Terror As Cruise Control Locks At 60mph

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
A motorist whose car's cruise control became stuck at 60mph sending him hurtling towards oncoming motorway traffic has said he was convinced he was going to die.

Chase Weir, 22, realised he was unable to slow down when he tried to leave the motorway as he headed out of Melbourne.

Careering along in his Ford Explorer, he tried to slam on the brakes, but they did not stop him.

He then tried to take the car out of gear but it would not budge - and when he tried to pull out the key it would not turn in the ignition.

He phoned Ford for advice but when nothing worked they asked to put him on hold.

"I didn't really want to be on hold at that point. I hung up and rang 000," said Mr Weir.

"The (police) operator told me 20 times to stay calm and that help was on the way.

"I was hysterical. I screamed at the lady on the phone 'I'm going to die'.

"I have never been so scared in all my life."

Officers told him to get into the left lane and sent cars to drive in front of him, clearing vehicles with their sirens.

The chaotic convoy then exited the freeway but the terrifying scenario got worse.

Traffic was backed-up along the road forcing Mr Weir to drive on the other side of the road and towards oncoming traffic.

He was racing towards a wall of cars when a frantic police radio operator ordered him to slam on the brakes.

"She told me to jump on the brake and pull the handbrake at the same time, which I did,'' a shaken Mr Weir said.

"I just shut my eyes. I could hear the tyres skidding on the road for what seemed like forever. I thought I was dead.

"When I opened my eyes, I was bonnet to bonnet with the car in front of me."

Ford Australia has told Australia's Herald Sun newspaper that there is no link between the recall of 4.5 million Explorers in October and Mr Weir's incident.

"uk-wales"

i would not liked to have been in that scenario?

I can understand the cruise locking on with an electrical fault, but the rest just seems bogus. The car locking in gear, manual or auto I've never known this to happen. The brakes not working, but then they did. But the best I've not yet seen a car that you cant turn the engine off with the key. I know some cars dont use a key anymore, like tha Saab, but when you turn the plasic dongle and take it out the car's engine stops.

I can see how to be in the situation would be a bit scary, I just dont see how it happened.

im wondering how he got on the phone with ford so easily while being terrified he was goin to die and what he expected them to do, then phoning the police...odd story

Hmm yes, reading it again does make it all seem a bit strange, especially the brakes bit you are right.

:)

I wonder if there is more to it, in fact I am going to google my arse off now. Let u know.

im wondering how he got on the phone with ford so easily while being terrified he was goin to die and what he expected them to do, then phoning the police...odd story

Think i'd have to agree with the Ford part. Who would phone Ford first if you were that scared??! You'd be phoning the emergency services and then they could get onto Ford if need be.

Maybe they was a bomb on the car and it couldn't drop below 50...hold on...didn't i see a film about this??! lol

This all started years ago in the USA when a woman could not stop her car on the Freeway,they even made a movie about it,it turned out there was nothing wrong with the car.The same thing happend here a few years ago when a man driving a Lorry,He got nicked for it but was found not guilty,but it turned out he had done it before.All they want is there 15 minutes of fame or money or both

Back