Two wireless routers???? Help???

Ajbathija

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey All. Help. I really need it. I have a problem.....here goes....

I have an office which has has modem router connected to a wireless router. Everyone therefore has internet connection and access to the network within the offce.

Now.....I have since taken the office next door. The problem is that I have two wireless laptops in that office that i want connected to the same network. The current router has a fixed non removable aerial (Netgear Router). The signal is just not strong enough to allow the office next door to connect.

Well......any ideas?? have I explained problem clealy?? I'm waiting.

Thanks

Ajay

netgear have a range extender for internal use- basically it replaces one of the aerials or both if you want and not only makes the aerial longer by 2mtrs, but also gives a boosted signal.

If that fails then you can get long distance aerials from netgear, but these are normally meant for external use, but work fine inside.

You could also try changing the wireless channel to see if one of the others gives you a better signal strength, sometimes the default channel is not the best.

What sort of distance we talking? if its far then both linksys and smc have released(for the uk) a wireless repeater(internal), so you can extend signals by adding on more access points.

My son wanted to put his xbox and ps2 online from his bedroom, I got a linksys access point (£50 pc world), set it up on my computer, told it repeater mode it did a search found my network then asked for the wep.

I took it upstairs put it on an old network switch and he can now play online to his hearts content without bringing his rubbish downstairs.

You can put it as a standalone unit between your office and the wireless router for seamless integration to your existing network.

I can't remember but I think you have to set the ssid the same, but the autoconfig may do that anyway.

Back