Sony Bravia Wireless Dongles? Alternative

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

Couple of people here at work say that they have just got a Sony and they would like to make it wireless, they are saying (as we all know) that the official sony USB dongle is like £50.00.

Is there an alternative, I was saying that a wireless bridge, home plugs are the like, but to keep it neat and tidy they'd like a wi-fi dongle that would work.

Thanks again for your help.

Dibbs.

Re: Sony Bravo Wireless Dongles? Alternative

i was looking for the same for my philips tv the other week
from what i found out is that its down to the chipset of the wireless adaptor as the drivers will be preloaded on the tv
if you can findout what chipset sony use and find a cheap usb wifi using the same chipset it may work

yeah thanks for that, bit like the chipset for wi-fi sniffing and "backtrack" and the like, they have to be of a specfic chipset etc. to run, (and a little simalar with the chipset needed for xbox 360 flashing, vai 6421a they were)

I was just hoping that some one has all ready found one out....

I'll have a look around though.

cheers

knowing Sony it will probably be encrypted up the wazoo.

how about something like this attched the the ethernet port? or any cheapo N wireless router and make a wireless bridge to you internet router.

yeah thanks, I have numerous wireless bridges, he's after a neat USB wi-fi dongle though.....rather than a router plugged into his own router and then one down the tv all though, I have a feeling that's the way it's going to go...

nobody has figured out the alternative to the sony dongly yet mate. Homeplugs or bridge/gamepoint territory

ah is it? right, thanks for that then, if it ever changes, ping me, wireless bridge it is then.....cheers all

yeah thanks, I have numerous wireless bridges, he's after a neat USB wi-fi dongle though.....rather than a router plugged into his own router and then one down the tv all though, I have a feeling that's the way it's going to go...

that netgear wnce2001 also has a small footprint and can be powered via usb and refurb is 26.99 off the bay, should also work with any make of device

Last edited:

nobody has figured out the alternative to the sony dongly yet mate. Homeplugs or bridge/gamepoint territory

is there an alternative to the phillips one do you know of mate ?

Thanks guys (and Hawkish mate for editing the title! spelling mistake me thinks! ha!)

Think i'll just stick him a netgear bridg down the back of hsi TV, it's only a few quid of fleabay.

Cheers

Back