thinking of getting a htpc

There is less hardware overhead with ubuntu so if you are running it on a Atom CPU then it may make a difference.

thats correct, it makes the whole difference, i have been told there is a new version to run under windows which has less lag / overhead but i much prefer to stay away from windows with my media center, plus its good practice for using linux which is a much faster operating system than windows can ever be, but not user friendly (although ubuntu is superb and has come along way making it easier)

Plus dont quote me, i know this was the case running it under windows meant codec configuring for HD playback, i think this has been sorted in newer version, but every version ive used under windows has had a bit of delay when navigating menus.

but yes with the atom processor you want it as streamline as possible.

xbmc baby, the way to go :)

Last edited:
what can you pick up witth a sat card in the uk

You can pick up anything any sat box can. Depends on your dish, my card can drive a motorised dish with the right software. Big question is what cam's you can get on there. Never explored it much myself but you can do C/S for example.

By default, with a sky dish you can get freesat.

yeah its only pointing at sky so would only be free sat if you turned the sky dish would it be big enough to pick up other free channels

Don't know mate, never looked into sat options that much but know you mention it I might do, lol.

You will probably be better off posting in the sat forum as to what options you have.

well, looks georgeous , however few things put me off.

size, its a bit of a monster

16.7cm high
42.8cm wide
44.0cm deep

thats pretty big.

other thing is the VFD , this all depends what OS your putting in there, if its xbmc , i do know people have got the VFD`s (or little lcd displays ) going but not without a lot of editing configs etc etc.

In my opinion the vfd`s are a waste of time, but its my opinion.

the antec case i had was the same, superb looking fantastic build quality but massive and yours is even bigger!!

MicroFusion350_Q.jpg

but i think no matter what, if thats the case you want, then it will be fine and future proof on upgrades at aleast (i.e. you should fit nearly any mainboard in there).

like i said before, i went for the chenbro home server case, small, compact , limited to mini-itx mainboards, but loads of functionality and room for expansion (hdd wise).

hope this helps.

well they aint much difference between the antec fusion case size and this one

YOURS
16.7cm high
42.8cm wide
44.0cm deep

ANTEC
12cm high
39cm wide
41cm deep

no, i know its not much difference , but what i`m saying is i thought the antenc case was hugh and your is even bigger. end of the day, its up to you its a nice looking case either way.

how do you no what psu to get there is that many it says this one is Standard ATX PS2 (optional)

Your link is not working but I agree that if you can get modular cabling system that would be better.

also depends on what mainboard your getting, if its atom based then you want as low power consumption as possible, but like i say all depends on mainboard, let us know which your going for then we can advise more ;)

Back