TV License reminder email from Ebuyer!!

I get them all the time (I've had 5 in the last 12 months) I just ignore them, if they want to come round and check then that's up to them (they haven't done so yet) but they can get stuffed if they think I am wasting a phonecall doing their job for them.

Just to set the record straight, you don't need a TV licence to buy or own any TV receiving equipment but you do need one to use them i.e. receive a television broadcast, this includes TV's, DVB boxes, recording onto video/DVD, PC's (doesn't have to have a TV card), and mobile phones (yes even them), basically anything that can receive a TV broadcast, whether that is through an aerial, a dish, the internet, or a mobile network.

Watch TV on anything and the tw*ts want your money.

Joe

sorry m8 but the law is if it can receive ( has a tuner ) or record tv then you must have a tv licence
by the way how many people even watch bbc on a regular basis
coz fooking dont and i still have to pay the bcc for the privilege of watching other channels

youre wrong there buddy, to be able to recieve it has to have a signal. you dont need a licence if its just connected to a dvd player for example

youre wrong there buddy, to be able to recieve it has to have a signal. you dont need a licence if its just connected to a dvd player for example

defo think the law changed as peeps were recording programs then watchin so they included dvd players and the like could be wrong tho lol

no you are correct m8. But only if it has a tv card in it. I bought a tv card from pc world a while back and they told me they would inform tv licencesing about that.
Total stitch up they have got us all ways lol.

nop not true!! bbc broadcast on the net, you need a licence to watch it. if you got a comp, internet you need a licence! full stop. it is also a legal requirement, has been for may years, to report to the licensing authority, any tv equipment sold. true not every retailer does it, all the time, but the law says they should!

From the BBC's website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm said:
Do I need a licence?
The law says that anyone who uses a TV, or any other device, to receive TV signals, must buy a licence.

This includes video recorders, set-top boxes and DVD recorders.

You will also need a licence if you use your computer to watch live broadcasts.

Why do I need a licence for my PC?
You only need a licence if you use your computer to watch programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

Before now, this has not been a major problem as very few programmes are available simultaneously on air and online.

Computer users only needed a TV licence if they had a special video card that could receive TV signals.

The TV Licensing Authority says you need a licence to watch any TV station broadcasting within the UK on your computer.

However, you are free to watch archived programmes or downloadable clips without a licence.
Link: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Q&A: The TV licence and your PC - (please note the date published.)

However, with the popularity of the iplayer the BBC is conducting/has conducted a review to see if they can convince the government the TV Licence law should apply to downloaded 'broadcasts' - much like they currently cover 'delayed' broadcast when it comes to VCR/DVD recorders etc. Source: How to dodge TV licence fee: just watch repeats on your computer - Times Online

Last edited:
I got stung on this as well ! lol

Brought a little 14inch tv/dvd crt combo for kids room, on debit card.. in tesco. Was not asked to fill out anything... got letter from tv licensing saying where i brought it, when I brought, it etc....

so could only of got them details from my bank id think ?

I got stung on this as well ! lol

Brought a little 14inch tv/dvd crt combo for kids room, on debit card.. in tesco. Was not asked to fill out anything... got letter from tv licensing saying where i brought it, when I brought, it etc....

so could only of got them details from my bank id think ?

Did you use a clubcard registered to your address? I'm sure a member in a previous thread about the TV licence made a cash purchase but put it on a loyalty card (may have even digi) and got 'contacted'.

Last edited:
Did you use a clubcard registered to your address? I'm sure a member in a previous thread about the TV licence made a cash purchase but put it on a loyalty card (may have even digi) and got 'contacted'.

Nope, no clubcard lol

just bank card, got receipt an walked off.

i had one of the licensing people in my house, i told him that unless he had a warrant then id refuse entry, he then cautioned me (anything you say blah blah) so i carefully had him take note that just because i havent told the police i dont have a gun, they aint knocking my door asking to check, he pointed out that i have a satellite dish on the side of the house, i pointed out that on MY van behind him, in big letters, it said 'broadband via satellite'

once he realised that i know that his caution was useless and that he couldnt possible come back with a warrant he asked what my kids watch, so i said they have a telly in every room, with a dvd player

in the end i let him in on the promise that id have a written apology before he got back out of the house when he saw i dont need a license, and i got my apology

i used a debit card to buy my girlfriend a telly, and they got my details from my bank via the tescos transaction, i think that was 2 years ago

Hmm - I work in a shop and afaik for every customer that we dont supply details to TVL we get fined £4000, so we supply them!

h**p://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/tvdealers.jsp

I brought a usb dvb dongle from pcworld and got the letter - fair enough
But what really pissed me off was when I purchaced a projector from argos that has no tuner in of any kind they forced me to leave details for this purpose, stupid argos:Chainsaw:

How do we notify you of a sale or rental?

-
First you need to register with us as a dealer.

i refused to register as a dealer, as have sky

its not law that you register, but once you register, you then become an official BBC tax collector

Hmm - I work in a shop and afaik for every customer that we dont supply details to TVL we get fined £4000, so we supply them!

h**p://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/tvdealers.jsp

I brought a usb dvb dongle from pcworld and got the letter - fair enough
But what really pissed me off was when I purchaced a projector from argos that has no tuner in of any kind they forced me to leave details for this purpose, stupid argos:Chainsaw:

Argos are TW*TS for it, I was buying a portable DVD player from there last year and they refused to sell it to me unless I gave them my details, I tried to explain that I didn't need to because it had no tuner but they wouldn't have it so I told them to stick it and then told them that I was going to report them to tv licensing. I emailed tv licensing the next day but still haven't had a reply 8 months later, that's why I never answer their letters, usless gits.

Joe

anything "portable"( with a separate power supply, allowing it to be powered by a battery/12v connection), even a 42 inch lcd or plasma, does not require a licence. but a 15 inch, with built-in power supply, does! they still need "registered" though.

Back