storage heaters not working

doom11

Member ++
Reaction score
hi i have checked all my storage heaters using the domestic supply.all heaters work fine.
however when they are ment to come on overnight and charge up.nothing happens.
who should i contact?would it be the electric supply company because all heaters are working as far as i can see its a fault with the supply
thanks for any responce. :)

i have a digital meter with rate 1 and rate 2.the only time clock i have is for heating the water and thats in the kitchen :)

proably the rate 2 is the night units and are the ones used to store the heat in the heaters, is there not a seperate circuit on your mains fuse box for the heaters on rate 2?

You will find your meter will switch at different times of the day to turn the storage heaters on, what it does it sets a realy that allows current to pass to your storage heaters, as well as selecting a different counter for the units consumed.

Best to contact your local electricity provider for asistance

first of all how have you tryed them on the domestic supply?

Hi Digi,
i tried them by re flexing them up and pluging into the ringmain.
i contacted the local council and they say its to do with a weather switch that controls the power to the heaters on a night and it gets increased as the outside temp gets colder.
anyone heard of this before...

There is a system called a proscon system that is usually a sensor on the end of a block of two level flats that turns ON the heating when it is cold the complete opposite to what they say they do. The only other thing is that they arent turning on due to the warm weather. This is easily tested by turning the input stat up on the s/heaters and listening for it to click.
Another explanation may be that when the credit card type meter that you are refering to was fitted it wasnt connected correctly for both normal and e7 tariff. You should see a black box connected with a smaller size wire feeding it from the meter if it is correctly connected.

Good luck :)
DIGI

Back