VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
... a sort of Village Tale!

So, this is it:

P1010487.resized.JPG

P1010488.resized.JPG

P1010489.resized.JPG

This is what we're dealing with. The bath was marked August 1979 ffs!

P1010490.resized.JPG

P1010491.resized.JPG

It's now about lunchtime and most of the bathroom is in the skip where it belongs!

The mirrors were the scary bit, can we get them out? The floor is so 'flexible' it had to be skipped too. There are more screws in the new floor than, arguably, timber although a load of 3x2 went into reinforcing.

More pics tomoz :)

The mirrors were the scary bit, can we get them out? The floor is so 'flexible' it had to be skipped too. There are more screws in the new floor than, arguably, timber although a load of 3x2 went into reinforcing.

More pics tomoz :)

What did you put on the floor ?, joist spacing looks like it needs 22mm P5, if chipboard.

I used 18 or 20mm wbp ply on mine, can't remember which, bit pricey, but not too bad for smallish bathroom.
Hope I never need it up though, used building adhesive and screws for most of it, just screwed "hatches" in likely places.

Still, whatever you ordered goes down, the boss will be feeling grubby by now !

Mirrors look big, if you're not keeping them, how about strips of duct tape, or similar, break them, then put pieces through
the bathroom window, taking window glass out if necessary, might save time.

That's what I did with a cast iron/steel bath. Two of us could just about lift it but through door, no chance.
Tried cutting it up with an angle grinder, little effect before discs knackered. Sledge hammer OK.

It all went out through the door, including mirrors, left the bog working on day one...

P1010492.resized.JPG

The 18mm chip with bracing seemed solid enough, although tiling to wood is never great. Extra flexy, rapid-set and we're fitting after 2 hours :)

P1010493.resized.JPG

Jeez, this one shouldn't fit in here, we're falling over each other it's so small...

P1010494.resized.JPG

Sunday, tiling...

...more tiling!

It all went out through the door, including mirrors, left the bog working on day one...

View attachment 73045

The 18mm chip with bracing seemed solid enough, although tiling to wood is never great. Extra flexy, rapid-set and we're fitting after 2 hours :)

View attachment 73046

Jeez, this one shouldn't fit in here, we're falling over each other it's so small...

View attachment 73047

Sunday, tiling...

...more tiling!

Impressive, in the time scale !

Like the staging with the new spirit levels (labels still attached ?) but couldn't zoom in on the bubbles !

Tiling, always quite liked that, a feeling of permanence about it. Preparation, something else. :)

Like the staging with the new spirit levels (labels still attached ?) but couldn't zoom in on the bubbles !

What labels? Oh, it's lumps of plaster and tile adhesive lol

I've done worse, the mirrors are pretty scary though!

I wouldn't like them in my bathroom, I'd be very smelly.LOL.

You didn't dry-line it for the 'U' value and ease of skimming/tiling etc?

I've done worse, the mirrors are pretty scary though!

I wouldn't like them in my bathroom, I'd be very smelly.LOL.

You didn't dry-line it for the 'U' value and ease of skimming/tiling etc?

Fortunately the mirrors were plastic backed so in the skip! Very tight and only one outside wall, tiles came off clean so just sealed the walls...

Looks good bud! Awkward taking pictures of bathrooms isn't it, nearly always bang the back of my head on the wall trying to get as much as possible in.

looks nice, one thing thou and its a pet hate with these baths, if the taps ever fail or leak its bath out time and its a ball ache job, i have done a few and turned

down jobs coz of the taps in the middle gag, looks lovely just hope you never have any probs with the taps.

Yep! Like changing your hall light bulb whilst outside gaining access to it through the letter box.

Here's one that did my fruit in, had to cut each tile with the machine because they had grooves cut in so as to look like mosaics when grouted.

1wallview2.JPG1showerview.JPG1leftview.JPG1bathsideview.JPG

Yep! Like changing your hall light bulb whilst outside gaining access to it through the letter box.

Here's one that did my fruit in, had to cut each tile with the machine because they had grooves cut in so as to look like mosaics when grouted.

View attachment 73148View attachment 73149View attachment 73150View attachment 73151

Nice :)

On the silicone front, not a wet finger, a clean licked finger. Masking tape where required then let it set up a bit and rub the excess away. Finally wash down with a sponge and a little warm water.

Yeah, the taps...small bathroom and someone with a disability. It's a shower bath and the taps are on metre-long tails and have standard, replaceable 3/4" inserts. Leave it 24 hours to check for leaks under pressure before tiling down to the bath. The rest is down to prayer but at least we've done everything reasonable :)

Back