Spain Sat Help

q2uantum

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am after a bit of advise for my father in law.

He has a property in spain in a gated complex. They currently have a sly box in the property that is connected to a communal dish. The sly box is currently used for picking up Freeview channels BUT it wont get them all. The channels I believe it should pick up but can't displays "There is no signal being transmitted".

What I am wondering if any other setup could be used on this communal dish to allow him to get more channels than he does now?. I know that he wont be able to get sly sports etc

There is no real way we can adjust the dish with it being communal and also he is the furthest property away from the dish so could it be a signal strength problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions on things that could be tried or a better setup that could be used? (He doesnt want his own dish so it counts that one out)

P.S I am new to the Sat scene bit quite experienced with the D500C's and DBOX2's on the cable scene.

Regards

q2

Its a LARGE dish probably 2metres wide at a guess.

Im not sure what other people do in the other houses as a lot of them are spanish owned and the others are english owned but are used for letting only.

Is there a way to test the signal strength at the box end?

I was thinking of replacing the sly box with something else that is capable of picking up other channels, as he has been told by "a bloke in a pub" that he could get Premiership games but with foreign commentary which he quite likes the idea of! Is this possible?

Regards

q2

1. sky uk on 28e dont have foreign commentary for premiership games
2. could get premiership games on a seperate 60cm dish pointed to 13e or 19e..audio can be changed to english using remote....
3. a sky digibox is no use for this, he would need a linux based box with official card or c/s

re: no signal, certain channels fall off in the pm, eg bbc's, itv's, should get itvhd no probs though

where abouts in spain is he.......and what beam is he on?/

this is the astra2 ,28e footprint

footprint of the Astra 2 satellite for Sky, BBC etc

Last edited:
has been told by "a bloke in a pub" that he could get Premiership games but with foreign commentary which he quite likes the idea of! Is this possible?

yes m8 it sure is as ya wil be able to get the spanish/italian/german/dutch/norwegien channels, im not a dishy guy but Digidude on here will help ya out.:banana:
but ya will need a good sly box and a cards ok
i know in malta they get all the spanish/italian/german/dutch/norwegien channels

1. sky uk on 28e dont have foreign commentary for premiership games
2. could get premiership games on a seperate 60cm dish pointed to 13e or 19e..audio can be changed to english using remote....
3. a sky digibox is no use for this, he would need a linux based box with official card or c/s

re: no signal, certain channels fall off in the pm, eg bbc's, itv's, should get itvhd no probs though

where abouts in spain is he.......and what beam is he on?/

this is the astra2 ,28e footprint

footprint of the Astra 2 satellite for Sky, BBC etc

He is in Guadamar Del Segura (20mins away from Alicante) and I dont really understand the Sat Scene that much so Im not sure what you mean about what beam he is on.

Some of his channels do fall off in the PM as you have mentioned as well but he cant get HD as its an OLD OLD Sly Box.

He really just wants more channels with some football if its possible :)

its possible with a dreambox or technomate linux box but would require a 2nd. smaller dish to get the feeds
beam as in look at the link for the footprint.....if it covers the area ur father in law is living

its possible with a dreambox or technomate linux box but would require a 2nd. smaller dish to get the feeds
beam as in look at the link for the footprint.....if it covers the area ur father in law is living

The location of his property wouldnt allow a smaller dish to be pointed the same direction as the large communal dish so this isnt really an option.

As for the Beam, where he is falls just inside the 50cm Astra 2 South Beam ring and maybe just on the 120cm Astra 2 North Beam ring.

Is there any option with another make of box on the communial dish or would that be a waste of time? (Just to make it clear each house has there own box (not sure what others use) )

Regards

q2

pinkhelmets worked for years doing satellites in that region, and i believe uktvspain (username is something like that) is still in the area, pinky would be the best to advise on the best way to use a sly digibox, including changing the default transponder, adjusting skew on the dish, and other hints for maximising reception

It may even be a communial dish I installed :) I done many dozens of communial urbanizations. In any case I'd say there isnt any option with the current setup -if the channel says 'no satellite signal being received' then you likely arent going to get it. A modern box does improve signal quality so you may get a slight boost, or keep the ones that go off for a bit longer. Sky sports should be available though, that just needs access to valid subscription.
For football however, there is a far better option in spain. You can receive 7 west on a small 60cm dish. Loads more premiership football available than on sky. This option requires a dish pointing a bit further west than direct south, and is certainly what all the pubs out there use.

Back