Soldier says rabbis pushed "religious war" in Gaza

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Rabbis in the Israeli army told battlefield troops in January's Gaza offensive that they were fighting a "religious war" against gentiles, according to one army commander's account published on Friday.

"Their message was very clear: we are the Jewish people, we came to this land by a miracle, God brought us back to this land and now we need to fight to expel the gentiles who are interfering with our conquest of this holy land," he said.

The account by Ram, a pseudonym to shield the soldier's identity, was published by the left-leaning Haaretz newspaper in the second day of revelations that have rocked the Israeli military. (Haaretz Daily Newspaper Israel, Israeli News Source "Shooting and Crying, 2009").

They were leaked from a Feb 13 meeting of armed forces members to share their Gaza experiences. Some veterans, alumni of an Israel Defence Force (IDF) military academy, told of the killing of civilians and their impression that deep contempt for Palestinians pervaded the ranks of the Israeli forces.

The institution's director, Danny Zamir, confirmed that Thursday's published accounts were authentic.

In longer excerpts in its Friday "Week's End" edition, the daily quoted 'Ram' as saying his impression of the 22-day operation was "the feeling of an almost religious mission".

It began when a devout sergeant in his unit "assembled the whole platoon and led the prayer for those going into battle", he said. "Also when we were inside they sent in those booklets full of Psalms, a ton of Psalms. I think the house I was in for a week, we could have filled a room with the Psalms they sent."

The officer felt there was a "huge gap between what the Education Corps sent out and what the IDF rabbinate sent out".

The corps distributed pamphlets about the history of Israel's fighting in Gaza from 1948 to the present, he said.

But the rabbinate's message imparted to many soldiers the sense that "this operation was a religious war".

"ALL TERRORISTS"

A squad commander from Ram's Givat Brigade, named as Aviv, recounted his misgivings about orders to break down doors with armoured vehicles and shoot anyone inside, floor by floor. In the event, the order was amended to include "operating megaphones" so advancing troops could tell people they had five minutes to get out or be killed.

Aviv said "there was a very annoying moment" when he briefed his men and one challenged that order, saying: "Yeah? Anyone who is in there is a terrorist, that's a known fact..."

"And then his buddies join in: 'We need to murder any person who's in there, yeah, any person who's in Gaza is a terrorist' and all the other things that they stuff our heads with, in the media," Aviv was quoted as saying.

The Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) has put the Palestinian death toll during the war at 1,417 -- 926 civilians, 236 fighters and 255 police officers. Israeli officials have disputed those figures. Thirteen Israelis were killed.

On Thursday, an Israeli think-tank, the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism, challenged the conclusion that close to 1,000 Gaza civilians were killed. It said a statistical analysis of PCHR's list of civilian casualties showed a disproportionate number of young men of fighting age.

Defence Minister Ehud Barak responded to the IDF revelations on Thursday by repeating Israel's description of its armed forces as the most moral in the world. The IDF said its judge advocate-general had ordered an investigation.

According to a soldier named as Moshe, investigations into battlefield conduct are not taken seriously. He said the attitude could be summed up as:

"It isn't pleasant to say so, but no one cares at all. We aren't investigating this. This is what happens during fighting..."

By Douglas Hamilton
Soldier says rabbis pushed "religious war" in Gaza | Reuters

No one dares accuse Israel of anything and they are above international law.

i thought the rabbits were fighting against genitals??

re read it a few times, then got bored lol

every decent human being cares.
israel should be charged with war crimes.

Granted, But if the same sitution happened here.. lets say the scottish trying to invade the england. im pretty sure all people would be moved away from the fighting.. thus stopping any unwanted deaths..

Ive always thought it and will never change my mind.. but the east is a fucked up place with fecked up people. given the west has had its problems but least its a safe place to live.. but we still have the fecked up people.. ie des oconnor etc etc

Goes to show the jews are as fooked as their neighbours.

The west won't do anything to Israel, it never will and thats down to USA, that country is run by jews. The UN is too powerless. You dont often hear the media slating Israel.

The west won't do anything to Israel, it never will and thats down to USA, that country is run by jews. The UN is too powerless. You dont often hear the media slating Israel.

I honestly think Israel has forfeited its right to exists. quite how we deal with that, is a whole other problem. i do believe one thing though. the world will never be at peace, until it is reined in or disbanded.

I honestly think Israel has forfeited its right to exists. quite how we deal with that, is a whole other problem. i do believe one thing though. the world will never be at peace, until it is reined in or disbanded.

You really need to look at the history of the region, with a comment like that ist's obvious you know nothing

Muslims complain about their palestinian brothers being abused, but of course its okay for muslims to fight other muslims or for them to employ their law which everybody including non muslims got to abide by. A lot of people say sort that problem in the middle east then the world is a better place. Bullshit! Shutting down Israel isnt the answer.

If you shut down Israel what next? Would it be India because they do not relinquish control of Kashmir? Why should India relinquish control? Just because it is muslim dominated does not give Pakistan the right to want it.

That was just an example and of course Im only talking about extremists and right winged thinking.

I just wish people can co-exist with each other but a fact of like is religion plays a part and those religious fanatics, regardless of where they are from, is what is stopping any chance of peace.

I hate agreeign with Emarald (he is madder than 'Mad Jack McMad) but he has a point regarding the chronology of the territory being discussed.

I urge anybody to understand the timeline surrounding this area, and when the Arab 'Palestine' came into being.

It is not as clear as the 'Israel bad, Muslims good' moral equivalency would dictate.

As I see it, both are entitled to the land they currently have and to just stick with what they got rather than trying to get rid of their neighbour. Israel are standing up against their muslim neighbours which is why they are getting pissed off.

why he is right . it is time to close this jewish hell down . and give it back .

I dont think the muslims are able to run a country properly without constant war and/or fear. I found this site and saw a number of interesting articles. The world will become a worse place if Israel goes

This from a muslim, I never knew about this "Ahmed" thing
West, wake up! - Reader comments at DanielPipes.org

I do believe there is an element of truth in this as well

Muslims taking over non muslim countries and societies slowly but surely....Wake up West...and Act now... - Reader comments at DanielPipes.org
The Koran demands world dominance - Reader comments at Daniel Pipes Blog

How about this from a London counciller
Atiq Malik, British Politician, Calls for Stoning Adulterous Muslim Women - Daniel Pipes Blog

Frankly I dont care much about the war in Gaza and maybe I may not be human but I have no pity for the suffering going on. As I put it down to their own bringing.

No shit Einstein, Jews fighting Muslims is a religious war????? Whatever headline news story will Reuters come up with next?

:Angryfire

Dead Gaza Babies..Israeli Army Fashion

CAIRO — Sporting T-shirts with Palestinian babies, Gazan mothers mourning their slain children, razed mosques, Israeli soldiers are bragging their atrocities in the Gaza Strip.

"You take whoever [in the unit] knows how to draw and then you give it to the commanders before printing," an Israeli soldier who identified himself as Y., told Haaretz on Saturday, March 21.

Y. designed a T-shirt depicting a soldier in a Palestinian city with the slogan "If you believe it can be fixed, then believe it can be destroyed!".

Since the end of the Gaza war, Israeli soldiers, marking the end of training of field duty, wear T-shirts depicting images of atrocities in overcrowded strip.

A T-shirt was designed by infantry snipers with an inscription reading "Better use Durex (trademark for condoms)," next to an image of a dead Palestinian baby, with his weeping mother and a teddy bear beside him.

"Israel Wiped My Village off Map"
Killed by Israel, Eaten by Dogs
"Dad, I'm Dying"
Palestinian Holocaust Museum

A T-shirt designed by the Givati Brigade's Shaked battalion shows a pregnant Palestinian woman with a bull's-eye superimposed on her belly, with the slogan, "1 shot, 2 kills."

A graduation shirt for soldiers who completed a snipers course depicts a Palestinian baby, who grows into a combative boy and then an armed adult, with the inscription, "No matter how it begins, we'll put an end to it."

Israeli troops killed more than 1,350 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and wounded 5,450 others in 22 days of attacks in Gaza, home to 1.6 million Palestinians.

The onslaught wrecked havoc on the infrastructure of the densely-populated enclave, leaving tens of thousands of homes and other buildings in ruins.

Israeli soldiers admitted Thursday killing innocent Palestinians in cold blood and ransacked their properties during the Gaza war.

UN special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories Richard Falk has accused Israel of committing war crimes of the greatest magnitude in Gaza.

Racist

One of the shirts sported by infantry unit soldiers is reading "Let every Arab mother know that her son's fate is in my hands!".

"It has a drawing depicting a soldier as the Angel of Death, next to a gun and an Arab town," a Givati Brigade soldier said.

Another sniper's shirt features a Palestinian kid in the crosshairs with the slogan "Smaller - harder!"?

"It's a kid, so you've got a little more of a problem, morally, and also the target is smaller," G., a soldier in an elite unit who has done a snipers course, said.

Many T-shirts are also printed with blatant sexual messages.

"No virgins, no terror attacks," reads a slogan written below an image of an Israeli solider raping a girl.

Another T-shirt depicting a vulture sexually penetrating Hamas' prime minister, Ismail Haniyeh, accompanied by a particularly graphic slogan.

The content of the T-shirts is approved by the unit's commanders.

"Usually the shirts undergo a selection process by some officer, but in this case, they were approved at the level of platoon sergeant," the Givati soldier said.

Sociologist Orna Sasson-Levy, of Bar-Ilan University said the trend shows the growing radicalization process inside Israeli society.

"(The phenomenon is) part of a radicalization process the entire country is undergoing, and the soldiers are at its forefront.

Sasson-Levy said the paintings and slogans show how Israeli soldier see Palestinians.

"There is a perception that the Palestinian is not a person, a human being entitled to basic rights, and therefore anything may be done to him."

What a load of ********

The media coverage of Israel tends to be mostly negative

Even during the Gaza operation where Israel had been having rockets coming into inhabited areas for many months and there had been fatalities,there had been schools damaged and children hurt at play this was not mentioned but as an aside.

Israel had to act to protect her citizens

If you want to see an improvement of the situation in the Mid East then encourage the Muslim/Arab population to work towards peace rather than war

Dead Gaza Babies..Israeli Army Fashion

CAIRO — Sporting T-shirts with Palestinian babies, Gazan mothers mourning their slain children, razed mosques, Israeli soldiers are bragging their atrocities in the Gaza Strip.

"You take whoever [in the unit] knows how to draw and then you give it to the commanders before printing," an Israeli soldier who identified himself as Y., told Haaretz on Saturday, March 21.

Y. designed a T-shirt depicting a soldier in a Palestinian city with the slogan "If you believe it can be fixed, then believe it can be destroyed!".

Since the end of the Gaza war, Israeli soldiers, marking the end of training of field duty, wear T-shirts depicting images of atrocities in overcrowded strip.

A T-shirt was designed by infantry snipers with an inscription reading "Better use Durex (trademark for condoms)," next to an image of a dead Palestinian baby, with his weeping mother and a teddy bear beside him.

"Israel Wiped My Village off Map"
Killed by Israel, Eaten by Dogs
"Dad, I'm Dying"
Palestinian Holocaust Museum

A T-shirt designed by the Givati Brigade's Shaked battalion shows a pregnant Palestinian woman with a bull's-eye superimposed on her belly, with the slogan, "1 shot, 2 kills."

A graduation shirt for soldiers who completed a snipers course depicts a Palestinian baby, who grows into a combative boy and then an armed adult, with the inscription, "No matter how it begins, we'll put an end to it."

Israeli troops killed more than 1,350 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and wounded 5,450 others in 22 days of attacks in Gaza, home to 1.6 million Palestinians.

The onslaught wrecked havoc on the infrastructure of the densely-populated enclave, leaving tens of thousands of homes and other buildings in ruins.

Israeli soldiers admitted Thursday killing innocent Palestinians in cold blood and ransacked their properties during the Gaza war.

UN special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories Richard Falk has accused Israel of committing war crimes of the greatest magnitude in Gaza.

Racist

One of the shirts sported by infantry unit soldiers is reading "Let every Arab mother know that her son's fate is in my hands!".

"It has a drawing depicting a soldier as the Angel of Death, next to a gun and an Arab town," a Givati Brigade soldier said.

Another sniper's shirt features a Palestinian kid in the crosshairs with the slogan "Smaller - harder!"?

"It's a kid, so you've got a little more of a problem, morally, and also the target is smaller," G., a soldier in an elite unit who has done a snipers course, said.

Many T-shirts are also printed with blatant sexual messages.

"No virgins, no terror attacks," reads a slogan written below an image of an Israeli solider raping a girl.

Another T-shirt depicting a vulture sexually penetrating Hamas' prime minister, Ismail Haniyeh, accompanied by a particularly graphic slogan.

The content of the T-shirts is approved by the unit's commanders.

"Usually the shirts undergo a selection process by some officer, but in this case, they were approved at the level of platoon sergeant," the Givati soldier said.

Sociologist Orna Sasson-Levy, of Bar-Ilan University said the trend shows the growing radicalization process inside Israeli society.

"(The phenomenon is) part of a radicalization process the entire country is undergoing, and the soldiers are at its forefront.

Sasson-Levy said the paintings and slogans show how Israeli soldier see Palestinians.

"There is a perception that the Palestinian is not a person, a human being entitled to basic rights, and therefore anything may be done to him."

This is called PROPAGANDA dear boy

Back