Tuner soldering advice

Syntax

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have an old nokia 2x in the loft somewhere which hasn't seen action in quite some time. The problem was that the socket for the cable feed snapped off the back of the tuner. I did try and solder a cable to the tuner directly but my soldering skills are so damned bad that i think i ended up burning the board.

I was thinking about DVB-C cards and the like the other night, and it struck me that the old nokia might be fixable.

I will boot the thing up some time this week and see if i can't grab a bootlog from it, but assuming the only thing wrong with it is that damned cable feed input, i was hoping for some soldering advice.

I have a cheap 30w iron with some silver-compound solder that i am very very bad at using. I think i've burned the tracks away around the point on the tuner where the feed goes in. Is anyone experienced enough with these tuners to tell me exactly what components should be running to that feed. I might be able to sort something out with it then. For instance, if the burnt track simply runs to component X and Y in parallel i might be able to either desolder the feed-side legs of those components and solder them to the feed direct, or at least solder some fresh cable to the feed-side legs of those components and solder that to the feed.

If anyone has any good advice regarding soldering of these tiny fragile components i would greatly appreciate it. I have no other iron and to be honest i think this one might be a little hot for the job. Does anyone have any tips that will prevent me from releasing the blue smoke?

At any rate i figure it's worth a try. There is literally nothing wrong with that box other than the sodding feed input. (Hopefully anyway - it's been a while since i've had it on!)

Syntax

Back