the older driver, Tesco car park.

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
Just popped into Tesco at Ollerton the other day and walking back to the van i walked past an old bugger reving the hell out of his Honda civic reversing out of a Parking space.
Next thing i hear a Bang and the old Bloke has reversed Straight back into a Brand new White Audi A4.
Didnt even get out to look at the damage, just drove off !

Nothing too serious, just a Paint scuff on the Audi bumper, but still the owner is gonna be P*ssed Off.
So im I did my good deed for the day and wrote the Car reg of the Old Bugger, make model, Colour Etc on a bit of Paper and left it on the Audi Windscreen with my contact Details as a Witness.

Not sure what will come of it as it was on Private property, but there are too many Old buggers out there who should not be driving as they cant control a car safely anymore.

Maybe there should be some sort of Compulsary Medical or at least an eye test when you reach 70?

I know Young drivers get a Bad Rep, but there plenty of Older drivers that are just as Much of Risk on the Roads.

Nice one mate. Wish some one done that for me when somebody reversed into my brand new car doing £500 worth of damage to my front bumper and wing. I fekin hate parking in supermarket car parks.

Daft as it seems always try and park as far as you can at the end of the car park cause I think every body try's to get as close as they can to the door of the supermarket

i think EVERYONE should be made to resit their driving test at 65, id be happy to resit my test every 10 years. the roads are a lot busier now than when a lot of older people passed their tests. i do a lot of mileage, and some of the worst driving i see is by old people

your license allowing you to drive is a priveladge, not a right, and while 'in control' of a car, you are in control of something that could kill people around you very easily

I had my car side swiped TWICE quite a few years ago while it was outside my house, both occasions it was covered in yellow paint and cost me in the region of £400 each time to repair.

It turned out it from some intuitive investigatory work or rather process of elimination that it was some OAP knob head driving the miss daisy bus for the old people from the council. I got nowhere and needless to say it came out my pocket.

theres an old biddy lives by me, has a tiny yellow car, EVERY corner of it is multi couloured, where shes scraped the paint off so many cars, she has no passenger wing mirror and the drivers side one is also battered, the car is only a few years old. everyone calls her 'nancy no gears' as she drives everywhere in first, ive seen her rev the guts out of the car at a junction, with nothing coming, then pull out in front of a bus about 45 yards away, causing the bus to slam on the breaks, and she just tootles along as though nothings happened

people like this SHOULD NOT be driving, but, untill she causes a crash that kills someone (and shes involved), or someone kills her, she will carry on as though nothing is wrong

I do the same mate, I would rather walk that bit more so Im parked away from others that want to open there door onto my car
makes me laugh when you see someone getting in a space where the cars either side of them are upto the white lines, and there really isnt enough room but they SQueeZE into the gap because its that tiny bit closer to the store lmao
muppets

Daft as it seems always try and park as far as you can at the end of the car park cause I think every body try's to get as close as they can to the door of the supermarket

i think EVERYONE should be made to resit their driving test at 65, id be happy to resit my test every 10 years. the roads are a lot busier now than when a lot of older people passed their tests. i do a lot of mileage, and some of the worst driving i see is by old people

your license allowing you to drive is a priveladge, not a right, and while 'in control' of a car, you are in control of something that could kill people around you very easily

Unfortunately for one Young Girls Family a change vin the Law can not come soon Enough, but wont bring their Daughter back.

Student mown down by 87-year-old driver who refused to give up licence - mirror.co.uk

theres an old biddy lives by me, has a tiny yellow car, EVERY corner of it is multi couloured, where shes scraped the paint off so many cars, she has no passenger wing mirror and the drivers side one is also battered, the car is only a few years old. everyone calls her 'nancy no gears' as she drives everywhere in first, ive seen her rev the guts out of the car at a junction, with nothing coming, then pull out in front of a bus about 45 yards away, causing the bus to slam on the breaks, and she just tootles along as though nothings happened

Sounds quite comical at first glance but who knows what misery she has already caused some fastidious owner, be it a new car or merely someones pride and joy?

I whole heartedly agree with the idea of retaking your test, albeit a quickie, in order to prove that you are still competent. Think of the extra jobs created for the testing process as well as possible reduction in insurance bills.

I too know of an elderly driver who would benefit greatly from a trip to the opticians and a few well placed words of wisdom, but they will mean little coming from me...simply because of the fact I am a good friend and they are the type who are almost never wrong and don't like it when they are proved otherwise. My telling them to do something about certain aspects of their driving abilities would throw a spanner in the works of our friendship and make them less likely to get sorted, by being pig headed. It's a tricky situation for sure and I have hinted about eye tests before but the problem goes deeper than just the sight aspect. Lane discipline, for example, is very poor. Driving alongside them as a passenger in their car is not a pleasant experience.

It's the old story...it isn't going to happen to them, even though it usually has in some small ways...dents and the like. It isn't every elderly person who thinks like this but I am sure that there are many who simply can't be bothered to improve their situation, or are unaware of it.

It could also signal the end of their true independence if they were found to be not up to the task at hand and had to rely on public transport/taxis/family to get them from A to B.

None of us are perfect drivers but some people certainly have more than their fair share of faults :)

Personally, I think 65 should be end of car driving - end of. That gives me 7 years and right now I think that will be about right.

Hopefully I'll have the sense to ditch the motor before I get like me neighbour who is dangerous just bleeding walking...

Personally, I think 65 should be end of car driving - end of. That gives me 7 years and right now I think that will be about right.

Hopefully I'll have the sense to ditch the motor before I get like me neighbour who is dangerous just bleeding walking...

Ditch your tool bag as well m8 and do us all a favour. :Laugh:

good on ya stihl mate......

i would of done the same.....

but as sticky says, i all ways park the furthest away as i can even in my company van for this reason and even then i will always take up 2 parking spaces...

my mrs does my head in as she will try and park as close as she can to the supermarket and we end up squeezing out of the car... lol

Toolbag? Oh, you read the other post? Well, if you saw the shite the poor buggers had been shafted with you'd get your toolbag out...don't get me started on cowboys :(

Well done mate. If you witness something I believe its your right to cone forward. It could stop false claims.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I'm so glad this thread exists because old people on the road infuriate me! so many old drivers who are simply terrible! but yet they have this unfounded attitude that they are always in the right! arghh so annoying lol

Well you know what they say.

Wherever I lay my cap that's my home..or was it hat.

My father in law is exactly the same - one night he stuck the car in reverse and reversed back into the front of my wifes car, then stuck it in first and drove off! The wife and I just looked at each other gob smacked! There is no telling them though, he can't see the irony when he is telling us that the guy up the road shouldn't be driving as his hands shake so much!

Back