thinking of a camera and not sure what to do

P33 RRV

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok i am not photographer and i dont have an eye for beauty (if i did i wouldnt look in mirror ;-))

but since the wee one is born i thought about getting a Panasonic lumix DMC-FZ100, being a tight arse i was looking for 2nd hand but cant see one on the old bay of e, does that mean its a good one to get??

will i have to learn lots of things and a photo package on windows??

thanks in advance

forgot to meantion i will need to punt the galaxy s 8gb i have for sale so i am hoping the cam is the right choice

What is your budget?

I can see that a new DMC-FZ100 is around the £330 mark and there are alternatives at this price point, including the Sony Alpha a290 DSLR, but I have a feeling your budget is lower?

aye i see at same price but they dont come up 2nd hand at any price below £250 which is wierd

So around £250 with a bit of wiggle room? In which case you might want to consider the following:

Micro four-thirds "Compact System Cameras":

• Olympus PEN E-PL1 with 14-42mm lens- can be had for just under £280 from Warehouse Express (Quidco will get you 2%)
"Bridge" type cameras:

• Fuji Finepix HS10 - £219.95 from Jessops (Quidco will get you 4%)
  • Fuji Finepix S4000 - £249.99 from Jacobs Digital (Quidco will get you 3%)
  • Nikon Coolpix L120 - £203.99 at WarehouseExpress (phone or use their live chat system before ordering as it may be discontinued)
  • Olympus SP-800UZ - £229.95 at Jessops
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 - £269 at WarehouseExpress (Jacobs' delivery cost more than cancels out the difference in cashback)
Digital compacts:

• Canon PowerShot SX220 HS - £224 at WarehouseExpress
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX7 - £209.99 at WarehouseExpress
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ18 - £219 at WarehouseExpress
  • Pentax Optio WG-1 - £249 at WarehouseExpress

THANKS i will def look in to these as i think its a good investment

I am actually selling a hardly used Sony Alpha A350 with Kit lens plus battery grip and spare battery for £350 inc P+P! Above your budget I know but its a cracking dslr especially for a newbie

Last edited:
Personally, I would go for a Lumix they are great camera's :)
You are right, the FZ100 won't see him wrong. However, there is no leading model at this price point for bridge and digital compact cameras. They all seem to review about the same, but each with their own niché.

Probably the best thing is to take an hour or so to read reviews and compare to the situations he is likely to be taking photos in: most likely daylight, indoors and artificial light. Shutter lag will be important, but high ISOs probably won't.

Back