special characters

coathanger57

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi guys, got a samsung Q310 laptop and the upper special characters don't work when you hold the shift key ,all the lower one's work ok. i have changed the default us keyboard to uk keyboard but still have same problem, any ideas what the problem might be . TIA

Some keypads have more than 1 shift key. Have you tried alternative to rule out a specific shift key issue, I.e. poor press down contact.
What OS are you running?

@coathanger57

Found this on the web;

"Go into Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button, choose the Keyboard device, right click to Uninstall, restart PC using mouse to reinstall driver.

If that fails then from Driver tab choose Update Driver, then Automatic. If that fails then choose Update driver again, then Browse PC, then Let Me Pick, try previous drivers.

If that's not enough then run the Keyboard Troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

If the other keys work fine, then try to turn off the Sticky Keys feature on your Windows settings"

@coathanger57

Found this on the web;

"Go into Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button, choose the Keyboard device, right click to Uninstall, restart PC using mouse to reinstall driver.

If that fails then from Driver tab choose Update Driver, then Automatic. If that fails then choose Update driver again, then Browse PC, then Let Me Pick, try previous drivers.

If that's not enough then run the Keyboard Troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

If the other keys work fine, then try to turn off the Sticky Keys feature on your Windows settings"
done everything you mentioned, still not working

Some keypads have more than 1 shift key. Have you tried alternative to rule out a specific shift key issue, I.e. poor press down contact.
What OS are you running?
tried both shift keys, still doesn't work. had the problem on windows 7 so upgraded to 10 and same problem

TURN OFF filter Keys;

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.
2. Now, click on Ease of Access.
3. Click on keyboard from the left menu
4. In the right side disable Filter keys. Make sure it is turned off.

Do you have a pc keyboard you can plug in and try? If that worked then maybe a keypad issue.

TURN OFF filter Keys;

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.
2. Now, click on Ease of Access.
3. Click on keyboard from the left menu
4. In the right side disable Filter keys. Make sure it is turned off.

Do you have a pc keyboard you can plug in and try? If that worked then maybe a keypad issue.
filters were all off, will try and get keyboard and try tomorrow. thanks

Back