Spiderbox HD9000 1st thoughts *review*

rp3X

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well with the TM800 being delayed I just went for Spiderbox HD9000.

Build quality:
1st thoughts on the box is its a ok build, tad plasticy on the front panel and ive noticed paintwork isnt that great but its ok. My older TM5400 build quality and paint was better. The unit gets hot also on the top, and theres no fan but seems it should be ok.

OSD:
With latest patch all is smooth and fast, menus are instant and fast, and text is large and bold the colour scheme is good also with a black/orange theme so text/options are clear and vibrant. I do still feel my TM5400 menus/system was nicer but the spiderbox hd is faster in scrolling.

Remote control:
Is also feature packed and good build quality, its nicely layed out also again my tm5400 has bigger buttons and similar cursor system which make life bit easier especially buttons u may repeat press, but the spiderbox remote is also able to control my TV and offer more features making it handy.

Features wise:
usb, ethernet and 1.1 hdmi port and 2 scarts/loop thru, component, obviously its a top end box crammed with features/options that my TM5400 cant compare too.

Picture quality:
Is excellent since its an hd box, I can tell you with the hdmi connection even SD channels look clearer/sharper on my 720p 26inch lcd. HD channels are night and day difference even looking at bbc hd, you simply dont wanna go back sd but have to its a shame everything cant be hd!

a+ gift:

Well just activated it its good for a year from now, ive loaded a popular favs/channel list from one of the users and its good so far, just random channel flicking most channels are still saying scrambeled but alot are golden :)

Im gonna play with it more since im still finding most channels scrambeled/dollar signed and not accessable although many are.

Might try looking for a channel list that just shows just gift channels....

The other route I would have prefered too take is get the TM800 and a decent cs that way I simply get all entertainment, but alas they delayed it! I feel maybe this might have been a better route to take but im still playing with my new toy yet.

Overall its a nice box worth £200 ? im not sure till ive played around with it more ! I had poor support from the al**t store though, I could write a whole essay about it ! but id advise you buy a travel adaptor 1st, and before parting cash ask a member of staff to show u the gift keys active. Regardless I did get my 1st box exchanged without hassle for another box and that worked out ok, but you can save time/money/headache if u follow my tips above !

Which gift Channels do you get???? would be nice to find out as may get one off these boxs to play with i belive the box can only act as a client and not a server which will do as will use my eagle as a server to send c line to the spider. look forward to your next post when you have had a good play

they only work as client.
i purchased unit without gift but i believe the gift is european channels eg 3pm football .
the channels are mentioned in the forums.
B.T.W i received adaptor with my box and set it up pretty easy as i read the tutorials on the site

Does anyone know if the Spiderbox is a re-badged M-Vision HD300? Its just that there are glaring similarities between the two and the channel editor is one of the most obvious ones. If anybody could confirm this it would be appreciated.

Regards

Liam

Which gift Channels do you get???? would be nice to find out as may get one off these boxs to play with i belive the box can only act as a client and not a server which will do as will use my eagle as a server to send c line to the spider. look forward to your next post when you have had a good play

PM sent :)

Does anyone know if the Spiderbox is a re-badged M-Vision HD300? Its just that there are glaring similarities between the two and the channel editor is one of the most obvious ones. If anybody could confirm this it would be appreciated.

Regards

Liam

1st time ive heard of that box but looking at the specs/box picture up close it does look very similar to the spiderbox, even the buttons are exactly in the same order/layout, also there priced 199.99 !

Regards

Liam

:eek:

darkman wouldnt rebadge something that already exists and sell it off as his own creation would he??!!??

im truely shocked by these allegations, i think i need a lie down

Been playing around with it more and no freezing from the gift+ patch channels, the channels are good and worth it you get plenty of entertainment in all categories but I still feel its better if you can get a a decent cs either privately/decent paid one.

Ive got a test cline from one of those cs websites and sadly get freezing every 10-20 secs so the latest spiderbox hd9000 patch is not working so good ! but it maybe some settings/tweeking so will get back to you on how that goes.

But so far if i can get the above sorted, Spiderbox is looking nice indeed :)

Been playing around with it more and no freezing from the gift+ patch channels, the channels are good and worth it you get plenty of entertainment in all categories but I still feel its better if you can get a a decent cs either privately/decent paid one.

Ive got a test cline from one of those cs websites and sadly get freezing every 10-20 secs so the latest spiderbox hd9000 patch is not working so good ! but it maybe some settings/tweeking so will get back to you on how that goes.

But so far if i can get the above sorted, Spiderbox is looking nice indeed :)

I imagine its the server and not your box, drop me a pm if you need pointing in the right direction.

Yeah possible could be the server although he does say others are running fine on it atm.

Im reading the forums (on the dark side!) and yeah many complaints about freezing on the spiderbox with ccam am hoping its solvable, theres alot of tips/tweeks too try out.
Irony is alot of folk stuck there eagle linux box back in and it works fine... sorta indicating the issues with the spiderbox!

One person suggested the server side has too make a small adjustment too the server for spiderbox users!? Bit of a odd one that....

I will give it a go, I only just found out I can load a softcam patch too enable more entertainment along with my gifta+ ! doh

Last edited:
nice to get an unbiased review of the box .
i think a big test will be a big saturday footie game with everyone trying to watch this normally puts pressure on any server.
i think there is some truth in the server has to be tweaked for spiderbox as some server owners are doing servers for spiderbox only to try and stop some of the problems .
if you need a pointer to the forum i use send us a pm as there are some server owners on there that have them for spiderbox and you have to let them know this when you have your free test so you are connected to the right one.
hope youre having fun playing with your new toy

Tried another cs server this ones running on ccam 2.09, and well it appears too have fixed the problem altogether. So it does seem one has too go for a server with "spiderbox" support or 2.09 ccam, another chap tried it with CCcam 2.1.1 and was fine also, theres few spiderbox friendly servers knocking about ive seen too but it maybe a good idea too research/ask 1st !

Im fine tuning my downloads max speeds guess I can no longer let newsgroups/torrents max out the bandwith anymore gotta leave some bandwith for upload/downloads :)

HD Quality is awesome....

have you tried it with very latest Cccam..2.1.4 i think it is ?...any glitching, freezing etc...specially at peak times.....thats the best test for the box and the the server?......this was one of the box i was thinking of getting along with the tm800hd and the dm500hd..

well i have been running a few days now and the glitching is putting me of.
I am hosting card which runs perfect as i am on 2.09 cccam on dream server and tested in couple of houses and runs perfect but i have share and it glitches after 10 mins every 20 secs or so.
I have read all info and actually tried all options with share lines before putting my server down to 2.09.
I am setting up 500s today but expect to run perfect.
T.B.H unless they get this sorted i wouldnt recommend buying the Spiderbox unless you are going to run server (cccam 2.09)with a few mates to keep sub price down.
But if you have got motorised dish this isnt the box at the minute
Its a pity as all other aspects of box are stunning but i am getting flashbacks of my £170 replay box i bought that never quite worked.
think i am going to hold back for tm hd box for friends

Last edited:
few more further thoughts just too add, spiderbox is quite nice but yeah im still getting tad glitching and freezing and its hard too pin point the exact cause.

Theres definatly many things too try out too resolve it but it does seem an awful lot of trouble too get a cs glitch/freeze free, it could be the server but ive tried 2 test servers now and still not quite 100%, maybe every 5-10 minutes I get the odd glitch or blank screen scrambeled message which isnt too good considering Im not even downloading any files on torrent/newsgroup as before so the spiderbox has full bandwith and 1.5meg upload and 14meg download ;)

As I mention before it could be something wrong my end or the cs server, but its almost mirroring quite a few fellas thoughts that when they stuck there eagle box back in everything was fine.....

I may try a paid test server one of those 24hr ones and see how it goes next.

Ok bit of an update ive tried 3 servers alone this week.

Where all 3 have no issues with freezing/glitching with other users sharing from themselves, however as you know I had nothing but sever freezing on one but people with Dreamboxes/eagles seemed too be fine but not my spiderbox, the 2nd server which was more spiderbox friendly was almost good but intermitantly could freeze/glitch with blank screen/scrambeled error this was ever 5-10-20 mins sometimes worser sometimes better !

Anyhow tried a 3rd spiderbox friendly server and bingo it works as intended !

Not seen one freeze/glitch for past few hours :)
And this is with the gift/softcam/Ucas both all of them enabeled ! Edit its just freezed but very little ! its proberly as good as its gonna get being 99% perfect :)

So just goes too show you find the right server or right box to go with that server you can really enjoy your toy.

Last edited:
without having to pay additional server fees, whats the gift like?

on a saturday at about 15:05 you see posts appearing, then vanishing, from people complaining about the breakups, lack of picture, crashing, etc

if you have to pay for another server to be able to get a decent picture, and find a server thats spiderbox friendly, wouldnt it be easier to get a dreambox or one of its clones?

without having to pay additional server fees, whats the gift like?

on a saturday at about 15:05 you see posts appearing, then vanishing, from people complaining about the breakups, lack of picture, crashing, etc

if you have to pay for another server to be able to get a decent picture, and find a server thats spiderbox friendly, wouldnt it be easier to get a dreambox or one of its clones?

Well generaly from what ive checked on the gift packages they seem to be running well, but a few do freeze/glitch every now and then.

But yeah best time is say a footy game like on saturday, although im not sure what channel to check that on? Im not much of a footy fan but dont mind testing lol

Regarding the Spiderbox its an excellent box but yeah thats another one of my points, if I had stuck an eagle box/dreambox in id get better ccam/stability on servers which is the main thing your gonna wanna do with any box regardless. Having said that the spiderbox if you do the homework well and get a decent cs server thats spiderbox friendly you can avoid most hassle as ive said if TM800 was out I might have gone down that route ;)

Still might lol

Back