The end of the plastic bag.

The people that work in that industry compared to the damage being done to this planet is a no brainer. The companies could easily diversify by using a different bio degradable material. We all need some sort of container to carry our shopping.
I used to be mystified watching American programmes where their shopping was in brown bags with no handles. The lack of handles still mystifies me but brown paper makes sense. Potatoes, mushrooms, probably any veg or fruit fare better in brown paper than plastic. Doesn't clog our landfill sites either with crap that doesn't decay.

Up until the late 60's the shops always gave you a paper carrier bag usually with string handles if you required a bag, and loose items were put into paper bags or wrapped in paper and of course bottles were glass and you got a refund for returning them.
And the only bin required was a small metal dustbin, not 3 or 4 huge wheelie bins that are required today.

Up until the late 60's the shops always gave you a paper carrier bag usually with string handles if you required a bag, and loose items were put into paper bags or wrapped in paper and of course bottles were glass and you got a refund for returning them.
And the only bin required was a small metal dustbin, not 3 or 4 huge wheelie bins that are required today.

That was when we incinerated everything, now environmentally unfriendly in this country, and landfill is getting expensive and running out. Your tiny grey bin is coming :)

Im must be old fashioned, I would rather see people in work earning a living.

im off out now to, sign on.... and hug a few trees on my way :classic:

You're right, you are old fashioned.
We have been abusing the world we live in ever since the start of the industrial revolution. It is only in the last few years that we realise where we went wrong and are trying to make amends. We would all like to see people making a living but preferably not to the detriment of the World we live in. Our children and grandchildren deserve to make a living as well. I'm no die hard save the Planet freak, just a bloke who like a lot of others realise that it is changing for the worse and bad things can happen.

The Government should ban the manufacture of plastic carrier bags. Use the tax they have earned from it and pay for the suppliers to use a bio degradable substance instead.

We have been abusing the world we live in ever since the start of the industrial revolution. It is only in the last few years that we realise where we went wrong and are trying to make amends. We would all like to see people making a living but preferably not to the detriment of the World we live in. Our children and grandchildren deserve to make a living as well. I'm no die hard save the Planet freak, just a bloke who like a lot of others realise that it is changing for the worse and bad things can happen.

The Government should ban the manufacture of plastic carrier bags. Use the tax they have earned from it and pay for the suppliers to use a bio degradable substance instead.
Disagree completely. It's a money racket. If people didn't throw them at there ar*e it wouldn't be a problem. I can't see plastic bags filling up every landfill site in Europe. It's nanny state going made.
I remember my bins got emptied every week. Now it's every 2 weeks and I'm ment to recycle rubbish with the other bin. I'd love to know how much money the councils make from recycled rubbish. I still don't see my rates go down and service is less. Now we have to do the work for the council.
Im waiting on the government to put a high tax on tins beans as apparently the second hand gas damages the ozone layer.
Millions of years ago when the earth heated up I don't think T-REX was driving 200 miles a day and booking flights with jet2.
The world is going mad!!!

Best way to sort it out?
(tax you) all about money.

True to some extent chookey it would save a small proportion of the planet by manufacturing bio degradable bags but what you must realise is do we really give a toss about a 5p plastic bag when there is so much hate and war going on in the World?. It is indeed this that is destroying the planet and the fact that man made substances are not helping. Just a thought from an old bag. ;)

playing devils advocate here...

UK government have given permission to build an 18 billion pound nuclear power plant this week...
where does that highly toxic waste go?

all things considered, are plastic bags that important?

Disagree completely. It's a money racket. If people didn't throw them at there ar*e it wouldn't be a problem. I can't see plastic bags filling up every landfill site in Europe.
Moron

Just a thought from an old bag. ;)

There's nothing wrong with being an old bag Miggy, at least you've been of some use. :Cheers:

Disagree completely. It's a money racket. If people didn't throw them at there ar*e it wouldn't be a problem. I can't see plastic bags filling up every landfill site in Europe. It's nanny state going mad.

Conspiracy theory bollox that completely flies in the face of the facts.

Disagree completely. It's a money racket. If people didn't throw them at there ar*e it wouldn't be a problem. I can't see plastic bags filling up every landfill site in Europe. It's nanny state going made.
I remember my bins got emptied every week. Now it's every 2 weeks and I'm ment to recycle rubbish with the other bin. I'd love to know how much money the councils make from recycled rubbish. I still don't see my rates go down and service is less. Now we have to do the work for the council.
Im waiting on the government to put a high tax on tins beans as apparently the second hand gas damages the ozone layer.
Millions of years ago when the earth heated up I don't think T-REX was driving 200 miles a day and booking flights with jet2.
The world is going mad!!!

Best way to sort it out?
(tax you) all about money.

They do It's called council tax, and ruddy expensive. As I've already posted We live on a small Island, With an ever increasing population who want us to be really green. I've not got the solution unless we lean to turn all our crap to something usefull.

playing devils advocate here...

UK government have given permission to build an 18 billion pound nuclear power plant this week...
where does that highly toxic waste go?

all things considered, are plastic bags that important?

Without googling I believe that all nuclear waste is deposited on rubbish tips in Kenya. Where young children can pick their way through it and put some rice on the table. On second thoughts, that is actually old tv's with leaded solder which we don't want in this country.
Nuclear waste is relatively small, needs to be buried very deep and loses its' radiation after quite a lot of years. ( Does it show I didn't google this?) :proud:
Plastic bags are only important in the fact that when buried they stay that way. They don't break down, insects won't eat them so they just clog up the Landfill sites. They can't be recycled either so the only way to get rid of them is to burn them which only reduces them.

No-one seems to be producing string bags now. For ages I've wanted strong bags that will collapse down and fit into a pocket for doing my food shopping. Maybe the handles would need plastic tubes or some kind of woven bit.

My mother told me that they did exist in the 70s!

I remember my grandma using a string bag early 70's
1pcs Mesh BAG Organic Cotton String Shopping Short Handle RE Usable BAG Random | eBay

If you still use a string vest @Spectre use that

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

Last edited by a moderator:
Conspiracy theory bollox that completely flies in the face of the facts.
There never has been a conspiracy. The planet has went through many glodal warming events. That's a fact.
(even before humans)
Charging 5p a bag is not gonna save the world.
Dont get me wrong. As I think it's a good thing as it's an eye sore seeing them blowing round streets and especially rural areas.
As I said previously it's just another way to pick your pocket.
5p is not a lot of money but it's a lot over the year nation wide. The 5p charge hasn't stopped me using plastic bags.

I think We should be asking do we want nuclear power, and if we do, do we want the French and Chinese building it, I wouldn't have anything Chinese built.
My father worked at Windscale plant, which was operational within 5 years of world war 2, British built, British owned. So why is this edf project going to take 20 Years and use Chinese tech, they seem to be able to through up things in weeks.
We should be asking what has gone wrong and is privatization a good thing, I don't think so.

Last edited:
As I said previously it's just another way to pick your pocket.
5p is not a lot of money but it's a lot over the year nation wide. The 5p charge hasn't stopped me using plastic bags.

How to miss the point by several light years!

See link in post #1.

That was when we incinerated everything, now environmentally unfriendly in this country, and landfill is getting expensive and running out. Your tiny grey bin is coming :)

Where i live they certainly didn't incinerate waste and the "tip" wasn't so much landfill as land height increase (that land is now parkland with "methane chimneys" scattered about).
The local council has just informed many in the town that larger wheelie bins are about to be issued (no doubt so they can extend the collection periods) that means there is going to be a huge amount of heavy duty plastic that is going to required disposal.

I think We should be asking do we want nuclear power, and if we do, do we want the French and Chinese building it, I wouldn't have anything Chinese built.
My father worked at Windscale plant, which was operational within 5 years of world war 2, British built, British owned. So why is this edf project going to take 20 Years and use Chinese tech, they seem to be able to through up things in weeks.
We should be asking what has gone wrong and is privatization a good thing, I don't think so.

Agree with you 100% Sneaker, and what better way to provide British jobs. We could also ensure that materials for the railway projects HS2 and Crossrail are British sourced, creating a need for British produced steel !! amongst other materials and services.
Unfortunately too many politicians and cronies have their fingers in the pie to ensure that the British Infrastructure stays British Built and British Sourced.

Back