TV has no headphone socket....solutions please. :-)

M3NTAL

Banned
Reaction score
My Wife has been complaining that I've been playing Call of Duty MW3 too loud so I thought I'd plug a set of headphones into the TV and crank up the volume - only to find out that the fecking TV has no headphone socket!

Is there anyway to get the audio from the TV bearing in mind that the console is connected via HDMI, ideally something along the lines of a HDMI cable with a pair of standard left and right audio phono sockets as I already have a Phono <> Headphone adapter.

I know I can buy a SCART lead that has the phono breakouts but I'm not willing to loose the HDTV connection.

You could get the hdmi optical adaptor for the Xbox as it also has red/white phono jacks on it so you could then get a cheap red/white to 3.5mm adaptor and plug your headphones in that way. Or you could go the more expensive route and get a turtle beach headset and have 5.1 surround headphones :)

You'd be best getting some headphones with a volume control on it though as you wouldn't be able to control the volume otherwise if you use the adaptor :)

is it a ps3 or xbox. i used to have the ps3 connected using hdmi but also the standard composite av cable and just changed the audio out setting depending on if i wanted sound through the tv or headphones

I was hoping the TV would allow an option for audio out but it doesn't appear to have one. My original plan was to view the HDMI source onscreen and somehow route the HDMI audio to one of the other audio output sockets.

I was hoping for a nice cheap solution but it looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some money, although I really don't want to have yet another black box (amp) sitting beneath my TV, it's way over crowded as it is. lol

Last edited:
might be worth getting a blu ray and amp all in one, if having seperate items bothers you. i know where your coming from on that i have 6 remotes for my setup.

you could learn to lip read or turn subs on :) MERRY CHRISTMAS

I was hoping the TV would allow an option for audio out but it doesn't appear to have one. My original plan was to view the HDMI source onscreen and somehow route the HDMI audio to one of the other audio output sockets.

I was hoping for a nice cheap solution but it looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some money, although I really don't want to have yet another black box (amp) sitting beneath my TV, it's way over crowded as it is. lol

If its just so you can play the Xbox then my way isn't expensive, get a second hand Xbox optical adaptor a red n white audio lead a red/white to 3.5mm adaptor (all cheap on eBay) and pair of headphones with a volume control :)

Back