speed of ram ?????

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
see this ram here >>>

DRAM Slot #2 1 GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

please correct me if iam wrong, but the "667" part means the ram mhz speed, dont it ??

and if so, in windows boot screen it should report the 667mhz ?? if so then my mates pc is reporting 533 which i would imagine is wrong.

can someone confirm please.

lol, cheers mate, that makes it all the difficult as that program reports my ram as 400mhz when mines is 800mhz, lol, i guess it means 2 x 400mhz as mines is dual ram or summit, not sure though.

there again it cant mean that as mines would report as been 1600 then, hehehe 4 x 400, fook it, as i says to my mate, safest and most reliable way to tell is in the post boot screens when your starting the pc, if it says the correct thing there (which it should do), then its defo correct, as for the other testing programs iam very wary of them at times like this

Yeah i agree i tried to put 3gb ram and it wasnt loading xp but it was showing ok, turned out my PCi GFX card was conflicting with the ram, so i knew the ram was ok all along

Sounds to me you've got 667 ram but it's running at 533 as that's the speed the mobo is running at. If you cpu is 533.

But if the cpu is 533 (fsb) the ram will run at same speed

hmmm, how sure are you about that as iam not so sure myself, strange how his spec sheets for the board say 667 supported and also crucial (the ram manufacturer) says the ram is supported, so i guess it must be supported, lol, there again its been a while since ive messed with my fsb's and ram speeds etc, so iam very rusty on the subject.

i even checked on kingstons website too for that motherboard and supported ram and it also confirms my original thoughts that it supports 667mhz ram and should likewise report that in the windows boot screen, if it dont then either his bios is wrong version or summit else is up, but it should post up 667mhz in the boot screen text.

There is a difference between what is support and what is required. As somebody else pointed out, if there is no memory adjustment option in the BIOS (quiet common on business PC) then it will automatically adjust memory speed based on CPU FSB.

What CPU is in the laptop, what FSB is it running (CPU-Z will show this).

There is a difference between what is support and what is required. As somebody else pointed out, if there is no memory adjustment option in the BIOS (quiet common on business PC) then it will automatically adjust memory speed based on CPU FSB.

What CPU is in the laptop, what FSB is it running (CPU-Z will show this).

dunno what cpu he has there etc, need to find out.

CPU-Z 1.46 report file

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 1 per processor
Name Intel Celeron M 540
Code Name Conroe-L
Specification Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz
Package Socket 479 mPGA
Family/Model/Stepping 6.6.1
Extended Family/Model 6.16
Core Stepping A1
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1862.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 14.0 x 133.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 532.0 MHz
Stock frequency 1866 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 1024 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge Intel GL960 rev. C0
Southbridge Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) rev. 03
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 266.0 MHz (1:2)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks

System

System Manufacturer Acer
System Name Aspire 5315
System S/N LXALC0Y127747043D31601
Mainboard Vendor Acer
Mainboard Model Acadia
BIOS Vendor Acer
BIOS Version V1.40
BIOS Date 05/20/2008

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Micron Technology
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Micron Technology

That looks right.
You have installed 667 memory HOWEVER your CPU is a 533 FSB and I suspect your laptop bios has locked the memory to CPU FSB unless you have an option to change the memory speed.

If won't matter even if you install 800 memory, unless your BIOS allows the memory speed to run independantly of CPU, you will not get any speed increase.

BTW, there are certain situations that having CPU and memory running at different speeds can actually slow your system down.

That looks right.
You have installed 667 memory HOWEVER your CPU is a 533 FSB and I suspect your laptop bios has locked the memory to CPU FSB unless you have an option to change the memory speed.

If won't matter even if you install 800 memory, unless your BIOS allows the memory speed to run independantly of CPU, you will not get any speed increase.

BTW, there are certain situations that having CPU and memory running at different speeds can actually slow your system down.

ok, i ran "everest ultimate edition" (great program), and i had him run same program, i just wanted to see what kind of results his gave as compared to mines just to check the program actually worked good and wasnt giving us false info, but no, it worked just great.

It prooved your point mate that his ram speed is locked to the same as the cpu fsb @ 533mhz, both the front side bus properties effective clock speed and the memory bus properties effective clock speeds showed as being the same at 533mhz prooving that his true memory speed of 667mhz is being held back to 533mhz :(

Reason why i checked mines too like i says was just to make sure everest was giving correct results and not just pumpping out any old crap figures, but it works just fine, reported my figures spot on fsb @ 1333mhz and memory effective clock @ 800mhz :), so now at least we know whats going on now :)

So, nows his big problem, ive told him he has a few choices, one is to go in the bios and go over all the options etc with a fine tooth comb to see if he can make manual changes to it.

The other choice would be to start reading anything and everything on the internet he can get his eyes on regarding his motherboard and/or ram and tweaking.

And thirdly, i would say this might be his best bet under the circumstances is to contact acer directly by phone or email and list the problem, and/or maybe even the memory manufacturer crucial to see if they can offer assistance.

After that i cant think what he could do, but it is a bit of a bummer buying ram that runs at 667 and the cpu only allows it to go at 533, that suks, especially when they say this ram is supported, i know supported doesnt necasarilly mean it will run at the given speed, but it should do, and crucial are usually not plain liars either, usually is they say its supported then it will give you the speed it says on the box, ive bought ram from them before a few times and its mostly been spot on, well apart from one time i had to downgrade my bios to an older bios version, but then the ram posted in boot the perfect quoted speed :), i told him to check out all the readme files that come with all the different bios versions for that motherboard as sometimes it could be that his bios version is not quite the right one, it could just be that as i know he upgraded the bios just recently to the very latest version, so he may need to go back one or two versions down the line, i guess its all about reading now, eh ???

we'll see how he gets on and i will post back.

p.s
anyone got any contact info for acer laptop support etc ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some checking, the chipset in that laptop definately does not support faster CPU then 533 and all the 5315 came with a 533 CPU. Also a quick check on google revealed several people asking the same question about unlocking memory speed. Did not find a positive answer, best bet to contact Acer.

About the crucial thing, they say the memory 667Mhz is compatible which it is. It is common to stop producing slower speed memory when faster ones are backwardly compatible and cost the same or even less. We have the same thing with our Dell desktops. Though the FSB vary, Kingston always supply the fastest memory regardless of model.

Back