Trojan virus

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys a trojan has took over my home page on my pooter. Its called searchnu.com/412. I have run all scans and this virus won't let me complete the task windows shuts down. I have removed it in my add/remove programme but its still there lurking. Can anyone help please?. :(

Update on the pooter guys, right I have it back now it had a full health check and the report states it needs a serious update and some files could be corrupt. This is not the reply I was looking for from these people. The searchnu is still set as my homepage and it cannot be changed to Google this virus thing is stopping me.Should I take it back?

Update on the pooter guys, right I have it back now it had a full health check and the report states it needs a serious update and some files could be corrupt. This is not the reply I was looking for from these people. The searchnu is still set as my homepage and it cannot be changed to Google this virus thing is stopping me.Should I take it back?

There is no point m8 they couldn't fix it the first time,bunch of muppets,

Its time to format and reinstall m8,its the best way,
so get everything you need from it to a separate folder or usb stick,and then just run a virus scan on that,
if clean back it up somewhere safe,as you need to know thats clean before it goes back on to your lovely shiny new OS install :)

Then install the OS and put your stuff back on,obviously you will have to reinstall certain programs etc,also try get a copy of windows with SP1 already integrated to save on the update ;)

if i were you i be getting another hdd and put new o/s on it and use the infected drive
as a spare,then transfer what you need to the new drive

They suggested that I should have windows 7 installed on it, I am on Vista at the moment. Do you think they didn't repair it because it was to corrupted?. They never said anything in the shop only that it was ready??. :(

They suggested that I should have windows 7 installed on it

So that they can sell you something, not fix the problem and charge you for the privilege. PC World are a bunch of useless moronic d**khead's, primarily because they employ anyone off the street or people with paper credentials, if your on Vista I would wipe it and install Win7, it's slicker anyway and fixes quite a few of Vista's issues.

If you don't do as I suggested, boot it into safe mode and run Malmarebytes

Alternatively run hijack this and report the results here.

So that they can sell you something, not fix the problem and charge you for the privilege. PC World are a bunch of useless moronic d**khead's, primarily because they employ anyone off the street or people with paper credentials, if your on Vista I would wipe it and install Win7, it's slicker anyway and fixes quite a few of Vista's issues.

If you don't do as I suggested, boot it into safe mode and run Malmarebytes

Alternatively run hijack this and report the results here.

Malwarebytes has been run Exos its shown up all clean however that damn searchnu is still there. So its virus free but its still there. :( I can see a window open over there just wide enough for this laptop to fit through. :bangshead:

is it a search bar ? if so uninstall the browser delete all folders you may need to make all folders visible to see the user appdata/local folder delete anything that is called searchnu and any browser files then reinstall the browser ; you can save you bookmarks first and then import them to your clean install browser

edogg

Malwarebytes has been run Exos its shown up all clean however that damn searchnu is still there. So its virus free but its still there. :( I can see a window open over there just wide enough for this laptop to fit through. :bangshead:

It won't still be there, what will be there is the re-director.

Which browser are you using?

It won't still be there, what will be there is the re-director.

Which browser are you using?

Its Google chrome mate but when i click on that, the searchnu page comes up then when i click the Google button again the Google page comes on. I have set my homepage to Chrome but searchnu takes over. Please note nothing on this computer is affected really its working fine once I am off searchnu and its virus free :(

Its Google chrome mate but when i click on that, the searchnu page comes up then when i click the Google button again the Google page comes on. I have set my homepage to Chrome but searchnu takes over. Please note nothing on this computer is affected really its working fine once I am off searchnu and its virus free :(

Did you try removing chrome altogether and re-installing?

In Chrome, check in Wrench > Settings > On Startup > next to the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages, click on Set pages > remove any unwanted URLs by hovering over the URL until you see an "X" appear to the right side of the URL.

If all searches that you perform in the omnibox are returning with results from a different search engine instead of your preferred search engine, check in Wrench > Settings > Search > Manage search engines > check the list of Default search engines, Other search engines, and Search engines added by extensions, and remove suspicious entries that you are not familiar with. Depending on your extensions, you may not see the last section for Search engines added by extensions.

To remove an unfamiliar search engine, make sure you select your preferred search engine first, and then remove the unfamiliar option.

If an unfamiliar page opens up when you click on the Home button, check in Wrench > Settings > Appearance > select the Show Home button checkbox > check the URL below it.
Also check that there are no extensions installed that may be causing these changes. Go to Wrench > Settings > Extensions > if you see any unfamiliar extension that you do not remember installing, try disabling/removing the extension to see it was causing these changes. Some users have mentioned "FLV", "ilivid toolbar". To disable, uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the extension. To remove, hover over the extension until you see a trash can icon appear, and click on the icon.

Last edited:
Did you try removing chrome altogether and re-installing?

In Chrome, check in Wrench > Settings > On Startup > next to the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages, click on Set pages > remove any unwanted URLs by hovering over the URL until you see an "X" appear to the right side of the URL.

If all searches that you perform in the omnibox are returning with results from a different search engine instead of your preferred search engine, check in Wrench > Settings > Search > Manage search engines > check the list of Default search engines, Other search engines, and Search engines added by extensions, and remove suspicious entries that you are not familiar with. Depending on your extensions, you may not see the last section for Search engines added by extensions.

To remove an unfamiliar search engine, make sure you select your preferred search engine first, and then remove the unfamiliar option.

If an unfamiliar page opens up when you click on the Home button, check in Wrench > Settings > Appearance > select the Show Home button checkbox > check the URL below it.
Also check that there are no extensions installed that may be causing these changes. Go to Wrench > Settings > Extensions > if you see any unfamiliar extension that you do not remember installing, try disabling/removing the extension to see it was causing these changes. Some users have mentioned "FLV", "ilivid toolbar". To disable, uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the extension. To remove, hover over the extension until you see a trash can icon appear, and click on the icon.

Exos I think I have sussed it I went in to google settings and the slimy barsterward searchnu was set to re - direct to them I deleted it set it as Google and hey presto. Why couldn't PC World do that guys?. :( Thank you to you all.

Exos I think I have sussed it I went in to google settings and the slimy barsterward searchnu was set to re - direct to them I deleted it set it as Google and hey presto. Why couldn't PC World do that guys?. :( Thank you to you all.

I refer the honorable gentleman to the previously alluded statement regarding the capability of said employees.

PC World are a bunch of useless moronic d**khead's

I would play it safe though mate, and call me anal (say's the person with three spyware scanners on his machine) download SuperAntiSpyware and run that also, or do the online ESET scan, best to be sure that these things are completely removed.

Last edited:
I refer the honorable gentleman to the previously alluded statement regarding the capability of said employees.

I would play it safe though mate, and call me anal (say's the person with three spyware scanners on his machine) download SuperAntiSpyware and run that also, or do the online ESET scan, best to be sure that these things are completely removed.

Message understood Exos I will run a full virus and spyware scan just to be sure. Thank you very much for your advice mate and rep is added. :)

i refer you back to my post way back at the start lol
save any shit u want to keep then format the fecker and do a reinstall save you all this fecking about lol

Back