Streaming avi,divx movies to Dreambox

Thanks Hatab,
So is it 100% correct now? No pixellation? I've edited the 1st post as per your recommendation!

I'm going to have a play tonight & see what I come up with!

Last edited:
Tried the fps=25 setting on two avi files but both .ts files when played switch off the picture to the TV, though the sound is OK. I can stop the playback and even navigate blindly to the TV mode but the only way I can get the picture back is by rebooting the box.

One file switches off the picture immediately, the other after about 2 secs.

The two .ts files play OK on the PC.

My God grim that is grim (sorry, couldn't resisit that bad joke)! What box are you using?
Try changing the script "transcode{vcodec=mp2v,acodec=mp2a,fps=25}"

Playing back anything on the Dreambox was crashing the NEW tuner driver. Switching to OLD played it but the picture was in bottom half of screen plus there was no TV.

Switched to ALT driver and now all OK.

Minor irritation is that the avi converted to ts plays 4:3 when it's 16:9 (.ts plays as 16:9 on PC) using vlc.

Thanks grimoo for reporting back here - builds the knowledge base! - did you ever say what image you are using?

What is the ALT driver?

There is a way to play back as 16:9 but I'm no VLC expert - have a look at the VLC forum & if you get the answer can you post it here?

Up to today I was on DW1.6.5 and it has three tuner drivers, New, Old and Alt. I noticed DB created stuff won't play in Vlc (incompatible file).

Today I installed DW2.0 and now I can play recorded stuff (both Dreambox created and Vlc created) using the New tuner driver. Dreambox created stuff breaks up now and again but it works. Vlc can now also play DB .ts files! What's changed?

The vlc converted stuff (ie the .ts file) is still 4:3 on the DB but it plays 16:9 on the PC so is it vlc thats the problem? Hard to say as DB created stuff plays OK in 16:9.

I think I have something that is workable now but as we come to expect with the DB and these extra "features" over and above standard TV watching, the carrot is dangled but all too often one is often left disappointed. But I still love my DB!

Hey grim00,
That is strange with DW1.6.5! No better place to get an answer to this issue than here, the home of DW.

As I said about 16:9 in VLC
There is a way to play back as 16:9 but I'm no VLC expert - have a look at the VLC forum & if you get the answer can you post it here?

So I guess we are pushing the box beyond it's intended use & a bit of work on aour part is needed!

It worked for me - thanks a million, been trying to get streaming to work for so so long now!!

Sorry to harp back to 360 but the 4:3 16:9 seemed to be an issue with that to and 2 different .bat files were made to solve this both are included in my earlier post.

This is the 16:9 file contents:
"c:\vlc\vlc" -vvv %1 --sout-ffmpeg-qscale 1 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,width=640,height=360,acodec=wma,ab=96,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=asf,dst=%1-hq-169.wmv}}

Note the width & height settings

I would try adding these settings to original and experiement for best results
eg:
"%ProgramFiles%\VideoLan\VLC\vlc" -vvv %1 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,width=640,height=360,vb=3072,scale=1,acode c=mp2a,ab=192,fps=25,channels=2}duplicate{dst =std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="C:\db\hdd\movie\%~n1. ts"}}
Change C:\db\hdd\movies to your mount folder

I cannot confirm this will work for DB, but did solve on 360

Last edited:
Thanks for this, it works a treat. I also had to change to ALT driver and edited the settings as Hejira suggested, im using DW 1.65, to lazy to reflash to the new one :)

This is really great news because I have been transcoding and burning to disc with no end of lip sync and burn problems, so this will save me time and money :)

Frenchman

Hey Frenchman,
Thanks for the appreciation - glad it works for you & it's saving you time & money.

Did you get the widescreen settings to work? - I tried above edit but didn't work for me!

Hey Frenchman,
Thanks for the appreciation - glad it works for you & it's saving you time & money.
Did you get the widescreen settings to work? - I tried above edit but didn't work for me!

Hi Dweeb,

Yes the wide screen is working, at first it didn't, it was halfway down the screen, but after changing to the ALT tuner it is fine, which seems odd to me!

Frenchman

The Height and Width numbers can be changed, it maybe the DB dosen't like the resolution, try your own settings.

I guess the native res that DB uses to display the ts stream would be the first I would try.

Yes, Hejira, I've tried other W & H settings for both 16:9 & 16:10 ratio but only get sound on the DB when I play file!
What is the native res used by DB - do you know?

This is from the stream info:

SS1 704x576 4:3
SS2 704x576 16:9
BBC1 720x576 16:9

I'm not sure what to make of this but I would try 720x576 and the 720x405

Thanks Hejira,
Works perfectly with width=720,height=576 for widescreen 16:9. Will try 704, 576 to see any difference

Thanks Hejira,
Works perfectly with width=720,height=576 for widescreen 16:9. Will try 704, 576 to see any difference

No probs, glad it's sorted, with the VLC method it seems to be finding the sweet spot!

720 x 576 is a standard TV Res so will probably be best streaming to DB.

made a bat file and drag movie onto it and vlc opens , no errors but do l have to install any settings in vlc for this to work , ip of box ? cheers , if yes how and where lol

No mate, there's nothing else to set up. This method isn't really streaming. It's just a way of transcoding to a dreambox compatible .ts mpeg2 file. Much as you do with your 'Ultra Video Converter'. You play the resulting file from a mounted share (or transfered to the hard drive of the dreambox).

No mate, there's nothing else to set up. This method isn't really streaming. It's just a way of transcoding to a dreambox compatible .ts mpeg2 file. Much as you do with your 'Ultra Video Converter'. You play the resulting file from a mounted share (or transfered to the hard drive of the dreambox).

ok , does the file lm coverting have to be in the shared folder l have mounted , does it covert to the same place , ie c:/shared to c:/share ?

lm sure when l convert with ultra it sometimes stops . say lm converting and wait say till 10% has converted and start to watch the film its has if the dreambox as remembered it was only 10% converted when l started to watch the film and pauses . so l restart the film and quickly forward to the point l was watching and its fine ? dont do this often only if the kids dont want to wait for the film to fully convert

Last edited:
Back