- Jan 1, 2004
- Reaction score
- The Penny Arcade
opened the fridge to find a tin of spam mrs says it was a prize on tombola stall at local fete, so not had it for years had it grilled on toast for breakfast with some branston and some cheddar. quite enjoyed it. but decided to investigate further.
Here is some SPAM trivia:
* SPAM was introduced in 1937 and called "the Miracle Meat."
* In 1940, SPAM was advertised with one of the first singing commercials. The jingle's lyrics were: "SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM/ Hormel's new miracle meat in a can/ Tastes fine, saves time./ If you want something grand,/ Ask for SPAM!"
* Sales skyrocketed during World War II, sales boomed. SPAM was great for the military, as it required no refrigeration and wasn't rationed as beef was. It soon became a staple in American meals.
* During the late 1940s and early 1950s, the Hormel Girls performers advertised SPAM as they traveled throughout the country distributing SPAM door-to-door.
* National weekly radio show ads proclaimed: "Cold or hot, SPAM hits the spot!"
* Spam is most popular in the states of Alaska and Hawaii. It is also popular in many other countries. Whenever the economy takes a downturn, Spam sells increase.
Breakfast Spam Recipes
Spam and Eggs
* Slice Spam into 3/8 inch thick slices. Fry in butter until it begins to brown. Keep it warm while you cook the eggs.
* Scramble or fry two eggs per serving. Season with salt and pepper.
* Place two slices of fried Spam and two eggs on each serving plate.
* Serve with picante sauce or hot sauce if desired.
* Great with hash brown potatoes.
Spam Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
12 oz can SPAM, cubed
2 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
4-oz can diced green chiles
1 small onion chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
8 7" flour tortillas
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
* Place about 1/4 cup SPAM, 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon green pepper, 1 tablespoon tomato and 1 tablespoon cheese on each tortilla.
* Roll each filled tortille jelly-roll fashion and place seam side down in a greased 13 x 9" baking dish.
* Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and blend with a wire whisk. Pour over enchiladas.
* Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
* Sprinkle with remaining cheese, return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with picante sauce.
Spam Sandwich Recipes
Spam Reuben Sandwich
12-oz can SPAM, cut into 8 slices
8 slices rye bread
3 tbsp butter, softened
8-oz can sauerkraut
1 cup grated swiss cheese
1/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
Rinse and drain sauerkraut. Mix together sauerkraut, cheese and dressing. Spread 1/4 of the sauerkraut mixture on each of 4 unbuttered bread slices. Top each with 2 slices SPAM. Top with remaining slices of rye bread and butter the outrsides of the bread. Grill over medium heat in skillet or griddle until cheese melts and sandwiches are browned on both sides.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Hot Spam Sandwich
For each use:
2 slices Whole Wheat, French or Italian bread
2 slices Spam, 1/4 inch thick
1 thick slice of American cheese or other cheese of your choice
Sandwich spread (optional)
Lightly butter the bread on one side, and grill in a hot skillet until golden. Put on a serving plate toasted side up. Fry the Spam in butter, and place two slices, side by side on one slice of the bread. Top with cheese, cover with other piece of bread. Carefully return the assembled sandwich to the skillet and grill until both sides are golden. Serve warm.
Cold Spam Sandwich
For each sandwich use:
2 slices sandwich-size French, Italian or sourdough bread
2 slices Spam
2 slices American cheese
Sandwich Spread, tomato slices, lettuce, sliced pickle, or other fillings of your choice
Spread bread with sandwich spread. Add Spam, cheese, and other toppings.
Main Dish Spam Recipes
Sweet and Sour Spam Recipe
12-oz can SPAM, cubed
8-oz can bamboo shoots, drained
1 lg. carrot, sliced diagonally
6 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cucumber, cut in chunks
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp catsup
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cups water
* Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrot, green onion, garlic and cucumber cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisply tender.
* Add remaining ingredients except the SPAM and bamboo shoots.
* Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened (5 to 6 minutes).
* Add SPAM and bamboo shoots. Cook over medijm heat until heated through (4 to 5 minutes).
Serve over rice or noodles.
Spam Spaghetti Carbonara
1 1/2 lbs spaghetti
12-oz can SPAM, cubed
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
* Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
* While spaghettie is cooking, saute SPAM and onion in oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Set aside.
* When spaghetti is cooked, drain; return to pot.
* Add eggs and toss to combine.
* Add SPAM mixture, cheese and parsley; toss to combine.
* Season to taste with pepper.
Summer Skillet Spam Recipe
12-oz can SPAM
6 medium new potatoes, peeled and sliced
16-oz can whole tomatoes, sliced
3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4" slices
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
* In a 10" skillet melt butter over medium heat.
* Add potatoes and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender (6 to 8 minutes).
* Add zucchini and onions; continue cooking until vegetables are crisply tender (3 to 4 minutes).
* Cut SPAM into 6 slices and halve each slice. Add to skillet.
* Add remaining ingredients; stir to blend. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through (8 to 10 minutes).
1 or more cans of Spam (one-third to one-half can per serving).
1 can pineapple rings
1 jar pineapple preserves
Place (unsliced) Spam in a shallow baking pan or dish. With a sharp knife, score the Spam in a diamond pattern. Insert four to six whole cloves into top of Spam. Top each Spam "loaf" with a pineapple ring. Brush warm pineapple preserves over all.
Bake in a hot oven until the edges begin to brown. Remove the cloves before eating.
Spam Recipes for the Grill
Grilled Spam Recipes
Spam is fully cooked, so just slice it and brown it a bit on the grill. Add a glaze of zesty barbecue sauce or other favorite glaze. Pineapple preserves with a little Tabasco mixed in is a tasty glaze.
Try Spam-kabobs. Skewer cubes of Spam alternating with chunks of veggies for grilling. Again, apply a glaze.
Spam Grilled in Foil
12-oz can SPAM, cut into 12 slices
8 new potatoes, sliced
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup beer
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1/2 tsp celery seed
Combine brown sugar, beer, mustard, and celery seed in a bowl. Divide vegetables and SPAM into equal portions, arranging each portion on an 18 x 12" piece of foil.
dDrizzle mustard sauce over each and fold up to form 5 x 4" packet and seal well.
Place foil packets over medium hot coals, grilling 45 to 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Spam Recipe for Spam Salad
1 can of Spam, regular or low-salt
1/4 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup diced sweet or dill pickle
1 large hard boiled egg, diced
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Sandwich spread or salad Dsressing to taste
Chop or grind Spam to consistency of coarse hamburger. Mix with other ingredients using enough sandwich spread or salad dressing to consistency you desire. Chill thoroughly. Serve as a dip with chips or crackers or spread on bread Spam salad sandwiches.