the shutdown madness PLEASE HELP

ericbshort

Inactive User
Reaction score
Lat night I had just finished sorting out my main computer, just as I finished finally sorting it out my backup computer goes down .....AAAAHHHHH.
It starts ok. I can get into the bios but when it load the 1st BLACK Microsoft startup window, it restarts after loading this page. It doesn't open XP
Any ideas?
Thanks

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid that if possible but realistically it looks like it's the only way. fingers crossed my docs + settings should be ok
I'll let you know how it goes
Thanks

have you installed anything that may have caused this? if so go into safe mode and remove it, if ya can get in safe mode...
if that is the case...
this may not be a problem with anything being corrupt it could just be a driver issue.

I'm just going to copy the info from the hard disk then reinstall, it's due for an overhaul anyway
thanks regardless
e

had the same problem last week after downloading an update from windows update site for my graphics card (asus radeon 9200 se). had to remove graphics card and borrow one from my old dear's pc to set windows to an old restore point. popped my card back in all seems well.

The shutdown madness returns

I recently upgraded my power supply as someone suggested this would help my problem. The computer resarts for no reason.
I've abosulutely no idea what triggers this as it happens when I'm using and not using the computer
microsoft anti spyware and estrust ezvirus don't detect anything

ideas most welcome

Had a few like this @ wrk recently, ram all fine and all tests out OK just to do with pairing. If you have unmatched sticks it can be worth while hunting for a swap. Also check cpu temp, you'll only get an alarm if its enabled in the bios. I tend to renew thermalpaste / pads e.t.c every 8-12 months on cpu and gpu's

Thanks for that. I'll try the memory first. If that doesn't work I'll renew motherboard mem + cpu. It's due an upgrage.

Recommendations on a mboard would be great. I render video/animations quite a lot and have always used gigabyte mb but someone told me they're quite fart. So any suggestions would be great. peace
e

It sounds similar to what my machine did, I had fitted two PC3200 512MB DIMMs running as Dual Channel.

They worked fine at 333MHz (PC2700 RAM would have done but I was planning a processor upgrade from an Athlon XP 2500+ to a XP 3200+). I had been told they would work as dual channel at 400MHz but after fitting the new processor the system reset while booting. Worked fine with only one DIMM in though.

I had to buy some better RAM to get Dual Channel working.

capcomind said:
I like gigabyte boards myself, robust stable and fairly feature packed, a lot of the guys @ wrk like Asus and MSI too. All depends on budget.............

My board is a Gigabyte :).

I had a similar problem awhile ago, turned out to be the power supply. It worked fine, just wasn't powerfull enough for the PC. I upgraded it to a 550w and it been great ever since.

If its an intel then go for an intel board - they've come down drastically over the past year and are not much more expensive then other good boards. With intel you know what your getting and you know the tests they'll have done for proper compatibility on their CPU's.

If AMD then i use MSI - never had an issue, but make sure its using a proper AMD fan.

Delster said:
I had a similar problem awhile ago, turned out to be the power supply. It worked fine, just wasn't powerfull enough for the PC. I upgraded it to a 550w and it been great ever since.

Good point delster, even a strong PSU will degrade overtime, see if you can "borrow" a new one to swap out. Maplins have a 16 day no quible returns policy, or at least my local one does!!! PS... Have some lovely paired ddr for sale!!

Delster said:

I did upgrade the power supply from the original to 550W and it worked fine until recently. But I will set up the alarm in the bios and try using one memory slot.

Thanks for all the advice, I''d love anymore suggestions on mb's
nice one

It could also be a heat related thing with the CPU, make sure the fan is working correctly and is clean.

Also try removeing the heatsink/fan and cleaning the two faces ( CPU & heatsink) and renewing the heatsink compound etc.

colin.

Back