Hardware SSD Hard drive Question

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 128 SSD hard drive and I changed some setting defrag and stuff like that how do I put thing back to normal, is there a reset option anywhere or is it a matter of going through them all (long winded)

In Windows I only know of one setting; Disk Defragmenter Schedule.

Because there is no seek time, there is no lag from files being fragmented. So you don't need to defrag SSDs. In fact defragging can unnecessarily shorten the life span of any flash memory, including SSDs.

Unless we're talking about TRIM too? Unless you've performance issues, that one is worth leaving turned on.

In Windows I only know of one setting; Disk Defragmenter Schedule.

Because there is no seek time, there is no lag from files being fragmented. So you don't need to defrag SSDs. In fact defragging can unnecessarily shorten the life span of any flash memory, including SSDs.

Unless we're talking about TRIM too? Unless you've performance issues, that one is worth leaving turned on.

Here is the post I followed but can't remember which I did LOOK HERE is there a quick way to set everything back to normal I will I have to check them all :).

Ah, right.

The quick way would be System Restore, but the guide tells you to turn it off. I forget if turning it off also deletes the restore points.

If it does you'll have to go through them all :( Probably best to do it in reverse order.

Can I ask why you want to do so, has one of the settings caused an issue?

Over the last Month boot up time seems to be taking longer, it use to be a lot quicker but once its up and running its fast, I was just going to reset things and start again, its like something is running in background but check virus scanner and bit defender they look fine.

With the exception of TRIM, there shouldn't be a performance drop off for any of the tweeks. When did you last reinstall?

indeed, there shouldn't be any drop off unless your drive is nearly full. My guess is more like your system has got junk or malware.

I have 89.3gb free just tried that trim its turned on.

its comes up with DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

I have 89.3gb free just tried that trim its turned on.

its comes up with DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

If you have Win7 and installed on that on the SSD (rather then copy a working Win7 install) then TRIM should automatically have been switch on if your SSD supports it.

If you have Win7 and installed on that on the SSD (rather then copy a working Win7 install) then TRIM should automatically have been switch on if your SSD supports it.

my copy of windows 7 is legal from there disk, I lost my main hard drive a while back so lost my recovery partition would love to learn how to make a new recovery partition if possible.

Back