Sunday Trading Laws

hackmax

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Why the f**k do we have these? We work all week giving us little time to do the basic shopping, and on the weekend we find our shopping hours restricted to six hours for Sunday.

I mean WHY ... I read one site claim it was for religious reasons ... but if that is the case are we not having somebody else’s beliefs forced on us? In this day and age, would you not think we respect everyone’s own personal opinions on this subject ... including those who choose not to believe in an all mighty god that dictates shopping hours.

Shoud 24hour shopping not mean that? At least let the shop owners like Tesco, Asda etc. decide themselves. Am I on my own in feeling annoyed that we work all week then have restricted time to do our retail therapy at the weekend, it would certainly help reduce the Saturday rush. What’s everybody else’s opinion?

Other than popping down to the newsagents for the papers and a pint of milk, I would never dream of shopping on a Sunday.

I hate shopping any other day either come to think of it.

Our nearest Asda is open 24/7

ASDA Store Locator

How come they can do it then and other ADSA's can't? The local 24-hour one to me shuts at 10pm saturday and only opens for 6 hours on a sunday. :(

EDIT: Oh I see, your in Scotland ... there laws are different. Why is England so behind the times???

Does seem a bit pointless in this day and age to be restricted based on religious roots. The big stores should just go 24/7 proper and swallow the fines they get for doing it. Perhaps if they showed the attendance figures whilst flouting the rules, it'd give them something to lobby with. I'd like to see the numbers/statistics of who opposes it. If it is Christianity plop of an excuse then how come they can do it in Scotland? ........ I thought Christianity in Scotland was far more rife than it is down here

Morrisons shuts a 8pm sunday.. normal hours lol... england is a touch diferent... but i wouldnt dream of shopping on weekday let alone a sunday... so no trouble for me :)

You have seen the Scottish flag havent you?

834864_159721_9977a7e62e_p.jpg

You have seen the Scottish flag havent you?

Just because the guy who touched your winkle on the night bus was wearing a skirt and had red hair doesn't prove he was Scottish you know.

I know, but its a damned good guess.

Speaking for small businesses I remember back in the early late 80's and early 90's when the Sunday trading were different, smaller businesses would benefit as they would be open on a Sunday and pick up a lot of trade as the larger stores were all not allowed to be open. Once Sunday trading came into effect it really hurt small businesses as customers would opt to drive to B&Q instead of walking to their local DIY store, people would drive to Tesco's to buy a newspaper and some milk thus taking trade away from smaller local shops.

I question the need to be open on Sunday at all and would personally like all large stores to be banned from opening for a day. It would be nice if people were forced to stay at home and spend some with their families instead of working or taking part in consumer culture on this day of peace.

We really could learn much from the French.

for somebody who works shifts in retail. sunday trading laws are a god send ;)

for somebody who works shifts in retail. sunday trading laws are a god send ;)

so i take it you dont work sundays? so many people forced to work.

once everyone is on 7 day rotation. fine till then. the law should stay. but should include extra payments for staff.

so i take it you dont work sundays? so many people forced to work.

once everyone is on 7 day rotation. fine till then. the law should stay. but should include extra payments for staff.

I do work sundays and get extra money for doing so, but if Mr sainsburys had his way the store would be open until 10 like every other damn day and i'd have to suffer even longer (not that i work on the shop floor) but the store closing earlier means the nightshift can start earlier which means i can go home :Clap:

Not getting much support from this am I lol

ffs you lot are useless! :FINGER:

The only shops that close early on a Sunday around here are furniture, travel Agents and the like. All Supermarlets are open 24 hours, with the exception of Morrisons which closes at around 7pm.

France is a diferent place.. for instance it is against the law to have an HGV on the road from 10PM Saturday till 10PM Sunday.. fridges dont apply.. would be interesting to adopt this concept.. everything should shut sundays apart from local shops..

I must admit ive been to asda at 3am before now.. ours shuts 10pm sat reopens at 10am sunday and shuts at 4pm.. then doesnt shut again till saturday the week after..

Speaking as someone who has lived there for many years and who is married to a Frenchie, I disagree and would suggest that it is them who could learn a thing or two from us, such as opening hours that are convenient for customers not shop owners, or customer service that does involve smiling at customers and saying thank you.

The only thing worse than shopping in France is having to watch their awful TV shows.... or listen to their stupid radio.

Saying that, I do miss going to French supermarkets as it's possible to buy proper ingredients so you can cook stuff yourself. They're not just full of TV dinners unlike Asda, Tesco, etc... And the bird that works in Carrefour in Montpellier who rushes between the tills on roller skates fetching items or checking prices is very sexy :Drool:

Speaking as someone who has lived there for many years and who is married to a Frenchie, I disagree and would suggest that it is them who could learn a thing or two from us, such as opening hours that are convenient for customers not shop owners, or customer service that does involve smiling at customers and saying thank you.

The only thing worse than shopping in France is having to watch their awful TV shows.... or listen to their stupid radio.

Saying that, I do miss going to French supermarkets as it's possible to buy proper ingredients so you can cook stuff yourself. They're not just full of TV dinners unlike Asda, Tesco, etc... And the bird that works in Carrefour in Montpellier who rushes between the tills on roller skates fetching items or checking prices is very sexy :Drool:

couldn't agree more. had a place, for a few years, over there. apart from my stuttering French. shopping was a delight.

Back