thinking of getting a htpc

Two quick things, there is no HDMI and I am going to guess no hardware HD acceleration. Plus add on cost of CPU, memory, HDD, optical drive, kbd, mouse.

If you don't want to use a TV card then something like the Acer Revo coupled with something like XBMC would be ideal. Fantasic little unit, even come with a mounting kit to attachment to the back of the TV so nothing to be seen from the front.

YouTube - Acer Aspire Revo (NCIX Tech Tips #46)

Main problem is that DVD would have to be external, around £35 for a external bus powered DVD writer if you need one. And of course you could still use USB freeview adapator.

well ive heard them revos are slow i want a proper pc but small scale to fit next to my tv to get rid of my bulky desktop ive just been looking at the acers in comet there really small but they dont have wifi or out on them which is a shame also i want it fast really cause i like to use newsgroups and download a lot of 1080p video files so need it to play them flawless and run through my hd surround sound

well basic internet suitable to fit under me tv to save space maybe a tv tuner in it i use newsgroups a lot for music and hd videos so fast enough for 1080p videos with decent sound out put not bothered about bluray player just a dual layer dvd recorder wifi etc

basically something fast not to dear but nice looking i dont like the look of half those custom built cases

well basic internet suitable to fit under me tv to save space maybe a tv tuner in it i use newsgroups a lot for music and hd videos so fast enough for 1080p videos with decent sound out put not bothered about bluray player just a dual layer dvd recorder wifi etc

basically something fast not to dear but nice looking i dont like the look of half those custom built cases
With a HTPC the case is often a deciding factor. Mine only takes low profile cards, my sister's takes full height cards but only has space for a mATX motherboard. The case that my parents use has neither limitation but has a huge footprint...

As such, have a look at the cases on ebuyer, overclockers, scan, dabs, ccl and aria.

Post back with the cases that you like and your budget and I'm sure I or someone else can spec you something out...

Revo can handle all that no problems, it has the ion chipset so HD is no problem and there is a dual core with hyperthreading so aside from high end gaming or video editing it will handle pretty much anything you through at it.

Only thing is tuner would have to be USB

Revo can handle all that no problems, it has the ion chipset so HD is no problem and there is a dual core with hyperthreading so aside from high end gaming or video editing it will handle pretty much anything you through at it...
Agreed, but the Revo does have it's limitations...
...Only thing is tuner would have to be USB
As would the wifi dongle, and the optical drive you've previously mentioned.

If the surround sound system linzi uses doesn't have an HDMI input, the only other sound output on the Revo is stereo out. Whilst there are USB sound cards available, this in addition to the USB TV tuner, wifi dongle and optical drive means that is all the USB ports used.

(I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you, just that when it comes to HTPCs it's 'horses for courses'.)

there are loads of different models of the revo. Vary in CPU, memory, disk, network, what type of keyboard, O/S and some other stuff. The 3610 is the latest model and should include onboard wireless and optical out but I think it drops some older stuff. Just make sure you look closely before you buy.

it was only really the early models that didnt have optical out and most now come with wifi (not that i would use it, as mine is under the TV next to modem : sorry i dont have a revo anymore, but i have an ion based diy custom built system which is basically the same)

i always go down the custom route myself, i understand that may not be an option for you, i was really big into the console modding game a number of years ago and one of the main things i specialized in apart from custom case mods was xbmc and have been using it for years.

my current setup is an ion based mainboard (practially the same as in the revos) with xbmc 9.11 beta 2 installed and dual booted with windows 7.

i only use windows 7 for web browsing and everything else is on xbmc which handles full 1080p hd video flawlessly. ive even got the 40 gig version of the matrix which is flawless with a few tweak.

revos are the way to go, can be had for £100 to £150 ish i think now, ultra low power and very very small.

hope this helps ;)

i
i only use windows 7 for web browsing and everything else is on xbmc which handles full 1080p hd video flawlessly. ive even got the 40 gig version of the matrix which is flawless with a few tweak.

Awesome transfer to high def that movie btw, honestly you wouldn't tell that it was filmed and screened long before the HD/Blu Ray era....take any modern Blu Ray movie filmed with HD cameras and I guarantee that The Matrix stands tall against it, honestly I was floored. Just goes to show it can be done though....excellent film too! ;)

Last edited:
my current setup is an ion based mainboard (practially the same as in the revos) with xbmc 9.11 beta 2 installed and dual booted with windows 7.

What O/S are you running XBMC under, some variant of linux ?

You could get someone to build u one.That way you can give them ur requirements,choose ur case and operating system.U can run multiple media players on it and never be short of a codec etc.I've been buildin mine for 6 months,mind you it will be a mother of a machine when I'm done.Alas just don't get the time

I was hoping you'd come across that case... it's £5 cheaper at ebuyer, and overclockers have the silver variant for the same price.

The case takes mATX motherboards and also ITX boards. By which I mean you can pick up an ATOM D510 or ION sporting ATOM 330 or even the H55-ITX from Zotac paired with an i3-530 or i5-750.

If you want something more specific specing out post back with your budget. There is little point in me suggesting £350 worth parts if you can only stretch to £275...

Well I want a fast tower like up to date really with sat tuner and so can use xbmc or sumet with it not sure how like is that a dual boot os? Does anyone have that case and is it to big really hopefully a motherboard with wifi built in to keep ports free for upgrading with extra stuff and prob need graphics card for play HD film downloads what you really think is a realistic price ?

The case is 432mm (17") x 414mm (16 1/3") x 146mm (5 11/16"), so probably about as wide as a DVD player but twice as deep. You are covered by distance selling regulations - if you get the case you can return it for a full refund up to 7 days after delivery for any reason, even if it's just because you decide it is too big (though you may be liable for return postage depending on the retailer.)

Anyway, using ebuyer as a guide, with everything you want - that case, DVB-S2, onboard wireless, separate graphics card; you should probably be budgeting for £550 to 600 for a Core i3-530, 4GB DDR3, 1TB based system or £500-550 for an Athlon II X2 250, 4GB DDR3, 1TB based system.

Back