Switching over to Linux

Kommander

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys I've finally finished playing with my Spiderboxes (9000HD & SD5000's)
And I want to replace the 9000HD with a Linux box, giving that I know nothing about Linux other than it doesnt put you at the mercy of 1 single operator and his tribe I'll be looking for a nice easy to get running HD box with minimal running problems.
I was gonna get a TM800 last year but never did and now i've missed out on the discounts.
So what others are available and what should I be looking for in firmware and such. And what about the clones are they worth looking at, I saw a couple of good priced DM800's around 150ish but then also some the same model at around 600, I take it the expensive one is the real one.
If I were to say I wanna spend around £150 (is that too cheap?) for a decent box what should I be looking at? Also is ebay the right or wrong place to be looking.
Or should I just get a cheap 60 quid 500 clone to learn linux first?

Hi Kommander, I was giving out about the TM800HD a couple of weeks ago but since then it has come on in leaps. There was just a new image released for it today. Its fast becoming the best enigma 2 linux box in its price range. The other positive thing about it is digidude and colleagues make great plugins for it and I think as it grows there will be more and more support for it. My advice for what it is worth would be to stretch the extra few quid and jump in the deep end with this box. Technomate also offer after sales service thats second to none.

Thanks for that, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of responses but I suppose people are p'd off at the amount of times this question is asked.

Perhaps if I tell you all exactly what I want to do that will help.

I want to get a cline on an HD box in the living room and reshare that up to 2 boxes in the kids bedrooms so they can get Boomerang and Dave etc
The HD box in the Living room must also take my official card for when we go off in the caravan.

At present I have a Spriderbox 9000HD in the Living room and 2 Spiderbox 5000SD's in the bedrooms but that system is crap and doesnt work so I'll have to switch to linux boxes or at least 1.
I really would like some advice on the best way to do this instead of pumping money into stuff that fails all the time.
(I have threads open in the spidey forum trying to resolve the spiderbox issues, but to be honest i've given up on those boxes)

Hi Kommander, Get the TM 800HD that will read your white card no problem and you can take it with anywhere once you have a sat signal. For the kids either get 2 tm 500 or 2 dm500 clone from china. Setting all up is not that hard and the guys here will help you with anything you need. With regards to the cline are you going to use a pay server. What subs do you currently have with your own card.

Hi Kommander, Get the TM 800HD that will read your white card no problem and you can take it with anywhere once you have a sat signal. For the kids either get 2 tm 500 or 2 dm500 clone from china. Setting all up is not that hard and the guys here will help you with anything you need. With regards to the cline are you going to use a pay server. What subs do you currently have with your own card.

Not really a pay server but paying a member here, my subs are all bar sports, I took off sports to try and save money but the subs have increased so much now that it back to the same price as I was paying. yeah so World HD and 1x multiroom minus any Sports & 3d

I want to keep digibox for good epg and recordings

Last edited:
If the cline is a friend from here the you are fine with reshare, i forgot to mention you can run ccccam on spider box so you can always still use them and add the server details as given to you by your friend. But you will need other box to read your card.

your friend will set that up on his end and give you the reshare rights to his/her server, then its only a matter of setting it up at your end.

with ref to the reshare your best bet is to check with who you have the line from you would have no problem oh this with the spiderbox as spiderbox can only share the card in the reciever .
you would have a problem have you put the same line in all boxes and had them switched on at the same time as they would not connect
normal rule is one line per box you can have in two boxes but only one can be switched on at a time the other needs to be turned off or have ethernet disconected

Thanks Halfman that explains a lot, I'll have to get a Linux box as the main receiver get permission to do a reshare out to the bedroom boxes either that or get 3 lines. This looks like it will end up being more expensive than Sly's multiroom, but more fun.
How does a reshare work then on an incoming line to a linux box then out to the other 2, can that be done with a pay server and I guess there are extra costs involved?

cheers guys

Back