The speed camera trap on the M6 that's racing towards record £3m haul in fines

K

Inactive User
Reaction score
For such an innocuous stretch of motorway, it is fast gaining a fearsome reputation.
In little more than five weeks, this three-mile length of road cutting through the scenic borderlands of North-West England has smashed the British record for speed camera victims.
An astonishing 5,569 motorists have been caught breaking the 50mph speed limit by the fixed cameras at roadworks at a junction of the M6 near Carlisle.

'Cash cow': One of the cameras on the M6 where 5,569 motorists have been caught breaking the 50mph speed limit in just over a month
With each motorist set to receive a minimum fixed penalty fine of £60, the cameras have already raked in more than £334,000.
And with three weeks of work to go, they are set to bring in fines of more than £500,000 in just two months - the equivalent of £3million a year.
The previous record was held by a camera on the M11, which raked in £1million a year.

Angry motoring groups say the huge number of victims is proof that speed cameras - which earn more than £100million in fines a year - are being used as a 'cash cow' by the Government.
Nigel Humphries, of the Association of British Drivers, said: 'This has to be the worst case we have heard of.
'There is a bad one on the M11 but it is nothing like this - this is appalling and the speed cameras must be sited wrongly to have clocked so many speeding drivers.'

Speed map of shame: Figures compiled last year show the most lucrative cameras in England - which have been far overtaken by the trap on the M6

Claire Armstrong, of Safespeed, said: 'This is absolutely disgusting. This puts all the others in the shade. The cameras on the M11, which are questionable, were raising around £1million a year but this one would substantially beat that.
'This has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with raising money.'
Mr Humphries added: 'Cameras on motorways are the biggest revenue-raisers because often people using the roads are not local and not aware of the roadworks or speed limits. It's pretty shocking that so many people have been caught and many will be furious when they get a nasty little surprise in the post.'
The roadworks between Junctions 43 and 44 of the M6 near Carlisle began on January 29 and will continue until April.

Kevin Tea, from Cumbrian Road Safety Partnership, admitted the figures were high but said the cameras were in the standard yellow boxes and were highly visible - as were the speed limit signs.
A Highways Agency spokesman said: 'We are concerned about the number of drivers who appear to be ignoring the speed limit, putting themselves and our workforce in danger.
'Driving through half a mile of roadworks at 70mph takes just ten seconds fewer than driving at 50mph - a ten-second saving that can put lives at risk.'
Last year the Daily Mail revealed that the number of crashes on the M11 at its junction with the North Circular A406 near Woodford, Essex, had increased by 25 per cent since a speed camera was installed.

Read more: Speed camera trap on M6 racing towards record £3m haul in fines | Mail Online

Speed camera trap on M6 racing towards record £3m haul in fines | Mail Online

they should use the money they collected via the fines should
goto repair the fookin potholes up and down the country

A Highways Agency spokesman said: 'We are concerned about the number of drivers who appear to be ignoring the speed limit, putting themselves and our workforce in danger.

Putting workforce in danger my arse!!!! there are no workforce there!!

I wonder what would happen if all the motorists stopped paying parking and speeding fines altogether....government would go bankrupt!

For such an innocuous stretch of motorway, it is fast gaining a fearsome reputation.
In little more than five weeks, this three-mile length of road cutting through the scenic borderlands of North-West England has smashed the British record for speed camera victims.
An astonishing 5,569 motorists have been caught breaking the 50mph speed limit by the fixed cameras at roadworks at a junction of the M6 near Carlisle.

'Cash cow': One of the cameras on the M6 where 5,569 motorists have been caught breaking the 50mph speed limit in just over a month
With each motorist set to receive a minimum fixed penalty fine of £60, the cameras have already raked in more than £334,000.
And with three weeks of work to go, they are set to bring in fines of more than £500,000 in just two months - the equivalent of £3million a year.
The previous record was held by a camera on the M11, which raked in £1million a year.

Angry motoring groups say the huge number of victims is proof that speed cameras - which earn more than £100million in fines a year - are being used as a 'cash cow' by the Government.
Nigel Humphries, of the Association of British Drivers, said: 'This has to be the worst case we have heard of.
'There is a bad one on the M11 but it is nothing like this - this is appalling and the speed cameras must be sited wrongly to have clocked so many speeding drivers.'

Speed map of shame: Figures compiled last year show the most lucrative cameras in England - which have been far overtaken by the trap on the M6

Claire Armstrong, of Safespeed, said: 'This is absolutely disgusting. This puts all the others in the shade. The cameras on the M11, which are questionable, were raising around £1million a year but this one would substantially beat that.
'This has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with raising money.'
Mr Humphries added: 'Cameras on motorways are the biggest revenue-raisers because often people using the roads are not local and not aware of the roadworks or speed limits. It's pretty shocking that so many people have been caught and many will be furious when they get a nasty little surprise in the post.'
The roadworks between Junctions 43 and 44 of the M6 near Carlisle began on January 29 and will continue until April.

Kevin Tea, from Cumbrian Road Safety Partnership, admitted the figures were high but said the cameras were in the standard yellow boxes and were highly visible - as were the speed limit signs.
'Driving through half a mile of roadworks at 70mph takes just ten seconds fewer than driving at 50mph - a ten-second saving that can put lives at risk.'
Last year the Daily Mail revealed that the number of crashes on the M11 at its junction with the North Circular A406 near Woodford, Essex, had increased by 25 per cent since a speed camera was installed.

Read more: Speed camera trap on M6 racing towards record £3m haul in fines | Mail Online

Speed camera trap on M6 racing towards record £3m haul in fines | Mail Online

i can understand the back lash and the criticism of the camera but at the end of the day the motorist are breaking the speed limit.so we haven't got a leg to stand on i cant talk about keeping to the speed limit as i am only human and break it some times but the speed limit is put on the roads for reasons and if it would save a life then we should go with it ..they would be a lot of people saying i could go a little faster and be OK but it only takes a second to kill someone it may not be our fault but could be avoided if we cut our speed a little

i can understand the back lash and the criticism of the camera but at the end of the day the motorist are breaking the speed limit.so we haven't got a leg to stand on i cant talk about keeping to the speed limit as i am only human and break it some times but the speed limit is put on the roads for reasons and if it would save a life then we should go with it ..they would be a lot of people saying i could go a little faster and be OK but it only takes a second to kill someone it may not be our fault but could be avoided if we cut our speed a little

I think the arguement is, is that its obvious that speed cameras arent doing anything to slow people down. it just shows theyre using them to make money.. Put road cones on a 5 mile stretch, add a few cameras and you have roadworks... maybe they should find alternatives, i dont know what these are..

I used to go on a road that was being revamped.. they fineshed the work.. looked all nice etc.. a week later a lane was closed with cones and cams.. but no digging ever happened.. ???

Exactly.....its dangerous ..people just slam on when they see it coming !!
They are bad news !
Its like the average speed ones , u only need to do 50 past them , but in between them go 80mph to make up for time lost ..
cameras are just piggy banks ,and are absolutley useless
i have nearly ran into the back of countless cars on the mways for slammin on for a camera !

Its like the average speed ones , u only need to do 50 past them !

The point is in the average, this is the average speed carried trough out the length of the area covered by the camera's.

I still agree with the general response as to the reason for speed cameras is not always for road safety purposes and/or not for the safety of workforce.
They are just a money box for the coffers in the police and government who rip us off enough already.
Accidents on Motorways are caused by impatient drivers intimidating others and the dick heads who drive oblivious to whats behind them sat in the middle lane doing 40 - 50 Mph.

50 miles per hour on road works on a motor way for safty reasons... my arse if u hit some 1 doing 50 there dead any way. just piggy banks for the gov end of

Have you ever had a car go past you at 70 from a few feet away?

Back