Starview cable Receiver Review

elite786

Inactive User
Reaction score
somewhere with my tool set, looking for Action ;)
Hello everyone, it’s that time of year AGAIN! Another review of the Starview cable receiver as promised. all pics are included in the Rar file sorry for bad quality I still haven’t got a digicam lol!

The box makers are new to the market and this is there first attempt at the market, I hadn’t heard of them until a member on DW posted a link. after making a few calls I was able to track down the distributor and get an 'evaluation box'

First impressions are 'dream box in silver' slightly wider than the dream box and only 15cm in depth! i culdnt take pictures to compare as my dream boxes where already packaged up ready for shipping as I am selling them.

Features the usual 2 scarts, audio out, coax digital out, cable in/out on the back.

Cosmetically the front layout is nice, it’s simple! So far so good The box I got was already loaded with the appropriate software so all I had to do was plug n play. Box was already tuned in to! Looking through the menu it looks very simple! No more entering 6887s or 6952s just pick your provider, NTHell or TelePEst and of you go.

The menu layout is similar to that of the replay and Euromax, I think the menu could be organised better. The box is very responsive as soon as u press a button its reacts immediately.

One thing I noticed was the clarity and sharpness in the picture! I wasn’t able to take comparison pictures because of my camera phone.

The menus are laid out in good order and it’s easy to find what you’re looking for. I have been told there is a feature to enter keys manually and also download the keys and the channel listings file to your PC with the software.

I didn’t get much of a chance to play around with the software provided you can get a copy from here. I’ve not had very long to play with the box but I’m very impressed the EPG actually works on all channels I’m in NTHELL and this is where the Euromax struggles a bit unfortunaetly none the less a strong box in itself.

Overall the starview is decent box. I was told I couldn’t open the box to see what tuner or video/processor chips it was using unfortunately. Ill have to wait til a mate gets one and perform open surgery lol! the starview is a good box, if the euromax had the same EPG it would then be a question of taste.

*****i would like to also mention the people importing the starviews are new and no1 knows what support will be like. with the euromax the importers are reknown for outstanding customer service and they have also bought us the replaybox and now the replay lites(review soon to follow)! *****

That’s all for now guys, if there’s anything anyone would like to add OR correct please do so.

Elite786

Last edited:
Manual Key Entry

Go into menu and parental lock
Press "info", 2004 and OK

Turn emulation on for it to roll keys, off to disable it. Under NagraVision you can enter the keys for your provider.

unreliable1 said:
Can a starview box take a hard drive ?

Cheers

hi mate, it cant its not a PVR receiver the best for hard drive is the 'Replay Box'!

a few people seem to have a mixed reactions about it personally i use love mines when i had it before some lucky bugger on DW bought it, mainly areas with weak signal or areas with old cable lines have freezing picture.

if u want a stanard box then starview and eurovox max. but if u want to record, edit and all that then replaybox its the best!

Elite786

The starview box mate, does it have a "true 16:9 widescreen option", I.E - does it come up in the onscreen menu "16:9" ??

Also, I have the eurovox2 just now, it works perfect apart from epg which i dont mind, does this mean that the replay box would work fine for me in theory you think ?

thomson said:
The starview box mate, does it have a "true 16:9 widescreen option", I.E - does it come up in the onscreen menu "16:9" ??

Also, I have the eurovox2 just now, it works perfect apart from epg which i dont mind, does this mean that the replay box would work fine for me in theory you think ?

it does have the 16:9 option in the menu user settings, the replay is a a better box than both even without using it with a hard drive.
my choice is:

Dreambox as NO.1
Replaybox as NO.2
Euromax/Starview as NO.3

hope that helps mate

elite786

Last edited:
elite786 said:
it does have the 16:9 option in the menu user settings, the replay is a a better box than both even without using it with a hard drive.
my choice is:

Dreambox as NO.1
Replaybox as NO.2
Euromax/Starview as NO.3

hope that helps mate, all boxs have the widescreen feature.

elite786
is dreambox not a golden oldie though ???
My eurovox2 is brilliant apart from no epg and the lack of proper 16:9 option.
i asked the suppliers of euromax and they said that the euromax doesnt have the 16:9 option in onscreen display menu, so you sure about that mate ?

thomson said:
is dreambox not a golden oldie though ???
My eurovox2 is brilliant apart from no epg and the lack of proper 16:9 option.
i asked the suppliers of euromax and they said that the euromax doesnt have the 16:9 option in onscreen display menu, so you sure about that mate ?

hi mate, i dont have a euromax to doubl;e check i was told it supports the 16:9 widescreen option. maybe someone with a euromax can confirm this?

thanks mate.

p.s. the dbox is an olden goldie, the dream is the newer faster version and 1/4 of the size too!

elite786 said:
hi mate, i dont have a euromax to doubl;e check i was told it supports the 16:9 widescreen option. maybe someone with a euromax can confirm this?

thanks mate.

p.s. the dbox is an olden goldie, the dream is the newer faster version and 1/4 of the size too!
is the dreambox available brand new ?

I switched from EuroVox 2 to Dreambox, there is no comparison. Dreambox is amazing. EPG is perfect, picture quality is 100% better, true 16:9 widescreen, plenty of support, available brand new AND the box is tiiiiiiiiny!

akki007 said:
I switched from EuroVox 2 to Dreambox, there is no comparison. Dreambox is amazing. EPG is perfect, picture quality is 100% better, true 16:9 widescreen, plenty of support, available brand new AND the box is tiiiiiiiiny!

so did i! excellent box, full of features, everyone giving it 10/10, full epg, dbox gui, plenty of support. guess what i couldnt use mines! lol, sorry just bit pi$$ed off. i bought 2 and moved houses onyl to find no cable in my area!

ive seen the dreambox working it cant be beaten for speed, features, epg! its a reincarnation of the dbox2 but 10x better and faster!

elite786

whats the best and newest model of dreambox ??? and are they just as easy to apply the software onto as the eurovox ?

Edit > can someone take a few snaps of the screens/menus etc for the dreambox to i see what like it looks, also please include a snap of the 16:9 option in menu, thanks guys.

Last edited:
thomson said:
whats the best and newest model of dreambox ??? and are they just as easy to apply the software onto as the eurovox ?

Edit > can someone take a few snaps of the screens/menus etc for the dreambox to i see what like it looks, also please include a snap of the 16:9 option in menu, thanks guys.

your best to request the info in the dreambox section where the lads will be more than happy to help u out.

elite786

Back