Tm twin

mdt

Inactive User
Reaction score
i thought id ask then.... whats the verdict? or is the jury still out?? regards mdt

Mine seems fine mate, I've got it in the lounge and kicked the dm800 out for the moment. I had some slight issues with the images that was installed from factory, but a re install and a swap file created made the box really stable. I have since loaded the dw image and then open pli 2.1 and it works fine.

i guess the jury is still out then or nobody can be arsed replying, regards mdt

I will say my verdict
I sold mine
has been withdrawn for sale twice (sure its twice)
any beta software released after 29/3 has never been officially released (must be no better ?)

for a broadcom receiver I really don't see why this is not on par with other receivers

I will partially agree with Rat, although the hardware of the box is on par with the duo etc. The software isnt quite there for advanced users but for those who want twin tuner with basic epg and recording etc then its fine. Depends on what type of user you are.

then this is the exact same as the TM800 :( hardware is good, software is totally cr@p

Im sorry to sound so negative but too much pussy footing around this TM Linux, I cant comment on there 500/600 efforts as I havent played with these boxes but I have played with 800 and Twin

for traders and joe bloggs who just want TV once set up these boxes will function, for some like us who want to play with plugins and expert features then TM Linux is not for us

look at the TM800 the HDD problem still exists unless you have a USB adaptor, I was assured at the time this was a temp fix lol

I see the Twin at this moment in time (although better than 800) heading the very same way

just my opinion

Image 24-04-2012 in download centre

Download center

After installation finished off/on from back for one minutes
--------------------------------
Fixed in this image
1-scrowling vfd
2-recording 2 channel display 3-ii in vfd
4-pause in media player
5-nans message in cccam 2.13
6-crash log now to [email protected]
7-added off/on scrawling vfd
8- Record and play display stop start
9- web interface to updated to openwebif

Last edited by a moderator:
For the benefit of those who want to show the full name of the channel on the front display, you can enable the scrolling. /menu/system/customise It is the last option.

for traders and joe bloggs who just want TV once set up these boxes will function

I even disagree with that!

Even though I'm an enthusiast/hobbyist/tech-freak, I wanted this box so that we could have an easy-to-use twin tuner setup that even the wife and kid could use without thinking about it (after all, that's what you'd get from a Sky+ box, right?). I have to say that no one in the house trusts this device for doing ANY recordings (can't begin to say how many have failed!). After speaking to my dealer about things (who keeps telling me to stop playing with "unofficial" images), and going down there with the box to demonstrate the problems, I've been getting NO joy. I'm also majorly out of pocket, compared to if I went for something like a Sky+ box. And I'm still not there at a setup that we can remotely trust.

I SO want this box to be good, not least because a British company is behind it, but I'm afraid I couldn't honestly recommend it to anyone in its current state. :(

:grayno:
Image 24-04-2012 in download centre

Download center

After installation finished off/on from back for one minutes
--------------------------------
Fixed in this image
1-scrowling vfd
2-recording 2 channel display 3-ii in vfd
4-pause in media player
5-nans message in cccam 2.13
6-crash log now to [email protected]
7-added off/on scrawling vfd
8- Record and play display stop start
9- web interface to updated to openwebif

Business as usual at TM I'm afraid folks.... including Richards poor long term suffering of schizophrenia and compulsion of forum aliases. Poor chap

I even disagree with that!

Even though I'm an enthusiast/hobbyist/tech-freak, I wanted this box so that we could have an easy-to-use twin tuner setup that even the wife and kid could use without thinking about it (after all, that's what you'd get from a Sky+ box, right?). I have to say that no one in the house trusts this device for doing ANY recordings (can't begin to say how many have failed!). After speaking to my dealer about things (who keeps telling me to stop playing with "unofficial" images), and going down there with the box to demonstrate the problems, I've been getting NO joy. I'm also majorly out of pocket, compared to if I went for something like a Sky+ box. And I'm still not there at a setup that we can remotely trust.

I SO want this box to be good, not least because a British company is behind it, but I'm afraid I couldn't honestly recommend it to anyone in its current state. :(

I do not think you will ever find a box whether it be a tm or vu+ box or any other that will replace to sky box. Sky have spent countless amounts of money perfecting the sky box and we all love speciacally the epg. You cannot compare the two and should not try to, I have my sky hd box for watching tv the tm is for playing with, the two are different animals and the tm can do so much more than a sky box. Oh i also have a tm800 and a dm800 also ;)

I do not think you will ever find a box whether it be a tm or vu+ box or any other that will replace to sky box. Sky have spent countless amounts of money perfecting the sky box and we all love speciacally the epg. You cannot compare the two and should not try to

No, I'm sorry, I disagree. Sure, Sky have HUGE resources to be *able* to develop something to a higher level, but it doesn't mean that they will. Let's face it, they have a monopoly in their given field, so as long as the service/equipment are just about fit for purpose then, by not having ANY competition in the paid-for satellite services, they're not compelled to improve it beyond it doing the bare minimum. Now, with regards to the general UI, etc, I had a friend (and fellow Media Center PC power user) that succumbed to Sky so he too could get F1 - the 1 thing he hates about Sky is the cr*p UI, even compared to Media Center's (which isn't perfect!). There's PLENTY that can be improved on a satellite box over the Sky items (for *me*, the most important is being able to archive off recorded content onto a server), and this is the space that other satellite manufacturers should be aiming to improve on.

, I have my sky hd box for watching tv the tm is for playing with,

"Playing with"? How is that different to viewing/recording satellite content?? Seriously, if you want to "play with", there are plenty more gadgets that are a LOT more powerful than any Linux sat box I've heard of!

the two are different animals and the tm can do so much more than a sky box. Oh i also have a tm800 and a dm800 also ;)

Now *this* I agree with! Here is my basic list of features that drew me toward a Linux-based:
1) Network access, and be able to move content around (eg copy to a central server)
2) Be able to access other satellites, other than Astra 28.2E, and even move the dish automatically
3) Play other networked Media files
4) Make the tuners accessible over the network to other devices - I'm particularly interested in using such a box as a network tuner for MythTV or similar

The Twin potentially can do all of these, but the problem is it's still unreliable. I think it'll get there eventually, if TM are prepared to listen to users like us, and actually improve their images (which they seem to be). Or even if we find good alternative images that do the job (although it'd be a LOT easier for the average, non-enthusiast user if TM's own image did the job - and no doubt would start paying off for TM in the long run!). And when it DOES get there, it'll be better than a Sky box eventually.

But since the original poster asked about the verdict on the current state... that's why I'm trying to give a fair answer.

I much prefer the Duo over my Sky box, do I prefer my Twin over a Sky box? Not really, maybe one day if it goes open source is gets backing from other teams.

Back