thinking of getting a htpc

For CPU what about a Phenom II x2 555 BE, only 78 notes, more L2 7mb, faster @ 3.2Ghz (reaches 4, and BE so multi unlocked!), and a bargain 80w (i3=73, Athlon=65).

Last edited:
Way over my head with these processors lol last time we built one it was basic and easy to work out was only like 800 MHz

For CPU what about a Phenom II x2 555 BE, only 78 notes, more L2 7mb, faster @ 3.2Ghz (reaches 4, and BE so multi unlocked!), and a bargain 80w (i3=73, Athlon=65).

Could you break that down into a idiots guide lol

I now you keep talking about having a fast setup but nothing you have listed that you will be doing requires anything that hi-end. Unless you are into 3D gaming (fast video card & disk), HD editing (quick CPU), development using VM Machines (CPU, memory and disk) then even a i5 will do what you are asking for.

Personally I am confused by the title, you have listed it as htpc which to me says some small or stylish and quiet that I can use by the TV. Quiet to me says less heat = less cooling = quieter machine. Less heat is achieved is achieved by using the lowest / slowest components that can do the job you are asking for it to do.

Well at the mo we got a and athlon 3400 but it don't seem to handle anything including multi tast just wanted it to sort of be future proof sort of

this is the one i got now think its had a fault from when i bought it sent it of to hp 3 times and they kept replacing the ram saying it was that but it was not so if i try to play music or video after a while it locks up and just makes a noise like a flat line and you have to switch it of at the wall to reset it
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...722&lc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&product=482529&dlc=en

Last edited:
that antec fusion case has loads of bad reviews on the lcd screen been to bright but when ive looked at pictures there seems to be 2 different lcd screens is this right or just photo shoped also does the lcd screen turn of when you switch computer of

I don't think that PC has hardware video acceleration playback. My xbox with PIII chip can play back just about any file at SD resolution. With hardware acceleration, most CPU will playback HD with the right drivers.

Where CPU will come into play is encoding HD if you are recording HD off your sat card. I have a Athlon II 250 with onboard ATI 2400HD graphics and it can easily record HD channel from my S2 freesat card while playing back HD mkv file.

Apparently the issue with the screen brightness is down to iMON using a dark "half-mirrored" filter on the retail model, but Antec seem to have failed to apply any in front of the OEM version fitted to the case. (The filter is the same as the film tints used to car windows.)

I don't see why the screen wouldn't turn off when you shut the PC down - though I've no experience with that case (my comment about hoping you'd find it was down to me thinking it a nice case).

As to your requirements, oneman is right. You could easily throw an D510 or ION sporting ATOM 330 based ITX motherboard in that case and be able to watch 1080p without a problem. Whilst nothing is ever truly future proof, I'd go down the LGA1156 or AM3 route as you will at least be able to upgrade the CPU if you need it (e.g. you find yourself re-encoding videos etc), plus the motherboards will have more than one expansion slot.

General question to everyone.

Do you make use of the VFD on media centre cases. Reason I ask is I had a display on my old xbox and TBH I thought it was a waste of time and money. It was hard to read from 6 or 7 feet away and once you start watching something then what are you going to display, time left, filename, ??

If I wereto build an htpc, I would make sure there were no LEDS or display screens on it at all. I find just one blinking drive light annoying in the dark trying to watch something.

If I wereto build an htpc, I would make sure there were no LEDS or display screens on it at all. I find just one blinking drive light annoying in the dark trying to watch something.

This is part of what I was thinking.

I don't understand the worlds obsession with sticking an ultra bright blue LED into every and anything with the means to power it. It actually makes me pretty angry that the charger for my toothbrush illuminates the whole room.

I don't understand the worlds obsession with sticking an ultra bright blue LED into every and anything with the means to power it. It actually makes me pretty angry that the charger for my toothbrush illuminates the whole room.

you need to get down southend on a saturday night and grunt to some of those guys there to understand, lol

What O/S are you running XBMC under, some variant of linux ?

its based on ubuntu 9.11 bud, i knows theres probably an update out, this version has been flawless.

an xbox 1 running xbmc is spot on, unless you need HD and samba sharing (from xbox) and i would never of updated had i not needed these and a better looking machine.

the antec fusion cases are well made and really nice, but massive and the vfd is useless, quiet box though.

i would always stick with an atom based system, cool quiet and as long as its ion based will play all your HD stuff back flawlessly.

i only want my HTPC for media and hd media. Its dual booted so i can run win 7 on it if i need to, but that would only be if i had no other to use (which will never happen), in fact i have run windows 7 on it, only whilst setting up, and never since.

the ion systems run cool, very quiet and use minimal power.

slap it in this case (expensive though, i have one, cost £200)

Chenbro Micom Co., Ltd.

why do you guys use ubuntu for xbmc when you got it in windows and seems easier

why do you guys use ubuntu for xbmc when you got it in windows and seems easier

There is less hardware overhead with ubuntu so if you are running it on a Atom CPU then it may make a difference.

Back