dell inspiron 1501 blue screening when booting OS and during XP install

Kipp

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey everyone, new to the forums.

but my problem is exactly what the title says. i cant get no where with this laptop. ive got a dell inspiron 1501 laptop that a friend wants me to try and fix for his nephew. when i brought it home and tried starting it i already saw problems and noticed that the battery was bad and i had to use the AC adapter to turn it on. when i do i get a message saying something like "this battery cant be identified, this battery can not be charged" hit F2 for setup, hit F12 for boot menu.

so, i took the battery out and ran it straight from the AC. at the OS loading screen, i noticed it had the vista loading bar and not the xp like they come factory with. well, after a few seconds of loading i get a quick blue screen (so fast i cant catch anything of what it says) then it restarts itself. so i figured, maybe the OS is bad or something and ill try my xp professional disk.

put the disk in, rebooted it, tried to get into setup to change boot menu. come to find out it had a BIOS password, awesome. my friend told me he didnt know it. so then i researched forever for a way to bypass it and thats where i came accross this forum and found a thread by someone named dentist i think it was having the phoenix master password generator download. <---your a life saver.

deleted the password, rebooted and it started to boot from disk, all the files were loading and preparing. and right before it starts to install. it says "checking disk 112780MB of 0MB" or something like that. then a blue screen shows that says "page fault in nonpaged area" with an error code of STOP: 0x0000000050 and a bunch of other numbers.

from what everything says, i fear the drive is bad. or has anyone heard of this happening and know a way to fix it? its getting very frustrating. any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT** i just checked out the sticky about stop errors. i forgot to look before i posted. i tried to take a RAM stick out and do it again, then replaced it with the other and tried it. i also tried diagnostics and everything checked out. even the hard drive. thats why im at such a loss with this.

Last edited:
hey sorry for the late reply. i had posted that in the wee hours of the morning after i got tired of researching all over the internet, so i ended up going to bed.

but as for the ram. how would i go about doing the memtest when i cant boot the computer to the desktop?

and the laptop im on right now im pretty sure is using ddr2, if ddr3 ill just go out and buy some. so ill try to swap out and see if i get any different results.

thanks!

Well I got a little further. I took out the drive and put it back in. The windows setup got to the partition screen to install on. But when I hit the arrow to select the partition, I get the error

STOP… 0x0000008E

Setupdd.sys - address f7415e54 base at f73ed000, datestamp 48025277

I progressed a little bit, any ideas??

well, i did more research, and your right. everything is pointing towards bad RAM.

the laptop im using is ddr3 so i couldnt swap it. so tomorrow im going to go out and buy me a stick of ddr2 and see if that solves it. if so ill buy the other.

thanks for the reply

It might help you if you get Hirens Boot CD. This has all the diagnostic tools required including hard drive and Ram testing software. Its a free download just google it and burn to CD as long as you can boot it should work and give you a clear indication as to whats wrong. There are other memory testers on that CD. Next thing to do if it is the RAM is check the make as sometimes they still have warrenty on the strips, and if it is found to faulty the manufacturer usually replaces them.

hello
i got an inspiron 1501 and my problem is the BIOS password i forgot it cuz i was in travel , i took it to a private computer repairer and he did the jumper thing of the motherboard battery, didn t work , so any suggestion for my problem :S plzzzzzz

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into the bios and check the hard drive settings. Make sure they are IDE not SATA for win xp. Try that, its worked for me in the past when changing vista installs to xp :)

@Jamespet

Dell Inspiron BIOS Password Recovery

Each Dell Inspiron has a master password which will clear the BIOS password. You can get this number by calling Dell Technical Support

Dell Technical Support will request the Service Tag and Express Service Code from the bottom of your Inspiron.

If you were not the original owner of the Inspiron, Dell will transfer registration of the used Inspiron from the original owner with only the Service Tag and Express Service Code from the tag on the laptop.

To transfer the registration of a used Dell Inspiron, fill out the Transfer of Ownership form on Dell's web site.

Last edited:
Back