turning off pc problem

kimhthwy1958

Inactive User
Reaction score
When i go to start then pess turn off computer a do not the next get the screen in the middle of moniter thats say turn of or restart how do i get it back please. Any help appreciated.

Regards Kim

Last edited:
Sorry, i'm not going to be much help here, because I haven't got a clue. But as far as I know, there isn't an on/off switch for that window anywhere in windows, other than perhaps the registry.

I don't know if a virus could do that.

When i go to start then pess turn off computer a do not the next get the screen in the middle of moniter thats say turn of or restart how do i get it back please. Any help appreciated.

Regards Kim

Never heard of losing the shutdown command before mate, have found this on the comp, hope it's some help to you.

Create Shortcut Wizard

Instead of clicking Start>Turn Off Computer and selecting Shutdown or Restart, you can create desktop icons which automatically shutdown or restart your PC with just a double-click. This tweak makes use of the Shutdown.exe command to create a new shortcut as follows:

Shutdown Icon

1. Right click on an empty area on your desktop.

2. Select New>Shortcut.

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "Shutdown -s -t 00" (without quotes). Click Next.

4. Call the shortcut something like "Shutdown PC" (without quotes) and click Finish.

5. To add the finishing touch, right click on this new icon, select Properties, click the Change Icon button and select an appropriate icon.

Reboot Icon

Follow the same steps as for the Shutdown Icon, but substitute the following steps in place of the corresponding ones above:

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "Shutdown -r -t 00" (without quotes). Click Next.

4. Call the shortcut something like "Restart PC" without quotes and click Finish.

Note that double-clicking on these icons will shutdown or restart the PC straight away without any warning. If you want a countdown before a shutdown or restart, substitute a time in seconds in place of the '00' entries in the shortcut properties above (e.g. Shutdown -s -t 10 gives 10 seconds warning before shutting down). Also note that once the shutdown or restart process begins via an icon, it can't be aborted. If you want more command line switches which can be used with the shutdown command, open a command prompt and type "shutdown" (without quotes) to see the full list of switches.

Muskrat

If you only see the logout / logoff option then the user that you are logged in as doesn't have shutdown rights to the PC.

This is probably because the user is not an administrator account of the PC. To solve this login as the administrator and look in Control Panel | User Accounts. You will be able to change the user to an admin. Then you should have the shutdown / restart options.

Never heard of losing the shutdown command before mate, have found this on the comp, hope it's some help to you.

Create Shortcut Wizard

Instead of clicking Start>Turn Off Computer and selecting Shutdown or Restart, you can create desktop icons which automatically shutdown or restart your PC with just a double-click. This tweak makes use of the Shutdown.exe command to create a new shortcut as follows:

Shutdown Icon

1. Right click on an empty area on your desktop.

2. Select New>Shortcut.

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "Shutdown -s -t 00" (without quotes). Click Next.

4. Call the shortcut something like "Shutdown PC" (without quotes) and click Finish.

5. To add the finishing touch, right click on this new icon, select Properties, click the Change Icon button and select an appropriate icon.

Reboot Icon

Follow the same steps as for the Shutdown Icon, but substitute the following steps in place of the corresponding ones above:

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "Shutdown -r -t 00" (without quotes). Click Next.

4. Call the shortcut something like "Restart PC" without quotes and click Finish.

Note that double-clicking on these icons will shutdown or restart the PC straight away without any warning. If you want a countdown before a shutdown or restart, substitute a time in seconds in place of the '00' entries in the shortcut properties above (e.g. Shutdown -s -t 10 gives 10 seconds warning before shutting down). Also note that once the shutdown or restart process begins via an icon, it can't be aborted. If you want more command line switches which can be used with the shutdown command, open a command prompt and type "shutdown" (without quotes) to see the full list of switches.

Muskrat

Thank you very much did the job. Rep added

Back