Streaming to PC

eltel1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a DM500 that I am trying to stream to a PC.

The stream appears to work a lot of the time but doesn't work consistently. Sometimes it comes up straight away and other times the VLC player just sits there doing nothing.

Is there a setting I can tweak within VLC to make the streaming more consistent? I am running the latest version (2.0.5) of VLC player.

Terry.

hi mate

can you give bit more info as to your setup

it should work fine

I haven't tried 2.0.5 but nothing over 1.0.5 was ever any good for streaming for me. Try an earlier version mate.

You login to your box via a webpage using your network number and then at the side of your boquet is a blue tv box. All i do is click it and save when prompted and the open the link in VLC and it gives the list of channels and you can flick between them. For me, HD channels dont work :(

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the slow reply.

I'm not all that familiar with how everything works and only discovered the web interface by accident so please bear with me. From the web interface I can see I have the following configuration;

ModelDM500
ManufacturerDream-Multimedia-TV
ProcessorSTBx25xx, 252MHz
Harddisknone
USB Sticknone
Linux KernelLinux version 2.6.9 (tux@tux) (gcc version 3.4.4) #1 Sat Dec 12 14:19:26 CET 2009
Firmwarerelease 4.7.0, 12.12.2009
FP Firmwaren/a
Web Interface6.0.4-Expert

What happens is that I click the VLC button in the web interface which downloads a file. The contents of the file contain something like the following http://192.168.162.10:31339/0,0fa3,138a,1772. I open the file in VLC and sometimes it plays and other times it doesn't and simply sits there.

Also when it does decide to to play it isn't smooth and the picture/sound is almost like it is when there is satellite interference - all choppy and jumpy for want of a better description.

I suppose it could be a network issue but I don't seem to have any other problems within the network that I'm aware of.

Terry.

Forgot to say, Charlie senator: tried version 1.0.5 and the same thing happens :( Thanks anyway.

Something I have just noticed in the Enigma web interface is that the BER seems to fluctuate between 0 and 80 - averaging around 50 but going as high one time as 350. The TV seems to echo this so am I right in assuming the BER I am looking at is the BER of the satellite signal and not a streaming error rate?

hi there,

is possible you can direct me to any tuturials on how to stream to your PC?

Hi,

Theoretically (as I understand it) it isn't difficult. You simply;
> open a web browser
> navigate to the address of your dream box, e.g. http://192.168.2.10
> login if requested
> choose a channel
> click the VLC button and download a file
>open that file in VLC player

It's mentioned above to use a version of VLC player prior to 1.0.5 but I tried a few even older and still had problems - sometimes it opens and is choppy but most of the time it doesn't even open.

Good luck, I hope you can get it to work. I'm still battling but haven't had too much time to throw at it. I did hear that the issue might have to do with the processor speed in the DB but do not know how accurate this info is. I am due to get a more powerful box within the next few weeks and will see how it goes on that!

Thank eltel1,

Your intstructions were spot on, I have managed to get all SD channels to work :)
for some reason HD channel do not work on my DM800HD.

Let me know how you get on with your new box

thanks again

I too have this working, you don't need to open the downloaded file you can use the Dreambox WebViewer too, either way works. Viewing HD channels cuts out, plays for 2 mins perfectly and then randomly cuts out, too add this is over wireless.

My Thoughts are,
1) might have to use cable to sort it, wireless may be the problem
2) might need to take a VLC masterclass to fine tune each and every setting for Streaming lol

Glad it worked for you. I've ordered a 800HD SE so will let you know.

Omegageneralm, I tried it this way using the Web-X-TV link. It opens a new window but still doesn't show anything....just sits there till Chrome says the page has become unresponsive...
grayno.gif
I am using cable and not wireless BTW.

Sorry for the late reply, weird im using chrome too with no issues, you have VLC player installed? I assume it uses part of VLC player in some way through your browser.

Maybe try a different browser, IE would most likely be your best bet. Just wish i could get mine too play HD without stopping every 2 minutes

I use the Tunisia sat (i think) app to stream my dm500s SD channels to pc. Not sure if theres a newer app out . I will be getting a new HD box soon will post how I get on streaming HD, cheers

I am looking for a way to stream from my NAS via DM800HDPVR to the TV. any idea? movies are in AVI

you need the plugin for your DM called gstreamer

also ensure the rights on your windows movie folder is set to RW

best one to use is google chrome now as it is build for HTML5

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Tunisia sat (i think) app to stream my dm500s SD channels to pc. Not sure if theres a newer app out . I will be getting a new HD box soon will post how I get on streaming HD, cheers

Merged your four posts into one. .:)

Back