Mobile Phones sold mobile blacklisted after 4 months

goldenvision

Member ++
Reaction score
Need some advice guys, my daughter bought a samsung Sim free mobile off Ebay in January (I know, risky) She didnt like touchscreen and went back to Blackberry, so sold it on Ebay a week later
Anyway buyer has rang her today and said phone has stopped working and is blacklisted, he has checked with Samsung?
Surely, if it worked for over 4 months then its no longer her problem, he is requesting a refund

Thanks for any input

Goldenvision

Need some advice guys, my daughter bought a samsung Sim free mobile off Ebay in January (I know, risky) She didnt like touchscreen and went back to Blackberry, so sold it on Ebay a week later
Anyway buyer has rang her today and said phone has stopped working and is blacklisted, he has checked with Samsung?
Surely, if it worked for over 4 months then its no longer her problem, he is requesting a refund

Thanks for any input

Goldenvision

It's usually not the manufacturer that requests blacklisting. If it really is blacklisted she may have to give a refund but I would go through the resolution service so you get the phone back first. Also, you should be able to get a blacklist report from whoever initiated it - get the buyer to send it to you as a first step - it could be just a 'try-on' to get some money out of you...

From what I understand the way blacklisting works is that the phone IMEI number can be registered with a carrier when they put a SIM in. If a phone gets stolen then the person who registered the SIM can have it blacklist so I don't think samsung would have any record of it being blacklisted.

as above
only the providers will blacklist the phone and for that to happen it has to be reported as stolen to the police and the provider ( ie t-mobile,orange and the like )
the maker has nothing to do with it
my question is who would you get the report from ??? you or they would need to know who it was reported to in the first place unless i am wrong

this is a typical scam and the phone doent need to be reported stolen
people take contracts out and pay the first month or so
sell the phone and don't pay no more the provider blocks the phone as the bill has not been paid

this is a typical scam and the phone doent need to be reported stolen
people take contracts out and pay the first month or so
sell the phone and don't pay no more the provider blocks the phone as the bill has not been paid

Yep, pretty common :(

Most of the major networks now share IMEI numbers - for anyone who doesn't know, the IMEI number is the unique handset reference. Locked or unlocked unless you have the ability to reflash the firmware the IMEI stays the same so unlocking from Virgin doesn't mean you can punt it at Vodafone...

...the SIM is irrelevant!

Apparently it was an upgrade - not wanted so sold (original seller said) my daughter bought it but just couldnt get used to it, she'd always had Blackberrys, so sold it a week later.
Guy had it working for nearly 5 months so she is saying her obligation is over, she would have refunded within first month or so, as she doesnt know what has happened to it in that time, but Turner Brown may be right original seller may not have paid his contract.
She is going back to original seller to see if he will refund then of course she would pass on.
Buyer threatened to get Police, but she said fine, she has done nothing wrong or illegal.

5 months on I don't see how it's her problem, the phone was sold second hand your daughter I'm sure would have stated this in her ad, PayPal payment protection only lasts 3 months I think it is anyway. I'd still out of decency investigate With the original owner as much as you can but I can't see even what the police could do anyway.

It could also be a scam by the buyer. Perhaps he or she had an identical blocked phone, and bought this one hoping to pin their problem on your daughter. Did you keep a record of the IMEI number? The fact the buyer claims info came from manufacturer makes the story sound fishy. Similar thing happened to me a few years back, luckily I DID have the serial number :Clap:

Back