Treadmill - How to loose beer belly?

I have no idea about the calorie side of things but I would change the workout to a something a bit harder. I'd do the 5 mins jog at 4mph and then straight onto full speed for as long as you can go. When you're knackered jog lightly at 4mph for a minute before you burst at full speed again. If you can do this for 20 mins then you're in pretty good shape already.

M8 that is pretty much what I do - ill give you a break down.

First 3mins at 4kmph
4th min to 5th min - 5kmph
5th min to 8th min - 8kmph
8th min to 11th min - 10-11kmph (fastest I can go at present)
11th min to 14th min - 8kmph
14th min to 17th min - 10-11kmph
17th min to 20th min - 8kmph
20th min to 23th min -11-12kmph
23th min to 26th min - 8kmph
26th min to 30thmin - 4kmph -3kmph

Just tried 16kmph in my final fast set but only managed 30seconds until I had to go back to 12kmph lol.
This session for 30mins - I burnt 290 calories, so im on track at burning 500 calories per day.

...although I feel fitter and can run on higher speed with a higher gradiant, it still seems I havnt lost any of the belly

Hi mate - nice to see an update on your progress and glad to see you're still motivated. Keep it up.

But don't confuse "getting fit" with "losing the belly"... you'll lose your belly in your kitchen and you'll get your fitness on the treadmill!

So for the sort of results you want, you gotta hit it on BOTH fronts... good diet AND good training.

What do you advise I eat mate on a daily basis?

To lose fat off your belly you need to have less fat in your diet. Its a lot easier to eat less calories than to try and burn it off later.
Cut out biscuits, crisps, chocolate. Reduce your alcohol.

Breakfast: 2 Weetabix plus semi skimmed, plus glass of miilk or orange juice.
lunch: ham or turkey sandwich, no mayo, fruit
tea: pasta, rice, baked spuds with something.
Plenty water all day.
No snacks after tea.
I've done this since new year and introduced cycling to work (4miles) 2 or 3 times a week and lost 18lbs. Waist size gone from 102 to 94cm
You will feel hungry at first but when your stomach shrinks a bit you get used to it and feel full on less food.

don't forget when loosing weight its not all from the belly, excess weight is distributed throughout the body, although the waist line is a means of measuring weight loss it must be recognized that fat is also burned on other parts of the body etc legs, arms, face etc....

keep posting and drawing from the strength of the members, there are no quick fixes in losing weight, lots of will power and patience and your rewards will be your results....

good luck and keep us posted...

P.S MODS a health and fitness topic would be a great addition to DW, helping people get fit, advice on exercise equipment and techniques etc together with weight loss progs is a sure winner...

Regards Taff

After reading this thread I have started exercising and eating healthier foods as well.

I wouldn't describe myself as un-fit as I play football twice per week with my mates at 5-a-sides but I would like to loose the beer belly, especially since I'm going abroad this summer.

I have this: http://sports.ciao.co.uk/Tony_Little_s_Gazelle_Freestyle__5319356

Had it for years but just used it on and off, going to go on it every night.

Was on it for 30 minutes today and lost 350 calories. It feels hard at the time but i feel great after a shower.

Good luck!

What do you advise I eat mate on a daily basis?

Suss out the amount of calories you require for each day (keeping in mind your goal is weight loss) and balance your meals accordingly to get 'em.

Note that word "balance" - try and keep the meals well-balanced... when food shopping try and stock up on the good stuff so you've always got good healthy food choices in the house.

So that's good protein sources, complex carb sources, loadsa veggies, good fats (olive oils, avocados, nuts etc), fruits, loadsa water...

And to be honest, you probably already know the rest of the advice you need... e.g. cut out the fried foods, over processed foods, foods covered in batter and sauces, mayo, butter, sugary fizzy drinks etc...

Good luck - keep on keeping on!

Just tried 16kmph in my final fast set but only managed 30seconds until I had to go back to 12kmph lol.
This session for 30mins - I burnt 290 calories, so im on track at burning 500 calories per day.

long time no update fella, hows the training going? losing the weight?

long time no update fella, hows the training going? losing the weight?

Sorry for the late update.
While I was trying to loose the beer belly I was in search of a new job and then found one, so that kind of put me off my routine, however there were some off days I used the treadmill however, I doubt did much.
Since the end of April however ive changed my shift pattern at work that allows me to work out 4 days in a week, where I have been burning around 500-600 calories a day.

My diet has also changed from mainly healthy foods. Im feeling fitter but I know I would have been in great condition by now if I had managed my time better.

Ill keep you guys updated in another few weeks with this new diet and cardio routine.

you said you recommended the machine you bought
i cant see link to it m8 what one is it

m8 a banana 20 mins before you atsrt to exerise some creitine .in a drink or capsaul form . and by the way a 30 min run only burns around 450 calories . do light weigths to if your serious about losing weigth as this tones the muscles . but a good wiegth session will burn upwards of 500 caliories at a time

m8 a banana 20 mins before you atsrt to exerise some creitine .in a drink or capsaul form . and by the way a 30 min run only burns around 450 calories . do light weigths to if your serious about losing weigth as this tones the muscles . but a good wiegth session will burn upwards of 500 caliories at a time

Hi m8,

well I havn't been using weights however I go on the treadmill twice a day in the 4 days split.
I always aim at 500calories as a minimum and 600calories as a max.
250-300 calories calories per session.

Roughly how much you looking to spend and what must the treadmill have?
If your not too fussed with brand names, you can get a top spec off ebay which is cheap for its spec.
Message me if you want the link.

Are treadmills any good for someone who can't jog or run?, by that i mean are they worth getting just to use in walking mode,for say...3 hours walking a day.
Or would more hours be needed to be of any benefit?

Hi guys,

Finally the treadmill is here and for somthing thats very cheap in comparson to the commercial trreadmills spec's, im well impressed.
Maximum speed of 22kmph, Incline upto 30%, Little Fan (doesn't really blow that much air), Speakers for mp3 input (Loud), Heart rate monitor on handles and folds away nicely.

So I need to get rid of the beer belly and within 3-4 weeks.
Yesterday evening I ran for 15mins at the speed of 8-9kmph and that was enough to get me allot of sweat.

What split would you guys suggest?
Is morning the best way to cardio train (before breakfast or after breakfast)?
How long each time, with what setting etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx Guys in advance!
If you want to get rid of the beer belly,start doing sit ups. Not on the machines,there only for the arobic womans keep fit programmes. start the sit ups with ten and shadow skip for a minute.Shadow skip is without the rope???Do four stes of ten to twenty sit ups and continue the skipping for a two week period,and add pressups and the belly will disappear.If you stop the belly will come back?? Tread mill will become boring and you will find every excuse in the book to avoid using it. get out in the air and start walking,pace your self by going a predetermined distance. once you go you will have to walk back
Best of luck. P.S. it's only when you experience pain that you will know the muscles in the belly are responding,the last ten sits ups or last twenty are the ones that will give your body the benefit it needs.

if you have an old kagool or sweat jacket m8 use this and black bag under the teeshirt . its mostly water you will lose but it hwlp gives you the boost you need to keep going when you see the difference it makes . .

dont listen to that, some body builders and boxers will use this method to lose weight or keep there muscles defined....but its dangerous way of doing things...sweating is your bodys way of keeping cool, this method, you sweat, it cant escape so the sweat is actually increasing your body temp while your body creates more sweat to compensate...then you need to replace those fluids anyway so kinda defeats the purpose...so whenever you excerise always wear loose clothin and drink plenty of water...

jus think, why are all modern gyms freezin cold, even the machines have air con

i work in a sport center, so will ask for a program tommorow thats jus treadmill based (tho i think they might say thats bad way of doing things)...needing a similar program myself ;) but i would honestly include trip to swimming pool and even jus going for a walk...and of course a good diet, no point going all out on treadmill you will soon get bored

Last edited:
If you want to get rid of the beer belly,start doing sit ups. Not on the machines,there only for the arobic womans keep fit programmes. start the sit ups with ten and shadow skip for a minute.Shadow skip is without the rope???Do four stes of ten to twenty sit ups and continue the skipping for a two week period,and add pressups and the belly will disappear.If you stop the belly will come back?? Tread mill will become boring and you will find every excuse in the book to avoid using it. get out in the air and start walking,pace your self by going a predetermined distance. once you go you will have to walk back
Best of luck. P.S. it's only when you experience pain that you will know the muscles in the belly are responding,the last ten sits ups or last twenty are the ones that will give your body the benefit it needs.

After burning 300 calories on the treadmill in my 1st session, I always do 50situps - 2 sets of 15 and 1 set of 20.
My diet is changing and in total, just on the tradmill im burning 600 calories and now should be 800 calories.
For the 1st 20mins im doing gradiant fast walking, with gradiant at the highest level and then the last 20mins running at 10kmph-11kmph.

I am building a gym type shed, so hopefully when that is complete ill have my free weights, treadmill, boxing bag and bench.

Back