Trash television, again.

danforth

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not been here for a while, must be getting soft in my old age. Anyway, I've finally hit safety valve pressure on this one!

It's TV shows injecting a competitive element into an otherwise mundane (or niche) subject, doubling the program length.

I don't mean the Sochi Curling Championship, interspersed with occasional shots of high speed meat trays behaving under gravity.
Yes, my multiple orgasms were limited, but it was only a fortnight, and punctuated by wellie clad busybodies in the Somerset Lakes.
Nor do I mean the Discovery channels where you check every decade, or so, for program change.:)

I mean things like DiY, decorating, cooking, antiques, singing, dancing, music, etc, sometimes with bizarre crossovers.
Nothing wrong with any of these, if you have that particular interest, but there's little, or no content, just competitive "hype",
to "appeal to a broader" audience, or give a relative non entity something to present. Shove a few adverts in, reprise for goldfish, and there's nothing left!:Angryfire

I'm generally exasperated, but here's an example:-

Barry Bucknall (doesn't matter if you can't remember) used to present a DiY show. It was 30mins of compacted information, admittedly
presented in robotic fashion. You watched if interested in the subject, he wasn't a "star". If no interest, no watch, simple as that.

The modern equivalent, presented by Nick Knowles (seems pleasant enough, no problem), is twice as long, but with fractional information.
It's "race against time" stuff, packed with miraculously fast drying plaster and paint, against a background of "professionals" clowning around.:Angryfire

Then, the two team "makeover" shows where "designers" screw up unfortunate's houses, in a competition against some alleged clock.
Who will win ? Will they make it on time ? More to the point, who the f*ck cares ?:Angryfire

Or the dumb blonde ( who probably isn't either) that persuades chain stores to donate anything from curtain rings to fitted kitchens,
on some charity pretext or other. Try that without a camera crew, and tell me that's not pure fantasy!:Angryfire

Not to mention (alright I will) the bizarre spillover across niches. The Hairy Bikers challenge the Brighouse and Rastrick Band to a charity
sewing contest in Africa?......... Mustn't miss that! ........... Why do we put up with this American inspired sh*t ! :Angryfire

Ahh, that's better, my blood pressure monitor says I can go now!:Biggrin2:

Nick would smug this post off. Sorry I meant shrug, I think
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393630788.781398.jpg

Last edited:
Its a bit like wheeler dealers lol. Who the feck is going to strip a morgan in their back garden and fit a new chassis? But yes we watch it just in case lol. ;)

60 minute makeover ffs it would take me that long to put my overalls on and brew up. What a bunch of wa***rs not one of them know what they are doing and the room looks shite when its finished. Peter Andre is a dick on that programme. Then there is the best bit the owners come in with a blindfold on. Have a look at your room now you can open your eyes they say?. Ffs big mistake they should have kept their eyes shut. I wonder how much they get paid to say its lovely? and more to the point do they get to keep the skip outside for the week just so they can put their room back how it was. :(

A friend of my wife was on this program all they did was dump her stuff in the back garden so she could bring it back in when they had finished.

Could be worse I suppose. I could be giving Rupert £110 a month for this shite..............................................

Storage wars,battles and fecking hunters, building some shite car from rust, i'm sure they only make 1 episode because i only ever manage to catch the same one every time .
Very rare i watch actual scheduled tv now, rather watch tv through xbmc Istream, watch what i want when i want, last few months we've watched all seasons of ncis, walking dead and now working our way tthrough the series of supernatural,

Its a bit like wheeler dealers lol. Who the feck is going to strip a morgan in their back garden and fit a new chassis?

But yes we watch it just in case lol. ;)

I've got to admit to the occasional peek as well. There is the stereotyped banter, but at least some useful general info.
That said, with the garage equipment they have available, most of us could do it, but would you want to?

A friend of my wife was on this program all they did was dump her stuff in the back garden so she could bring it back in when they had finished.

I get half of that, my wife dumps my stuff in the back garden, and I have to bring it back!:Biggrin2:

Feel better, now I've struck a common nerve. Nothing worse than starting a thread in this section, and getting no response.

After a couple of days, I get that "Ooh sh*t, it's just me" feeling!:)

It's nothing new, it's been going on for years.

It's the main reason we "unplugged" several years ago. No monthly charge, no TV tax, no arial, no dish, just download the programs we want to watch and watch them at the time we want to watch them (feck the legalities of it). Nothing more nothing less.

For anything that peaks an interest there's always various "player" sites (iplayer, itv player, 4od etc...) Although it wont be long before they include iplayer in the Tv tax.

Its not just the trash they put on but the bleedin adverts especially on some channels they seem to be every few minutes and last a ages, but saying that some adverts are better then the show.
i like shows like "a car is born"range of shows but you have to watch the same one for weeks or scour the tv guide for the next episode because they show them at will i think.
and discovery/history channel, ffs we know the Nazi's were a nasty lot

bbc1 2:45 on a Saturday Afternoon............Bargain Hunt...........enough said

and discovery/history channel, ffs we know the Nazi's were a nasty lot

Back when I had cable I used to refer to the History channel as the Hitler channel.

What about the WW2 in Colour series?.... That was a revelation..... I was born in 1945, I thought the world was black and white before then!:Biggrin2:

Don't get me wrong, I love anything ww2 but there were other's involved in it apart from them lol.and imho The Japanese and Russians were just has evil.

Don't get me wrong, I love anything ww2 but there were other's involved in it apart from them lol.and imho The Japanese and Russians were just has evil.

Don't forget the "winners" write the history, shades of blame all round no doubt. Easy solution really, put the politicians at the front. After all they are leaders!:)

But, New Yankee Workshop? I have some spare mahogany so let's make a coffee table. Just run it through your £10,000 planer/finisher......

...erm, some nice coffee tables about for less than £10,000 lol

But, New Yankee Workshop? I have some spare mahogany so let's make a coffee table. Just run it through your £10,000 planer/finisher......

...erm, some nice coffee tables about for less than £10,000 lol

Now, the Yankee Workshop was so much better, but I don't suppose you remember that.

A bit of tree, an adze, and the odd nail......... Right up my street! :Biggrin2:

You could make those antiques in Bargain Hunt.

my boy is addicted to 'auction hunters'

all TV is shit, thats why i never watch it, anything im interested in, ill download, with adverts removed, nad get my 160 minutes a months worth that way, and also save on the license fee

but that auction hunters, is the same as bear grills etc, they state 'they introduce factors that may be realistic' in the same way, as they may nenver happen, if they made a show where every week the same person won the lottery and it showed how much fun they had, nobody would watch it, but they can show the same people making tens of thousands of dollars a time buying old storage units, every time?

tv is shit, simple as

Bear Grills? You never said what? Sheep? Pork chops?

Anyway, what's television? Is that similar to the 'magic lamp'?

:)

Back