TechniSat PVR Upgrade Available From Today

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
Following the announcement that TechniSat would offer a PVR software update for their HDFS Freesat receiver, the software has been made available today.

This software update (version 1364 Patch 4) will allow you to change your Freesat HD receiver into a PVR recorder with the use of a USB memory stick or hard drive, the first to allow this on the Freesat platform.

The software should automatically update on your TechniSat HDFS receiver and there have been no known issues with the update as yet.

Instructions on the PVR functionality can be accessed in PDF here

So if you are interested in a single tuner PVR that records to a USB device at a fraction of the price of a Freesat+ receiver with in-built hard drive, this might be a good time to buy. See our price comparison page for the latest deals on this receiver.

Source

Some comments about this update from same source

# Dan M Says:
November 5th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Its great! I was testing it last night and it works perfectly (although i was only using a 2gb SD card). The unit successfully switched itself on and off to record what i had programmed (about 600mb for 30mins SD). The picture quality had not degraded when played back. HD was equally good, but takes up a lot of space 523mb for 10mins.

Good for me that i have a spare 500gb 2.5″ portable drive!

# Dan M Says:
November 5th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Just a follow up to my last post. The unit will play mkv files muxed to .TS (use tsmuxer or something similar). But the audio has to be MP2 audio, and not AC3. Converting the audio using avidemux and muxing the mkv to a ts took about 1 minute, and the file is playing perfectly on my technisat!

# Dan M Says:
November 5th, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Another follow up, the unit will also play H.264 mkvs as TS files with MP3 and AAC audio.

looks like other manufacturers are going to have to take note, or theyll all be left behind, including humax

Back