solar power imersion switch

bonehead

Member ++
Reaction score
hi all I have been looking to install a solar power immersion switch so as to use all power generated by my solar panels,my question is has anyone got one in,and do they help,seen them for £250 ish
thanks

I'm not sure you would get payback for that tbh. If you work out that you have fridge/freezer, maybe a PC, washing machine and other bits and pieces running all day then you are probably using all the power you generate anyway. And the saving would come from the off-set of not using your boiler which you would need to work out how much of a saving it it.

You don't say what your solar system is? Low voltage immersion heaters can be had for about £25. The real question is how to tie it into your existing system...

...raising the hot water temperature by even a few degrees can be a good idea if the control system costs don't override the benefits.

You don't say what your solar system is? Low voltage immersion heaters can be had for about £25. The real question is how to tie it into your existing system...

...raising the hot water temperature by even a few degrees can be a good idea if the control system costs don't override the benefits.

I think he means something like this. Basically it monitors the PV output (a domestic PV install can be up to 4kW) and when there is sufficient amount of surplus it switches on the immersion heater. Now of course it no good doing it for 200w or whatever so normally you want to set it to around 800W surplus. So once you have have subtracted you background usage from generation do you think you will be hitting that surplus ? There is also further trickery as your immersion heater is normally geared to work on 3kW or so.

As an estimate, 800W for 8 hours would be enough to heat a typical immersion take to around 50C.

This kind of unit is designed to plug into your existing PV install and keep existing immersion heater. It also claims that there is no threshold so even if you have a surplus of 10W, it will use it.

SolarImmersion - Surplus Solar Energy Water Heater |

hi had a think and just ordered the solarimersion system as it seems the best for me so watch this space I will post any results when I get them
cheers

hi had a think and just ordered the solarimersion system as it seems the best for me so watch this space I will post any results when I get them
cheers

I would be real interested in how much it reduces you electric / gas bill, the reports actually look promising.

Also are you planning on fitting it yourself or getting somebody to fit it ?

Last edited:
I take it you have PV panels installed as well

No M8, I'm just interested :) It's quite windy here so I'd probably go for a small turbine with control circuit and a 12 volt immersion in the current off-peak position.

No M8, I'm just interested :) It's quite windy here so I'd probably go for a small turbine with control circuit and a 12 volt immersion in the current off-peak position.

interesting idea, no chance of installing a wind turbine here.

interesting idea, no chance of installing a wind turbine here.

Local restriction or no wind? Here in the Vale of York wind is plentiful! I've done all the passive stuff like major insulation etc. PV panels are out of my price right now but a small turbine for water heating is possible. I'd probably go DIY as it's so easy. The 12 volt immersion fits into a standard insert in the tank but you do need a control circuit to manage the charging - somewhere to dump the excess charge...

Local restriction or no wind? Here in the Vale of York wind is plentiful! I've done all the passive stuff like major insulation etc. PV panels are out of my price right now but a small turbine for water heating is possible. I'd probably go DIY as it's so easy. The 12 volt immersion fits into a standard insert in the tank but you do need a control circuit to manage the charging - somewhere to dump the excess charge...

there is plenty of wind but I am in a residential area so no chance of a turbine. I have PV panels and as got them installed at the old FIT rate they are paying back OK at the moment.

there is plenty of wind but I am in a residential area so no chance of a turbine. I have PV panels and as got them installed at the old FIT rate they are paying back OK at the moment.

A suitable wind-turbine would easily pass planning? Is your area very picky?

A suitable wind-turbine would easily pass planning? Is your area very picky?

I have to say that I haven't looked but how much power would a small turbine generate and how much noise do they make ?

Typically 200-500 Watts, reasonably quiet and cost about £1 per Watt. You do need some control circuitry and a 'dump load' (which could just be a couple of lamps). Save the power in a battery and away you go :)

Power output may not seem much compared to the 3kW for a standard immersion but beavering away all night it should lead to worthwhile savings on water heating.

Typically 200-500 Watts, reasonably quiet and cost about £1 per Watt. You do need some control circuitry and a 'dump load' (which could just be a couple of lamps). Save the power in a battery and away you go :)

Power output may not seem much compared to the 3kW for a standard immersion but beavering away all night it should lead to worthwhile savings on water heating.

Where are you planning on installing this ?

I live in the middle of a town. Reports I read show that wind turbines don't work well in built up areas.

Where are you planning on installing this ?

I live in the middle of a town. Reports I read show that wind turbines don't work well in built up areas.

They're light enough to install on a pole above the roof-line. First thing to do is to get some data on wind speed and consistency - you're right, wind is more turbulent in town so no point just putting one up and hoping for the best. This site has an estimator , just enter postcode etc. - Wind Speed Prediction Tool / Wind turbines / Choosing a renewable technology / Generating energy / Home (England) - Energy Saving Trust England

A more reliable indicator would be to put up a small weather station and collect wind speed over a period - they can be had for about £45.

They're light enough to install on a pole above the roof-line. First thing to do is to get some data on wind speed and consistency - you're right, wind is more turbulent in town so no point just putting one up and hoping for the best. This site has an estimator , just enter postcode etc. - Wind Speed Prediction Tool / Wind turbines / Choosing a renewable technology / Generating energy / Home (England) - Energy Saving Trust England

A more reliable indicator would be to put up a small weather station and collect wind speed over a period - they can be had for about £45.

The website is showing average wind speed of 2.3m/s which looks like it won't be enough. Also I am not overly keen on having the thing up on a mast in the middle of a housing estate. My area is a bit funny, for example I am the only one with PV panels in the street.

I have a pv system,only had it in since December but seems to average about 7/9 kw per day//about 1500/1700 watts/hour so I think maybe about 800 watts spare ,hopefully this will give me some warm water,but that's to be seen, worth a go for a couple of hundred quid,it will be a couple of weeks before its in waiting delivery,hope to install myself

Back