhere to be seen...

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help again, much appreciated

Ok best thing to do is probably start from scratch.

Don't create a new name for shares unless you are going to log onto it (i dont know if this works correctly) All you need to do is create a password for your current name. Say your main user ID was administrator.....

Username: Administrator
Password: Biscuits1

Create a folder on the C: Drive called "Dbox" inside that folder create 3 sub folders "MP3", "Movies", "Pics". Right click on the "Dbox" folder and click "Sharing and Security". Tick "Share this folder..." and also tick "Allow users to..."

For all intents and purposes the PC is set up now its onto the dbox.

Press Dbox then go down to "Network". As long as you can Ping the box etc just go down to Mount Network Volume. Select the first one on the list and change the Type to CIFS and the IP to 192.168.0.205. Directory share is "Dbox" local directory is "/mnt" if anything such as "/mnt/blah" is there then select it then press left 2ice to go back 2 steps then select "/mnt". Mount on startup can be set to yes or no depending on whether you want to do it manually or not. Mount Options should be changed to "Rw" for the first part. Username should be changed to "Administrator" an password to "Biscuits1".

Select mount now.

To check that its working on your pc create a new file in the dbox folder. Do this by simply right clicking going to new and select text file. Rename the textfile test.ts. On the PC go into movie player then select Play .TS. Once in there make sure that filebrowser says /MNT. If it says "/mnt/blah" then press left to go back a level and then you should see the "Movies", "MP3" and "Pics" folders. Depending where you created the .ts file you should either see it there or you should be able to select "Movies" and it will be in there.

Scotster

well,
it did not work, I pointed to /mnt and did all the rest, but there is nothing there...
I tried playing a ts file and it went straight to /nfs/ which was empty, went one back and I was in / and I could not see nfs anymore.....

could it be possible that the mount option has been disabled on the image I am running?

what image are you running m8? is it pachino 2.1 if so i had the exact same problem so i reverted back to an old image (sportster 1.7+ uk05) and all workins fine now :)

A good way to test if the mount is setup orperly is this...

I'm using Pacino 2.1.

Goto SETTINGS > NETWORK

After clicking 'Mount Now'...it goes back to the 'Mount Network Volume' page.

Select 'Back'
Select 'Unmount Network Volume'

If the mount is working ok, you will be given the option to choose the mount that you want to unmount. If the mount is not set up properly, the screen just flickers when you select unmount network volume.

Gday Gaizka, I too have exactly the same problem, I am using the Pacino 2.1 Image, so I can only guess it is a bug with the image (or me just being stupid :banana: ), can't really say. I can say though that everything else is great on the image. Has anybody else experienced this problem and found a work around? I would really like to keep this image on because it is great except for the Mounting problem!
One thing I did check was the port that it needs open (8080) from memory, I am running My Dbox through a Netgear wireless router for network connection so I made sure port 8080 was added to the ports list and also on my PC's network card. Didn't make any difference so I am out of ideas!

Qball
:)

Check the output of the mount command in your bootlog.

I am running Pacino 2.1 and the mount function works ok.

Maybe it's a problem with your PC or the account/folder permissions.

Make sure that the network connection has File and Printer Sharing enabled.

Scotster said:
Ok best thing to do is probably start from scratch.

Don't create a new name for shares unless you are going to log onto it (i dont know if this works correctly) All you need to do is create a password for your current name. Say your main user ID was administrator.....

Username: Administrator
Password: Biscuits1

Create a folder on the C: Drive called "Dbox" inside that folder create 3 sub folders "MP3", "Movies", "Pics". Right click on the "Dbox" folder and click "Sharing and Security". Tick "Share this folder..." and also tick "Allow users to..."

For all intents and purposes the PC is set up now its onto the dbox.

Press Dbox then go down to "Network". As long as you can Ping the box etc just go down to Mount Network Volume. Select the first one on the list and change the Type to CIFS and the IP to 192.168.0.205. Directory share is "Dbox" local directory is "/mnt" if anything such as "/mnt/blah" is there then select it then press left 2ice to go back 2 steps then select "/mnt". Mount on startup can be set to yes or no depending on whether you want to do it manually or not. Mount Options should be changed to "Rw" for the first part. Username should be changed to "Administrator" an password to "Biscuits1".

Select mount now.

To check that its working on your pc create a new file in the dbox folder. Do this by simply right clicking going to new and select text file. Rename the textfile test.ts. On the PC go into movie player then select Play .TS. Once in there make sure that filebrowser says /MNT. If it says "/mnt/blah" then press left to go back a level and then you should see the "Movies", "MP3" and "Pics" folders. Depending where you created the .ts file you should either see it there or you should be able to select "Movies" and it will be in there.

Scotster

All works fine for me on Pacino 2.1 thanks for TUT :Cheers:

devilfish said:
Maybe it's a problem with your PC or the account/folder permissions.

Make sure that the network connection has File and Printer Sharing enabled.

Thanks for your input guys... It has to be something with the image, let me explain.
I had another image that was not autoroll, so I had to enter the keys manually, and with that image, and the same pc, same folder settings and same share, I was able to share and mount my shares on the dbox, to play mp3.
I then found another image that is autoroll, which is great as my cable provider is getting very annoying changing keys every other day, so this is the image that is going to stay, but I can not mount the shares, I can play divx from the pc, but can not mount.
Another thing I have noticed is that the new image does not allow me access to the tuxbox, it has some new tool called Gbox ... any ideas... I could upload the image if you fancy having a look at it...;-)

gaizka71

do you want the image that i am using for my dbox2 i can email it to you it is let me know m8

Thanks bladesftp, would it do autoroll with my cable provider? that is the question,

I tried some of the images here in dw and for the free channels they worked a treat but to be a able to decode the rest we need to enter some data into the image... and the problem is I do not know how or where the info in the image is...

It would be great if someone with the knowledge were so kind as to tell me where to get the info in the working image so I can put it in the uk image.... am I asking too much...;-)

if you think that your image would work for my cabel company "Euskaltel" please email me the image, I have a current back up of the one that I am using at the moment so....

And as I said earlier, if anyone wants to have a look a my current image, ask, I will email or upload no problem.

Thanks

what box do you have is it a 1x or 2x

whats your email m8 and i'll send you my image so you can try it out worth a try eh ya never know it might work

Hi,

I know that the autoroll is not going to work... but it is worth a try.
Please email to gaizka71 @ hotmail.com

I forgot, It is a 2x sagem ;-)
thanks

Last edited:
Double check all your network settings....

Default Gateway
DNS Server
Have you changed your PC's IP address?

Thanks for your answer, but It is not a network configurarion issue as I can ftp, telnet and play videos with vlc... it is just that it does not mount the shares...
and I do not think i need to configure a GAteway or a DNS server, I do not want the dbox access the internet ...yet... ;-)

@gaizka71, upload your image here and I will take a look at it. You probably just need to rip our the cams' etc and edit your autoupdate files.

@i'm back,

Thanks a lot for your help.
I will do that tonight when I get home, but how can I upload the image here, do I have to go to the uploads section?

Last edited:
Back