Snake eggs

Would a snakorium 10" deep by around 5' wide be a good enough size for one of those corn snakes?

Do they bite?

bloody ell, shes laid eggs , although they look infertile lol.

Would a snakorium 10" deep by around 5' wide be a good enough size for one of those corn snakes?

Do they bite?

Would do nicely for the first year mate, heat mat would be required though. And no they dont bite, handle them as much as possible when small, and they are very tame. My 6ft snake loves being handled and is very very tame due to amount of handling. But its like any pet the less you handle, the less tame it is.

I got some space under the telly that I may just chuck a snake in.

I was also thinking that I could build a large glass enclosure in the hallway, say 5' high by 10" deep and chuck some tree's n stuff in there, make it look like a jungle, I wonder if the snakes would climb the tree's and enjoy the environment?

I got some space under the telly that I may just chuck a snake in.

I was also thinking that I could build a large glass enclosure in the hallway, say 5' high by 10" deep and chuck some tree's n stuff in there, make it look like a jungle, I wonder if the snakes would climb the tree's and enjoy the environment?

That sounds fine mate, and yes they would. I have a 4ft by 2ft tank with 2 snakes in it. Snakes like tight spaces, but its best to have some room for them, but that sounds ideal tbh mate. Easiest pet in the world too, feed them once every 2 weeks or so, fresh water daily, and clean tank regularly and thats it. No walking or real looking after which is ideal. But you have to handle them to make them tame, thats the only advice.

Nice one, I've always wanted a real snake to practice my kung fu technique. I'll give this some thought.

Cheeky are you going to the IHS show? Just looking at the details of it all, and I am well up for that. Although its a good 5 hour drive from where I live, and would prefer to meet someone there, rather than arriving on my own.

Nice one, I've always wanted a real snake to practice my kung fu technique. I'll give this some thought.

Or you could end up as DW's snake charmer

2815New_Dehli_-_Snake_Charmer_2_-_im.JPG

Cheeky are you going to the IHS show? Just looking at the details of it all, and I am well up for that. Although its a good 5 hour drive from where I live, and would prefer to meet someone there, rather than arriving on my own.

Na not me mate, I didn't consider keeping a snake until this thread popped up. The wife and I had planned on a huge fish tank glass wall between the hallway and lounge so this has given us a nice alternative.

I guess a snake might be easier to look after for his first reptile. Not that i've ever kept one myself, but linny tells me a bit about them :)

yeah deffo going , theres quite a few of us going, no probs if you want to hook up, there are toher snake shows, i think theres one in leicester coming up in august, i`ll find details and let you know.

its £5 to get in but well worth it. take a cool box with you, fill it full of ice , or better yet, just bring a cool box with you and buy a couple of bags of ice (theres an asda right across the road from the show) as food is well cheap, or at least there woman that was there selling it was, she just sold food, small mice where 32p each, considering that my local shop sells them for 90p upwards , its cheap, my mate picked up 2 very large exoterra water bowls £2 each, christ there £10 each in my local, and even ebay do em for about 6 or 7, couldnt believe it, i got my standard viv 3`x1.5`x1` for £40 which is £18 cheaper than ebays best price, and atleast £25 cheaper than average pet shop, so deffo bring some cash with ya. there where about at a guess 100 to 150 tables there, maybe more just selling snakes, lizards, spiders and equipment. theres probably about 12 of us going so far this year, your more than welcome to meet up if you want, but is suspect people will just be wandering here there and everywhere. It was very busy, bit of a wait to actually get near some tables, but some very nice stuff there and everyone very helpful.

@munkey
for an adult corn snake the recommended tank size is about 4.5 square feet , the normal viv is 3ft x 1.5ft x 1ft so 5ft by 10 inches should be fine for an adult, like janobi says probably one of the easiests pets to have , we feed ours once a week, it then shiits once a week, spot clean as and when and then a full clean out and new bedding (substrate) once every month or two. Have a heat matt on one side of the tank, make sure they have plenty of hides, one on the warm side and one on the cooler side atleast, get some nice decoration stuff (you can get allsorts, logs, vines, branchs etc etc) and jobs a good one. Ive just bought a snow corn female, gonna bet getting another male one to breed very soon.

corns are the best beginner snakes going, very forgiving, they can bite but are very reluctant, and as janobi says handle them well and they will spot on, even if they do bite its no biggy, just a tiny nip, but weve got 5 snakes and im yet to be bit.

here she is, shes five years old and bred a few times, super tame, just likes to wrap herself in a knot around you.

P1050408.jpg

P1050407.jpg

P1050406.jpg

P1050405.jpg

P1050406.jpg

P1050404.jpg

shes called honky.

Last edited:
my advice would be go to a decent reptile shop google it first to see whats near you, what you dont want to do is go to the typical local petshop , no offence to any run of the mill shops, but trust me it will be worth it, a shop that just does reptiles will be worth the travel, speak to the people there, handle a few snakes , trust me if like us, you will instantly want one.

on another note we have just sold the hognoses , so new viv this week and now on the hunt for a decent high end male corn....watch this space ;)

if i get chance i`ll post some vids of feeding them, theres two ways to feed them, pop the feed in a box with the snake and wtch it eat, or strike feed, which mean dangling it by the tale infront of the snake and joggling it a bit, then watch it BANG snaffle the snake in front of you, bit frightening really to see your once tame placid snake in an instant grab the feed and coil itself round it constricting it.

Last edited:
Yeah I am deffo coming mate, although I will be alone as me bird is going to majorca instead the bitch. lol

I would need large mice as Winston and Mogwi are fat fookers. lol. They got for £1 each in the reptile shop where I live. I will deffo bring some money, as this is sounding better and better.

Yeah I am deffo coming mate, although I will be alone as me bird is going to majorca instead the bitch. lol

I would need large mice as Winston and Mogwi are fat fookers. lol. They got for £1 each in the reptile shop where I live. I will deffo bring some money, as this is sounding better and better.

im sure large mice where about 60 or 70 p dont quote me on it, and she might not even be there (i doubt it, she was the only one doing food and had a few freezers there and she sold out realy quick) but yeah if you wanna meet up no probs, will sort phone number out closer to the time.

but yeah should be good crack, lots of snakes to look at and plenty of stuff to buy.

@ munkey

whilst is not morally wrong to feed them live stuff, its not really the norm, live stuff can hurt or damage your snake and it will make it more aggressive, plus they can have parasites etc etc so probably best to stick to frozen, but trust me watching a snake eat something that is 3 times bigger than its head is amazing.

infact we fed the male hognose the other day and the daft coont missed the mouse and proceeded to eat his feckin tail, not once twice!!!

Back