Tm5402hd m3

Okay, factory reset and flashed it with 114p (the only patch), added keys and channel list, here are my findings based on reception at 27.5W:
First impressions were good, no lip sync issues (unlike the M2), picture quality was very good, about the same as the M2 but definitely better than the F3/5.
The machine is actually slightly smaller than the M2, same width but not as deep. Has the advantage of a USB on the front as well as the rear.
GUI is different from the M2 and is the same as the F3/5, which is okay, I probably prefer it.
It was all going very well until I tested the recording facility with my 320Gb Toshiba ALU-E USB powered drive, normally attached to my M2, very very poor! Time-shifting seemed to work okay, however, when I tried recording BBC1 HD whilst watching ITV HD the problems started, the live picture (ITV HD) kept glitching constantly, almost as though the speed was changing all the time, totally unwatchable. I then tried the recording of BBC1 HD which kept freezing and would not FF or RW, simply freezing all the time again.
This is a huge bug that needs to be sorted out.

So for me personally, the M3 needs the recording bug sorted out before I would consider keeping it because I use time-shift and recording all the time.

I haven't tried it yet with c/s, but have heard it is very poor as well, will report on that soon.

I would be keen to hear other peoples impressions of this machine in comparison.

Just remember as with any TM machine when you flash a Patched image it is always wise to do a Factory Reset on your current image then flash the Patched image and then do another Factory Reset which locks the image in place.

Sometimes it is also prudent to do a fresh satellite scan instead of re-loading an already saved channel list if said channel list has any errors then this could be the cause

Yes a factory reset was done before and after flashing with the patch.

I don't see how a channel list would make any difference to the recording though?

The channels are perfect live, it is just an issue when recording.

Yes a factory reset was done before and after flashing with the patch.

I don't see how a channel list would make any difference to the recording though?

The channels are perfect live, it is just an issue when recording.

Actually Digi is correct, I have had issues using old channel lists on newer patches. Had me confused the first couple of times, but to be fair, the problems were also noticeable on live TV.

But I see what you mean about the recording- what a shambles!

picture quality was very good, about the same as the M2 but definitely better than the F3/5.

i think you should do some more checking m8 as people are reporting a poor PQ and nowhere near on a par with the M1/M2,regards mdt

i think you should do some more checking m8 as people are reporting a poor PQ and nowhere near on a par with the M1/M2,regards mdt

This seems to be quite subjective, I have an F3/5 which on my 55" Samsung LED is nowhere near as good PQ as my M2, very noticeable so in fact, especially on HD (even my wife noticed it), however, I know people who think that the F3/5 has a better PQ than the M2! The M3 that I have is definitely on par with my M2 and much better than my F3/5.

I was surprised, as it seems to all intents and purposes, that the M3 is basically an F3/5 in a M2 case, rebadged as M3, so you would expect the PQ to be the same as the F3/5.

This is only my opinion of course and I welcome other users input.

do you notice the GUI flaw on 1080i? as it seems only me and @digi247 seem to agree that it exists,regards mdt

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the flaw? I haven't noticed anything.

look at the GUI lettering in 720p then in 1080i.. its smooth in 720p and jagged in 1080i. there are also ghosting effects on fast moving images on 1080i also,regards mdt

look at the GUI lettering in 720p then in 1080i.. its smooth in 720p and jagged in 1080i. there are also ghosting effects on fast moving images on 1080i also,regards mdt

Okay yes, I just checked it and you are quite right, the lettering is clearer in 720p than it is in 1080i, I checked my F3/5 and it is the same, another pointer to this being basically an F3/5 in an M2 case.

I haven't noticed the ghosting yet, will have to wait for something fast-moving to come on!

I only had the M3 for a short period yesterday but comparing it to an M1 and the Dr HD F15 which is the same as the 5402HD MK1 the M3 had inferior picture quality compared to the other 2.

With the Gui Bug this has led me to also believe as i said from the start this is an F3/5 inside an M2 smaller case

I only had the M3 for a short period yesterday but comparing it to an M1 and the Dr HD F15 which is the same as the 5402HD MK1 the M3 had inferior picture quality compared to the other 2.

With the Gui Bug this has led me to also believe as i said from the start this is an F3/5 inside an M2 smaller case

I would tend to agree with you, checked my M2 and it doesn't suffer from the GUI bug.

I would tend to agree with you, checked my M2 and it doesn't suffer from the GUI bug.

get over to the community and tell them on there as the usual fanboys cant see what we are on about...... seems its another 2 steps forward one step back again by the boys at TM. @dantis can you post some screen shots of the M3/M2 showing the GUI,signal readings ect ect when you have some time,regards mdt

Hi ...I have 5402 M1 but jump on this because I am wondering what is GUI ?

I have a HD TV not full HD, any idea what is the best setting for the m1...720i/p or 1080i/p ?

to be honest I am quite happy with PQ on it, so question above is just a matter of curiosity? will full HD make a huge difference?

Thanks

I have a HD TV not full HD, any idea what is the best setting for the m1...720i/p or 1080i/p ?

to be honest I am quite happy with PQ on it, so question above is just a matter of curiosity? will full HD make a huge difference?

Thanks

Graphic User Interface (GUI) is the menu etc.

Full HD, in my opinion, is simply stunning and far superior to SD.

With regards to which setting, I would suggest you scroll through the various options and see which one gives you the best picture, it will probably be 720i or 1080i.

get over to the community and tell them on there as the usual fanboys cant see what we are on about...... seems its another 2 steps forward one step back again by the boys at TM. @dantis can you post some screen shots of the M3/M2 showing the GUI,signal readings ect ect when you have some time,regards mdt

When you say screen shots you mean photographs? If so, no problem.

Thanks

GUI? Google is your friend, but Graphical User Interface might save you a few seconds.

Does full HD make a difference? Depends a lot on your TV. 32" or less, you will unlikely see much difference.

Fanboys ffs, lol.

Fanboys ffs, lol.

You know what he means manic at least on here its Unbiased so you can literally tear a receiver/image etc.. apart without fear of posts being deleted. Thats why i like it here :)

Back