Tuner now gone :(

ChrisUK

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ah well. i thought I had escaped it, but my tuner in my cloned DM800 (2 months old) has now goine kaput !

I always had the "Tuner Failed" messages on the HD channels, but after 2 mins of warming up, it picked them all up no problem.

I had all of my channels either black out of become majorly blocky earlier on today, so a quick reboot of the box sorted it out.

Tonight though, it wouldnt pick up anything, & the channels it could pick up were very blocky (similar to a digi box pic when there is a low signal).

I took my tuner out, booted up box without it, powered back down, then put back tuner.

It picks up a lot more than it did, but is missing several HD channels (Sky1 HD for instance), while CH5 is just a mass of blocks.

Getting Tuner Error messgaes as well as black screens.

I'm not sure if it is due to overheating.

I know many people have complained about the fan being very noisy, but i have never heard mine until today. I heard it start up when I put the tuner back in, very noisy !!!!

That made me think that it may not have been plugged in & functioning correctly from day 1.............

Is there anything else I can try, or do I need to order a new tuner (I think it would be cheaper buying a new tuner than sending back my box....) ?

If so, where is the best place to buy from ?

Thanks all

Chris

Just replace the C1 capacitor on the tuner board with anything that has SMD mount 1000uF and 6.3V.

Any chance there is a guide anywhere mate ?

Would the likes of maplins have these in stock, want to try & sort it ASAP.

Thanks

Just to note, I'm not getting any channels now - all gone :(

Chris,
I was exactly in the same situation as yours.
Everything was more than perfect and I was wondering what that Tuner discussion was all about.
All of a sudden though my tuner "died".
In fact the chip U400 felt from the tuner board one night !!!
I soldered it back but since then : HD not tuning in when cold, tuning became a problem, .... nothing was nice & easy as it was.

I was considering swapping that C1 capacitor on the tuner board but sent the tuner back to China instead.
But I think I'll have to do it....

Would you need help, check the forum there is a good discussion about it.

Good luck

Thanks mate.

Is thier a pic of what capacitors should/shouldn't be on the tuner board ?

When I had it off last night, there were no loose capacitors or anything rattling around the box !

Hi Chris..

Remember me from HUD.. chiptivo.

I am right miffed with my box, as it reboots when tuning into any HD S2 channels...

Anyway, I tried a replacment tuner and it was not that, I have also tried replacing a few capacitors on the main board, again still reboots.

Anyway, have a check on this forum

Tuner - Dreambox Made in China OEM Forum

Pics of the capacitor mod, although it may not be your problem.

I borrowed a tuner from someone on here which worked great but does not fix the problem.

He either wanted the money, or the tuner back. With postage it would be around £30 if you are interested???

It is very stable, and works very well, used it for 2-3 days with no issues.

Hi mate,

May take you up on that, want to try this capacitor "fix" 1st though.

Little bit of indiference on the web though regarding the C1 capacitor.

Do I need to switch it out for a 6.3V or a 16V 1000uf ?

Been looking at this pic

FIX_Tuner_Rev_K_small.jpg

Just to note, I removed the tuner again & it's a RevJ Tuner.

Doesnt look like any are missing (U400 firmly in place).

Just going to remove fan & put back in for the time being.

Cleared some snow off my dish, and most channels are working again (heavy snow stopped for the time being), but Channel 5 & Sky1 HD still not working !

I just need to work out which voltage C1 capo I need, then I'll order (wanted to go out to Maplins to get one, but too much snow on the road to drive anywhere at the minute !!).

As well as the Voltage capacitor I'm waiting on. can anyone tell me if I can solder the new capacitor in the same place as the one I'm removing, or will I need to solder in the place stated on the last pic i posted ?

Thanks

Is Farnell UK down ?

Put capacitor in basket, but couldnt pay for it or get back onto the site !!!

Going for the 6.3V one........

Also ordered a USB fan for the top of the box :)

Just need to know now if I can solder the new capacitor in the old ones position ?

I got a dm800hd from BCT a couple of months ago that had a problem on some channels on 28.2 E I tried line amp and various other mods but had no luck, until I read somewhere that the Alps tuner was fussy about LNBs that were attached to it..so i swapped out my dual smart lnb for an Alps one and the problems have disappeared, the box is running sweet with about 8 different images on meoboot and likra setting loaded.
Has anyone else tried changing their LNB?
ps the box has sim2.01 and bl75
cheers
pako

Tried the C1 fix, but it's still exactly the same :(

No HD channels (apart from BBC HD), and 95% of SD channels are glitchy, or say tune failed !!!!!!!!!!!

Ah crap.

Feel like a numpty now.

Just packed away the DM800 & got the Eagle back out & set-up........

Guess what, all the standard channels are glitching....

Obviously suggesting something else is the issue (after ripping apart my damn DM800 tuner!).

SNR dropped, AGC dropped & BER fluctuating wildly.

Dish alighment (may have moved with the snow !), LNB or wiring issues (with ice) ?

Any idea's so I can take a look tomorrow ?

Plugged Eagle into Sky Dish & pic is perfect :(

I am such a tit - lesson learnt I think !!

Right !

Time to resolve me incompetance !!

I got my sat finder out (had DM500 plugged in) & fixed my dish position & elevation again.

Once all my channels were working again, I re-soldered the new capacitor to the DM800 tuner (thought I might as well add the new one rather than putting the old one back in).

Put it all back together & my DM800 is working 100% perfectly again !!!!

All SD & HD channels seem to be fine (I dont know why, but I dont even need my inline amp anymore, the HD channels are 100% glitch free - so the new capacitor must have something to do with that).

As an extra bonus, I removed the fan & put it back in at a different angle, so now it is about 50% quieter !

I still have my external USB on order, so still may take it out, I'll see how I feel :)

Once again, check satellite before anything else (my signal on 28.2E looked OK, but my BER was all over the place - I had to move the dish on the motor slightly, but also had to adjust the elevation, so bear that in mind).

Anyways - big lesson learnt from me, just glad I'm all sorted again :)

its probably a good idea to try your box in someone else's house first before you do anything.well done in getting it sorted:Clap:

Back