Trying to but a cable box on Ebay - read this

a_kerr

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know how many of you people out there have tried buying cable boxes off of Ebay - it aint always easy! As far as Ebay are concerned the sale of these items are prohibited, and they will therefore remove any such listings they become aware of. I've been watching/bidding on a number of these over the last few weeks, only to have them removed several days later before auction close. A pain in the ass - but no great loss.

The problem I had was I spotted a suitable box, on a 1 Day auction listing. Great I thought, this could go through to closure before anyone realises - and it did. I came in at the last minute with the winning bid. What's more I paid way too much, but I was getting desperate and had wasted more than enough time trying to get one.

I contacted the seller, who was obviously a regular user with over 1000+ positive feedback. Emails were exchanged, always with quick replies. I paid immediately through Paypal and waited for my box. Two days later I received an email from EBay, saying the item was cancelled as it was in violation of their selling policies, and that I didn't have to go ahead with the purchase - a bit bloody late, two days after I had paid!

The only contact info I can get from EBay is an email address and a mobile phone number (that is NEVER switched on - goes straight to answering machine everytime). The seller continues to trade on EBay on a daily basis. They answer emails from other addresses - but not mine. Because Ebay removed the item, as far as they concerned the transaction was never completed, but as far as i'm concerned it was - I paid for the item. I can't leave feedback or anything. I've contacted Paypal to try and get my money back, but from what I've read elsewhere I won't get any support from them on an "illegal" item. If i'm lucky I might see something out of it way down the line, but i'm not very hopefull.

So, the bottom line. It looks as if this seller got a VERY good price for the box, was paid immediately, then possibly reported the selling violation to EBay themselves (or got a friend or alias to do it for them). Once the item has been removed there's nothing you can do - you can't request contact details, you cant leave feedback, etc, etc. All you can do is send emails, which are easily ignored.

For everyones information, the sellers EBay ID is headboxed1. I've seen her sell at least two boxes this week, so buyers beware.

Anyone else wanting to buy one of these through Ebay might be advised to request a land line telephone number or a postal address then trying to contact the seller on the information received before completing a transaction.

Hope this helps others.

odd that she puts her addy on the listing also has another box up for sale
Seller's payment instructions
PLEASE MAKE ALL CHEQUES AND POSTAL ORDERS OUT TO MISS L DAY 12 VICTORIA TERRACE, MIDDLESBROUGH CLEVELAND TS2 1SR, UPON RECEIPT OF PAYMENT GOODS WILL BE DESPATCHED,PLEASE ALLOW FOR CLEARENCE OF CHEQUES...P.S IF PAYING VIA PAYPAL PLEASE ADD 4% TO COVER COSTS..THANKS.. THANKS FOR LOOKING AND BIDDING .... POSTAGE WILL VARY FOR OUTSIDE UK..

if you look at the negitive feedback there is at least one other person that has brought the same box and not recived it http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=headboxed1&Dirn=Received+by
ttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=96970&item=5754978697&rd=1

You can get paypal involved, go to the resolution center once you logged in and file a claim
paypal will then hold the money until the dispute is settled

they will email the seller involved and will ask them for proof of postage, if the seller ignores emails from paypal then paypal will refund you your monies

I had won a simlar auction and got a confirmation email from ebay, I paid up using paypal the 2 hours later I get the email from ebay saying that this item had been removed from there database, but in this case the seller hounored the deal

damage said:
P.S IF PAYING VIA PAYPAL PLEASE ADD 4% TO COVER COSTS..THANKS.. THANKS FOR LOOKING AND BIDDING .... POSTAGE WILL VARY FOR OUTSIDE UK..

thats a listing violation in itself adding a surcharge

she lives about 15 mins wlk away from me .. want me to go round and bust the bint's ass?

OShady........... I like your style, we're on the same wavelength! I'm 250miles away in Glasgow, but she's got me so pissed off I've thought about jumping in the car a few times! lol

Having said that, her EBay & Paypal name is Jacqueline Mallis, so it makes me wonder when she asks cheques to be posted to Miss L. Day? Maybe just some postal address she is using?

Looking closer at her feedback, I can see i'm not alone in being messed around by her. The real annoying thing is that I cant leave feedback or anything since EBay removed the item. I never thought that they would remove something after auction close.

It's amazing how quick she was to answer emails and how helpfull she was before the sale. She promised (i know, i'm gullable! lol) to post the item immediately after payment was received, and was happy to use Special "Next Day" Delivery if I paid the extra postage - which I did! Doh!

She is very active on EBay, and you'ld be amazed at how quickly you get a reply if you are enquiring about the sale of an item, but once you've paid for something that's a different story..........

A claim has been filed with Paypal, but I've heard they might not follow through due to it being an "illegal" item.

As for her, well the worst that is going to happen to her is the funds will be returned to me (after a lot of hastle and time), but there will be no opertunity for me to leave her the feedback she deserves! Since Ebay cancelled the listing, she has become virtually "untouchable". Perhaps a point for others to bear in mind if they proceed with a cancelled listing.

i always read feedback first and tbh if i would have read hers first i would not buy feck all repost her to e aby and have the account suspended

why don't you bid £5000 on all her listings under a new name on Ebay that way she will not be selling anything until she sends your goods give her a bit of her own medcine and you a bit of revenge therapy.

Maybe if she thought that she'd get quite a few peeps putting false bids in, and asking silly questions all the time then she might cough up!
Just a thought though, perhaps she hasnt the same email addy that she set up with ebay, and maybe its being sent late or something?

Also, it could be disgruntled customers that are reporting the illegal listings. Which you cant blame them for:).
Most of the good feedback is for tuppence ha'penny jewellery.

On a more positive note i've just bought a dbox on ebay 72 quid, plus postage (£15)
it arrived in 3 days, well packed, as described, all leads, a rubbish cd with german instructions.

it came with boxcracker 3.5, I used the services from this site, and hooray! it worked

ebay user: stefford2002

Paypal Refunded

Hi, well the good news is I appear to have had my money refunded by Paypal. However, i still feel like a loser. I wasted days and days (a whole week practically)waiting in the house for the delivery that the lying b**ch promised had been sent! Not to mention the time, hastle and stress of the whole thing. It appears that she has pulled this trick a few times, and continually re-lists similar boxes, so buyers beware! As I said earlier, she is pretty untouchable once Ebay has cancelled the item - the worst that can happen is she is forced to refund after a period of time, provided the buyer has the patience and stamina to keep chasing it!

All I can say now is that the whole episode has put me off Pace boxes, and i'm now going down the dBox 2 route. Just bought a Nokia off of EBay (from a 100% feedback EBay'r). Shame about the time and money I invested in learning the workings of Pace boxes and buying programmers, etc, not to mention the fact that i'm once again back at the bottom of a very steep learning curve - but I know i'll get there with the help of all the good people on this forum! Thanks again everyone.

Back