[Test] HDD Interface Kit from Dbox2.Com

pt-1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Dbox IDE Interface by http://www.dbox2.com/

I received an early Christmas Present this year courtesy of Dbox2.Com. These guys manufactured the 2nd Version of the IDE Interface.

Originally a project started years ago but never went to a stage were it was mass produced as nobody wanted to fetch out the money that was needed to buy at least 1000 of the Nokia Dbox Memory Connectors.

Last year a 2nd Project started by Dbox Baer and Gurgel (Creator) of IFA went ahead and started production of an IDE Interface for all 3 Box types.

Unfortunately demand was so high that most of the time Gurgel could only deliver boards after months to customers that had already paid.

As Dbox Baer’s Development was under the GPL everybody could produce an IDE Interface and this is what the boys from Dbox2.Com did.

Their Interface goes a step further and more development will follow in the future (DMA mode or more…).

The Version’s I kindly received to test (Nokia and Sagem) even included a RTC (RealTimeClock) that makes sure the Dbox time is always 100% as not to miss any recordings.

Bild1-k.jpg

It also comes with an SD Card Reader on Board to use as a Swap Device (Speed) or to enhance the Dbox Memory for more Games&Plugins or even MP3’s

You can even connect an External Card Reader to the Dbox to be used for your Photos or Music.

These Boards are optimized to be used with 2.5” HDD as they develop less heat and are easier to fit due their size.
They also produce less heat and turn off automatically once the Dbox is powered off.

The Boards have up to 3 connectors for extra Fans but you must get 27V from the Nokia Dbox in this example.
It can then produce enough power for up 2x 2.5” HDD’s and the RTC and the fans.

It also comes with a HDD activity onboard and extra external connectors in case you want to install LED’s so you can see on the front of the Dbox.

In my Version/Setup I did not use the 27V as the 5V of the Modem port produces enough amps to power my Toshiba 40GB HDD.
A Maxtor HDD had been reported to work too without any soldering.

The Installation itself was very easy on my Avia600 Nokia Sat Box.

The Basic Kit comes only with the IDE Interface and cost's 49€ but for another 10€ you get an universal HDD holder and a converter from 3.5" to 2.5"
BASIC
P9230009-k.jpg

EXTRA
P9230007-k.jpg

1GB is needed for approximately 1h of recording depending on the Bitrate of the Station you are chosen to record.
The Following example is demonstrated on a Nokia Box and the Photos are done not by my self.

YOUR NOKIA DBOX MUST HAVE 32MB OF MEMORY ON BOARD OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

Check on Boot up that the LCD Display shows 32/00/08 !!

Dismantle the Dbox first

The screws on the side of the Nokia Dbox are 6 Star Security screws but a little flat headed screwdriver can be used to open them.
If this does not work please use a pair of pliers to loosen the screw’s.

Installation of the IDE Interface

The Photos seem to be in the wrong order as you first unscrew 4 screw’s that hold the Nokia Mainboard to the bottom of the Dbox.
You then unscrew the screws on the back of the Dbox and again use a pair of pliers to loosen the bolts of the RS232 Interface.

Unscrew the Modem and take the Modem out of the Dbox.

Please be very careful to disconnect the LCD connector by accident as you can destroy the Dbox CPU when it is only half connected or pulled out once powered up.

Installation of the HDD Holder

Above show’s you the location of the external connectors and were you find the 27V.
In case of you using the 27V you must set the Jumpers on the Interface into the shown position. If plugged into the top two it get’s power from the 5V Modemport.

The last part after you put everything back together is to activate the HDD Drivers in the menu of your Image of choice. Only the latest Images contain these drivers and the location of this Menu varies from Image to Image.

1st you need to load the driver and then reboot the box to be able to format and initialize the installed HDD. The best File system is the XFS and you then just set your recording path to /hdd in the Direct Recording Settings.

Got a homer simpson style dribble on the go.lol UUMMMM internal hdd aaaaaarrrrrrrrr.
Want one !

Got a homer simpson style dribble on the go.lol UUMMMM internal hdd aaaaaarrrrrrrrr.
Want one !

They've been available for yonks mate, this is just a rework of the original device.

This one says sagem as well though, i though they were only previosly available for nokias ??
Probably wrong lol
Got nas recording great with my nokia but its not good with the sagem.

im thinking of getting one when the queue isnt too long. are they avalible to buy or just in testing. The newer rework one i mean

Stingray from www.dbox2.com told me about some very interesting news.

They have developed a new Version of their IDE Interface and this one now includes a external Power supply to the IDE Interface that enables you not only to power an Internal SATA (Yes SATA) HDD they even will enable a external Sata Connection too !

I have uploaded the Photos of their Dev Nokia Box to my Webspace but they will start PRoduction pretty soon and you will be able to order these.

Sata external will be Hot Plug so you can stick an external drive on or unplug whilst the DBox is running.

One of the Screenshots even shows an USB Connector but that is still in Development. They might even add a 100Mbit or DMA but no fixed plans for this as of yet !!!!

Bild1.jpg

Bild2.jpg

Bild6.jpg

Bild4.jpg

Back