Linux Strange Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this over at the QNAP community forums, but posting anything there is like trying to get blood out of a stone, and the company themselves are off because it's chinese new year

I'm posting here as the NAS devices are essentially debian based and wondered if someone knows more than I do:

I have a replication job on NAS A (QNAP TS-412) which copies all my data over to NAS B (buffalo Live Station)

The job copies over several folders, each with sub folders, they are created/copied with the "User Group/root" and "User/root" permissions

4 of the 5 folders can be accessed with no issues from a Windows 7/Linux/Mac workstation, however the 5th can at it's root but not the folders below and has exactly the same permissions. I've tried creating the folders before the copy, but as soon as it completes it denies me access, I've tried changing permissions on the root for everyone access but it seemingly does not want me to access it.

If i try to copy it to a PC, it says I need permission for unix user/root to make changes. If I try to access it, it just gives me the standard windows...you do not have permission to access...

I'm kind of stumped and it's beginning to pi$$ me off because I need to flash my QNAP due to some necessary firmware upgrades (goes into a reboot loop)

did you use the chown command to change permissions on the folder you get access denied

I didn't but the response I got from QNAP pretty much said they don't know, which was really helpful. But bigger issue at the moment in that I have 8TB of disks that are utterly useless in the device because of compatibility issues.

It isn't a mapped drive. I'm just accessing the NAS remotely via explorer. It doesn't matter where it's done from it's the same (even on an Android tablet).

The issue isn't windows related, it's NAS>NAS.

I gave up with it to be fair and I'm now using RTRR, which comes with it's own issues as again there are some NAS permission problems from the QNAP.

It's pretty much a QNAP issue and they way they handle RSYNC and RTRR, but they are pretty crap with support and moving things forwards (as an example their forums is full of people complaining about kernal issues, which they have been promising updates for, for almost 2 years) -Which makes me wonder why i bought one.

Hi I'm new,
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
this should patch the problem (allowing you to access your files) but be warned it's like stopping a boat from sinking using duct-tape

Hi I'm new,
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
this should patch the problem (allowing you to access your files) but be warned it's like stopping a boat from sinking using duct-tape

Thanks loui, this was some time ago now and I've since had a few FW updates and changed my backup mechanism. Thanks though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back