Surround Sound Setup

hnj

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently picked up a new amp (Pioneer VSX329) along with sub (Yamaha YSTFSW050)and 5 speakers (Pioneer SSL100). I have connected this up the amp to my TV and Sat box both via HDMI and was wondering if I can turn off the speakers and subwoofer to have sound coming normally from the TV speakers? I don't want to use sub and speakers for everyday use.

Also, I am guessing the amp always has to be on to even watch the sat reciever since visual is not sent without it on.

Thanks!

hnj

Hi,

Recently picked up a new amp (Pioneer VSX329) along with sub (Yamaha YSTFSW050)and 5 speakers (Pioneer SSL100). I have connected this up the amp to my TV and Sat box both via HDMI and was wondering if I can turn off the speakers and subwoofer to have sound coming normally from the TV speakers? I don't want to use sub and speakers for everyday use.

Also, I am guessing the amp always has to be on to even watch the sat reciever since visual is not sent without it on.

Thanks!

hnj

This is how it works on my set up. Turn the sound down on the TV and turn your amp on.Turn your amp off and just turn your tv set volume up.it works for me m8.Things only work if they are switched on.

The VSX329 should have "Pass Through" option, enable this and the amp will pass through whatever signal you want, no need to even have the amp on, you should be able to set this to whatever input you want ie: TV/DVD/Game

Some older amps default pass through to whatever the last input that was being used

I am afraid there is no HDMI Pass Through feature on the VSX-329 as it is Pioneers entry level receiver, Pass Through is available on the 424 and above models

Hi,

Thanks!

hnj

I've got to say I think miggys idea is the best option for you
I take it its a av amp if you plugged your bits in to it so you have to have the amp on to get anything to work im not to good with these sorts of thing I no my amp is newer but has it got a option for zone 2 so you can just till it what speakers you want to work at that time

I am afraid its a case of that option will not work either if the AV receiver does not have any type of HDMI pass through then the Amp has to be permanently switched on to view any items attached to it via HDMI

have a look at page 36 here:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
it clearly states HDMI Standby through on model 424-K only

I've got to say I think miggys idea is the best option for you
I take it its a av amp if you plugged your bits in to it so you have to have the amp on to get anything to work im not to good with these sorts of thing I no my amp is newer but has it got a option for zone 2 so you can just till it what speakers you want to work at that time

Cheers for the help guys, Mine is in fact the Pioneer VSX329-K.

Audio or Visual does not go onto the TV until the amp is on :(, how would I turn pass through on to allow for this? I guess it may be on the OSD? I haven't actually looked in the OSD yet.

Sorry just read digi's last post, such a shame this doesn't have standby pass through. Happy to leave amp on but is there a way of having sound come through TV instead of any of the surround sound pieces?

if when you have the Pioneer AMP switched on and the TV speakers are muted then you have to turn off the HDMI control setting feature in your TV menu dependant on which model of TV you have this will be called many different things, i have Samsungs at home and the Feature on them is called 'Anynet' as i say depends on the make of the TV

Back