Thoughtful neighbour

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago a mate asked if I could sort out his daughters iPhone 11. She had dropped it and broken one of the rear camera lenses and the camera picture was blurry.
I ordered new lenses, rear cover adhesive and a used genuine camera module. The first 2 items arrived but the camera module didn't. However it did show that Royal Mail had delivered it somewhere and it was signed for with a squiggle that was barely legible.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back and I told my mate to take the phone elsewhere as I was definitely finished. (Lost count how many times I've said that) 😂

I was weeding my front garden this afternoon when a near neighbour walked past. He asked my name and then told me he had a parcel for me. I'm awaiting some components to arrive and thought it was them. No, it was the rear camera module. The tool had sat on my parcel for just shy of 2 months. I can't believe I actually thanked him.

Why would he keep it for two months ffs and I can’t believe you thanked him either tbh. 😆
Have you told your mate the tail🤔

Why would he keep it for two months ffs and I can’t believe you thanked him either tbh. 😆
Have you told your mate the tail🤔
Yes mate. He was gobsmacked too.
The "neighbour" lives a few doors up and we don't really know each other. He's quite young and I don't think they are wired up the same way as the rest of us. It also goes to show that Royal Mail signed for service ain't worth shit. I told the idiot that his signature didn't give me anything to go by but he said he never signed for it and it had just been posted through his door.

I was annoyed when it was lost as it's a £39-99 part. It is now surplus to requirement so I will try and recoup some of my money by putting it up for sale on Gumtree and Marketplace.

Since Covid the postmen now sign for you
I think that Royal Mail should now change the criteria for sighed for Mail. I think that they should get the occupant to show form of identity before they had over the package. Something like a letter with a matching surname.

I think that Royal Mail should now change the criteria for sighed for Mail. I think that they should get the occupant to show form of identity before they had over the package. Something like a letter with a matching surname.
Would slow everything up, who else asks for proof out of interest? Only ever used to get asked on Amazon alcohol related orders.

Last edited:
The 'signed for' service gives an implied guarantee that an item is delivered to the correct person.

You, or possibly the sender, have grounds for compensation if that doesn't happen. Covid or not.

Would slow everything up, who else asks for proof out of interest? Only ever used to get asked on Amazon alcohol related orders.
They shouldn’t be offering a service that they can’t fulfil correctly. It’s meant to be signed for somebody who lives at that address or if the recipient has left a note on their door stating to leave with a designated neighbour. The postman shouldn’t be signing for it himself and then just posting it through anyone’s door. The postman should leave a calling card and the package should go back to the local depot and be redelivered or collected by the recipient imo.

Since Covid the postmen now sign for you
Which wouldn't be a problem if they delivered to the correct door. I bought the part via eBay. The seller had fulfilled his obligation and had a squiggle as proof of receipt.
My postie is forever being rotated so never know who's at fault but my packages often get misdelivered. Usual one is correct number, 35, but the wrong street.

s-l1600.png

They shouldn’t be offering a service that they can’t fulfil correctly. It’s meant to be signed for somebody who lives at that address or if the recipient has left a note on their door stating to leave with a designated neighbour. The postman shouldn’t be signing for it himself and then just posting it through anyone’s door. The postman should leave a calling card and the package should go back to the local depot and be redelivered or collected by the recipient imo.
I agree with the calling card bit, Covid changed delivery for many businesses for a long time. It was either they signed or nothing.

I've had proof of delivery in the form of a photo of the item being pushed through next door's letterbox, literally three feet from mine.. You'd think that the Royal Mail staff would be more careful, rather than leaving photographic evidence of the item being misdelivered.

Royal Mail are pretty good round here
We're on the top of a hill and the houses have front gardens and driveways so we get new posties all the time but they all use the doorbell, unlike the couriers, which is a bit of a bugbear for me.
When did that happen? Am I missing out on some new tech that replaced the doorbell?
Is it really too much to ask that they let me know they're outside?
I swear one of them, she just tickles the door, drops the parcel, and she's off to tickle someone else's door.
Someone sent me an Easter egg last year and not knowing she'd left it out there in the sun all day, when I opened the door at 7pm to water the plants I found a big blob of fancy chocolate on the mat ffs

Back