surfboard help

Hope this helps?

Hi All,

Given the constant grief that my Ambit modem has been giving me recently I have given in and bought myself a sb4200. Hopefully it will arrive today :)

Anyways here is a guide to get the sb4200 working (With Non Locked Firware):

Change Firmware on Surfboard Modem - 1 PC Method
This guide is written in steps designed for printing – One step per page, (3 pages in all) – Also important reminders are in red, step headings are in blue. Good Luck……

Check you have the files shown in the pic below
17km.jpg

STEP 1
Load Netboot, If you are using windows XP or windows 2000 tick the AUTO IP box as shown below.

If you are not using either version of windows then you MUST set the IP to 192.168.100.10 yourself, Usually this can be done by loading control panel, clicking on network and then open the network adaptor connected to the modem. Just scroll down the list until you find TCP/IP and click on properties and input a manual IP (subnet mask = 255.255.255.0)

ALSO MAKE SURE THE OTHER TWO TICK BOXES ARE TICKED --- Do NOT Tick Always Run!!! --– As shown Below
[DLMURL]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/27/27wm.jpg[/DLMURL]
Make sure you type the location to the file " vxWorks.st" (its included with this guide) also make sure you select the correct network interface if you have more than one its the one that connects the computer to the modem. When your ready, Click on Boot over network. And wait for your modem to reboot.

STEP 2

open http://192.168.100.1/hack.html (shown below)
[DLMURL]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7499/30tz.jpg[/DLMURL]
Browse to your firmware, click on start update and wait - can take up to 5 mins....Your modem will reboot if succesful.

FINAL PART…... Change to the New MAC

Now all that is left is to find a new Mac and change it on the modem. To do this either go to another house (and so a different gateway) OR trade Mac’s with someone else. The Mac can be of any type as long as it is not a “unreg” Mac.

IF Sniffing from someone else’s house

Load DHCPFORCE

Click on start sniffing and wait.
[DLMURL]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6991/48vy.jpg[/DLMURL]
after a while a list of mac’s will appear, clicking on each mac will show which config file they have, any mac will work EXCEPT “unreg”

Now to change the MAC

Go back to step two......at the bottem of the page there is a box with your mac in there.....just type in your new one and click change. (reboot modem for changes to take afect)

Your Done! Reboot modem and make sure your ip is auto assigned! Job done. Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody marvelous!!!
I got a sb4***E (don't forget the E) and couldn't be botherd to learn how to do it until it came.
I was going to use my blackcat cos thats what i know.
You don't even need to unscrew the bugger!!
Talking of unscrew??
I think if you make a slip of the mouse and put the wrong thing in the wrong place(now who would do a thing like that),you can bring it back to life with a black cat or some other interface tcniso suggest.
I'll probably have to learn how to do it sooner or later.
thanks for that.
You done my searching for me.
Cheers

Cool

Glad you finally managed to get one name750 :xmas:

Thanks for verifying this for us g3o :Cheers: Can't believe it's so easy to do!!!!

yea blackcat can recover totally screwed modems, this is the easiest modem apart from an ambit to do, it really is that simple :)

edit

there's a chance the firmware on it hs netbooting disabled so if u dont get it to work then u will need a max 232 cable

Super cool

: shocked2 No wonder they cost so much lol. : shocked2

Sounds like they are worth EVERY penny though... :)

Now all we need is a step by step dummies guide for getting a 10mb config file, any offers? :xmas:

Wanyib said:
: shocked2 No wonder they cost so much lol. : shocked2

Sounds like they are worth EVERY penny though... :)

Now all we need is a step by step dummies guide for getting a 10mb config file, any offers? :xmas:

yes now that you have a proper modem with a proper firmware all you do is type the name of the 10MB file into the config file box and reset your modem.
Voila, that's as long as your tftp server has it of course

10mb

That's good to know, but please tell me more? Step by step guide maybe?

:xmas:

once you have sigma/hackware on the modem it will be blatantly obvious what you need to do, there's a box that allows you to specify your config file, put the name of the highest file in that box and if it's on your tftp server your modem will use that instead.

I'm gonna be soooooooo happy....

Thanks for the info! Looks like I won't be doing it today as my sb4200 hasn't arrived.......:CRYBABY:

Fingers crossed for tomorrow then. :xmas:

?????

madmanuk said:
will this sb4200 be ok for pure ntl lads
thanks

Which one would that be.....lol

If it has an I on the on the end and not an E then it will work in TW & NTL. The E models are for Euro Docsis (C&W).

:xmas:

so i need one with i on then is that at the end of sb4200i then mate also apart from ebay where can i get one from
thanks mate

You'll be ok in a pure ntl or tw with a sb without an i or with an e or with a i.
The 'e' modems (from what i;ve been told) will work anywhere,with a bit of messing.
But you got to have an 'e' in an ex cw area.
Now is tha as clear as day or what???
cos i'm confused now?????

M8 the I wont work on ex c/w no way not ever only way is if u use a tuner from and E and solder it on the I but then its gunna be like pointless u might as well use the e rofl anyways by the end of the month everyone on 3meg on ntl is gunna be 10meg so like now i dont even see the point in getting a sb my ambit is working like a dream like so by next month ill be on 10mbit for nowt anyways so it dont really matter and as soon as i am im gunna leech like a fecker :DD:D:D :Cheers: Name750 get a sb5100E m8 if anything the 4100/4200 are ok but like the only reason there dearer is coz people dont know how to plug a blackcat in like n00bz just want to click the and enter a conf and b00m whats 2 mins extra while u plug ur cable in? heh anyways i have gave up on the sb front i really cba with it.

b3nnyb0y said:
M8 the I wont work on ex c/w no way not ever only way is if u use a tuner from and E and solder it on the I but then its gunna be like pointless u might as well use the e rofl anyways by the end of the month everyone on 3meg on ntl is gunna be 10meg so like now i dont even see the point in getting a sb my ambit is working like a dream like so by next month ill be on 10mbit for nowt anyways so it dont really matter and as soon as i am im gunna leech like a fecker :DD:D:D :Cheers: Name750 get a sb5100E m8 if anything the 4100/4200 are ok but like the only reason there dearer is coz people dont know how to plug a blackcat in like n00bz just want to click the and enter a conf and b00m whats 2 mins extra while u plug ur cable in? heh anyways i have gave up on the sb front i really cba with it.

A LOT of peeps are going the surfboard way as there Ambits aren't playing as nice as yours is. Mine was being a right Ass.

Also unless your subbed and can take the firmware upgrade the 3mb are going to get kicked off permanently as N*L are stopping all the old firmwares from being able to get on. : shocked2

yes i have not seen many sb4200i and i searched all ebay get a few now and again i did not realize it was a rare modem to get your hands on

e e e e e e e e e e e e e e

Dont u just love e
lol
na seriously i must ask this question just to clarify things for others (in other words im not sure lol )
This all means that any surfboard with an E on the end would work on ALL AREAS (TW/NTL/C+W)
YES?
Cheers

rare?

bloodstone1964 said:
yes i have not seen many sb4200i and i searched all ebay get a few now and again i did not realize it was a rare modem to get your hands on

i have never even seen a 4200e
plenty plenty 4200's but no e's
as for 5101e's i have seen loads
and they work in a tw area (with original config only)

Back