Telephone Scam Watch Out

ooooozzzing

Member +
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have been missing for about 3 weeks, on holiday, but now i,m back.

I have a freind who works for BT, an engineer, he has sent me this email, thought it was ideal for this part of the web site..

:Cheers:

Sent: 23 November 2004 23:26
To: [email protected]; laura; [email protected]; adrian
Subject: beware

To: *RCC Chester All Staff; *RCC Dundee All Staff; *RCC Dunfermline All Staff; *RCC Manchester All Staff; *RCC Motherwell All Staff; *RCC Warrington All Staff; *RCC:Belfast All Staff; *RCC:Leeds All Staff; *RCC:SHEF All Staff

Subject: URGENT COMMUNICATION:- TELEPHONE FRAUD
Importance: High

Telephone Fraud

We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation (this applies to home and/or work telephones - land lines and mobiles):

If you do receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone, you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location. You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes, costing around £100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key your postcode and house number (which has other serious consequences). After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The total bill will be £260.

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to press 9; even safer is to HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer' call. This appears to be a variation on a theme, warnings have been sent previously regarding calls made by individuals claiming to be engineers conducting a test on the line and asking for 9, 0# and text messages similar to the routine described above. DO NOT DIAL 9 (OR 9,0# OR 0,9#) FOR ANYONE! BT has been contacted and confirmed the details as being true.

There is another scam operating on Mobile Phones.
A Missed Call comes up. The number is 0709 020 3840. The last four numbers may vary but certainly the first four numbers will remain the same. If you call this number back, you will be charged £50 per minute. People have complained about their phone bills, once they have realised the cost of the call but apparently this is completely legal. So beware, do not call back numbers beginning with 0709

Very interesting eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:toiletcla

yes i've had them too, but always put the phone down!
On the same sort of subject, someone emailed me this the other day, dont know if anyone else has heard of this scam.....

Police Report.
The reason this is working so well is it plays on your good will!
Picture the scene:-
You are sitting at home and there is a knock at the door. On
answering it you are confronted by a respectable looking woman in a suit,
who is slightly distressed. She explains that her car has broken down
further down the road and she needs to contact her husband to come to her
aid. Is it at all possible to use your phone to call him?
You allow her to use the phone, but being the suspicious type you
stand with her as she makes the call. She dials the number, and asks to
be put through to Mr Smith / Brown / Stevens (Whatever). She holds the
line for about thirty seconds.
She continues, "In that case can you ask him to leave
the meeting for a minute I need to speak to him quite urgently."
She apologises again and explains they are getting him out of a
meeting.
A couple of minutes goes by and she starts to speak to her husband.
She explains the situation to him, tells him what has happened to
the car, is annoyed because she now can't get to her meeting, and asks
what she should do now. She listens for a few seconds and then says, "Well
as soon as the meeting finishes can you come to Cardiff Road / Leicester
Road / Surrey Street (Whatever), where the car has broken down. Another
few seconds go by,"OK, I'll see you in about twenty minutes then."

She puts the phone down, and thanks you ever so much for your kind assistance, even offering you a pound for your trouble, but ofcourse you decline, it's no trouble.
She leaves and everything is fine.
Or is it?
The day or week before knocking on your door she set up her own
premium rate line with a telephone company at the cost of about £150, and
she has dictated that calls to that number should be charged at £50 per
minute.
She has dialled that number. The conversation she has had with her
"husband" is entirely fictitious, there is a pre-recorded voice
message on the other end to give you the impression she is talking to
someone. She has been on the phone for about five minutes, that call
just cost you £250, the majority of which goes into her pocket, and the
first you know about it is when you get your bill a month later.
To rub a bit of salt into the wound,she hasn't even committed a
criminal offence. You've given her permission to use your phone. 5
occasions in Luton where this has been reported in the last couple of
weeks
Would anyone reading this please pass it on to friends and
colleagues
etc. otherwise it could cost someone a lot of money.

Now I dont know if this is true, but it does seem plausable. :(

Im a BT operator and i get a shit loads of calls from customers complaining abt telemarketing calls. The worse thing is people are getting phone calls at night, which is annoying.

Nicw 1 mindless m8, there are far to many of these YOU HAVE WON phone calls at the moment. They seem to be every other feckin phone call :(:( Don't they know i have never won anything in my life...and prob nerver will :)

Wiz said:
Nicw 1 mindless m8, there are far to many of these YOU HAVE WON phone calls at the moment. They seem to be every other feckin phone call :(:( Don't they know i have never won anything in my life...and prob nerver will :)

lolll...

those are probebly 1.50 quid/min ones....
those 20+ quid ones are myths....

i get a few of those txt's on my mobile, there fookin irratatin
most are like "You have won, call this blah"
i saw another too, said "someone is tryin to contact you blah, txt back"....and the txt's to the number you get charged for! (there premium txt numbers)

I got a recorded message the other day, it was just that the tone of the guys voice was really natural and it took me a few seconds to clock it was recorded, well when I tried to interrupt him rudely actually lol. More often than not you can tell theyre reading it all off a peice of paper. This guy sounded a bit fed up! :)
We get a lot of calls around where I live where they just say 'Hello' and hang up, registering a call ofcourse. It really does your head in when youve answered the phone for the 5th time on the trot :(

how the hell can pressing 9 on your phone connect you to a premium rate line?
IT CANT

I was lmfao at one that i had a few weeks ago, some wank*r that i know had my mobile number and decided to send me one of them sexy automated phone call ordering messages telling me that i had orderd a blow up doll ...lol, i accepted the charges and txt the number back to confirm my order......but sadly the item did not get sent out....

Now thats a scam....

and I didnt recieve my blow up doll FOC!!!

Ok as a field engineer for the well known telco operator I have wondered how this would work as you can not (AS FAR AS I KNOW) be able to change the routing of an incoming call once dialled. As system X and system Y have fail safe technology. If the incoming call has been completed the exchange would need to disconnect and then reconnect on a different number witch does not happen.

got one on xmas eve just cancalled call when i heard the press 9 bit

You can usually pick up these da***d computer generated calls by the tonality of the caller. One guy is dull and bored the other bright and breezy all promising riches beyond belief. Simple answer register with teh telephone preference service h**p://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ this will stop you getting these calls on your home phone number. If you do get a call you have the pleasure of reporting caller time and date and they could get a lovely £5k fine, shame its not split with you.
:)

But did You Check?

: grim : I have just spent a month rucking with o2 who deny they are part ot BT .

When You receive these alerts O2 charge YOU 12p + vat. : grim :

I have spoken to them at there main base the manager assurred me she would telephone me back,that she did but then informed me they could only be stopped via their website. I was unable to access my number + to add insult to injury they said number was not on the website. The texts kept coming until my credit ran out.

£10 gone in a few days I could not renew as it would just run out again they have refused to reimburse me the money but they know how many & when they were sent they are all the same O1 number 8020203.

So even if You dont reply your still being robbed if you pay monthly are these being used as free minutes good time too check. : grim :

Kniht said:
: grim : I have just spent a month rucking with o2 who deny they are part ot BT .

When You receive these alerts O2 charge YOU 12p + vat. : grim :

I have spoken to them at there main base the manager assurred me she would telephone me back,that she did but then informed me they could only be stopped via their website. I was unable to access my number + to add insult to injury they said number was not on the website. The texts kept coming until my credit ran out.

£10 gone in a few days I could not renew as it would just run out again they have refused to reimburse me the money but they know how many & when they were sent they are all the same O1 number 8020203.

So even if You dont reply your still being robbed if you pay monthly are these being used as free minutes good time too check. : grim :
Sorry only just seen this, my daughter (13 yrs) had all of her £10 credit taken from these messeges, I phoned o2 and went ballistic, they said they couldn't re emberse the money but advised us to text the word "STOP" (in high case) to the number the messege originated, this did stop it, I also took it further via their complaints dept and threatened to take legal action as my daughter was only 13, this seemed to scare the shit out of them and they gave her a total of £22.50 on the condition that she register her phone with them (£10 credit lost, £10 good will, £2.50 for regestring) worth a try if you haven't sorted it

Kniht said:

:

Just to clear one thing up for you m8, BT sold O2 approximately 2 years ago.... the 2 companies no longer have any connection with each other. BT has now launched BT mobile which is a completely seperate company.

Back